North Texas to Host MEGA camp!!

On 5/10/2018 at 10:58 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

2 of the commits you have listed here had the offers dry up in Bean and Morris.. yes they had offers, but we only got them because we were the last standing offer.. 

And some of the early offers limited who we could pick up at the end.. like the DT from Junction or wherever that was the 3* who committed to SMU..

Didn't Bean commit prior to his senior year?

• Upvote 2

On 5/10/2018 at 9:11 AM, UNTLifer said:

This.

And from scanning Twitter, it is amazing the number of coaches that have sent out "Thank You's" to our staff for stopping by or posting pictures of the HS coach with one of our coaches.  I must say that our coaches are putting in the effort to build those relationships.  Our image is changing in the minds of recruits and coaches because of this hard work and our recent results.

I've heard they're taking a different approach this spring.  Took 1/2 to 3/4 their recruiting time to hit their area and schools within that area.  The remaining time they were evaluating guys they had ranked highly at their position group. Which I really like. 

• Upvote 1

I become more and more convinced that this staff worked really hard to plug some holes the first couple of classes, and that doesn’t necessarily translate into stars and high recruiting rankings. Now that they’ve plugged a lot of those holes, I think the stars may start to show up and drive up the recruiting ranking. Just my $0.02.

• Lovely Take 1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, GMG24 said:

Mega Camp is in reference to the Number of Colleges represented not necessarily what colleges are present.  As for who is showing up, it is 100% ok with me.  Last year we had OU, Oregon, Rice and us.  The kids who showed up at camp for OU or Oregon were likely encouraged to attend the camp so a coach could further evaluate them before offering.  The kids who showed up for those schools lets be honest we have no shot at anyway.  I wish people realized how far behind we are facilities wise even with most G5 programs.  There are so many schools who have more to sell as a program than we do currently.  Yes we are upgrading but those aren't done yet and it is a crutch.  Is that the sole factor for why a kid goes somewhere? No, absolutely not BUT you are a 17/18 year old kid and you go from one campus who has facilities and support then you go to UNT where "It is being built" but you can't physically walk through it see it and be impressed its a hard sell.  

I am the first one who thinks we need to be better at recruiting, but the fact that a high 3 star multiple offers I think over 13 now, kid has committed here even if it is "for now" shows that they are putting in the work.  I am ok with going after guys like Preston from Argyle who we probably don't have a snowballs chance in hell to land.  BC for so long I have complained about not offering high profile guys locally and trying like crazy to land them.  At some point it would be nice if that recruit would tell us hey thanks, but I am looking elsewhere.  At that time we better have some other offers out to guys who can ball and not looking at our 6/7th ranked OL to replace him.   

I guess I am one of the people who don't realize how far behind facilities wise with most G5 programs. Please elaborate, as that's a broad brush.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, wardly said:

I guess I am one of the people who don't realize how far behind facilities wise with most G5 programs. Please elaborate, as that's a broad brush.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Help me realize this.  I don't consider us ahead of the curve,  but never thought of us as behind/below average for G5.

If you compare our current facilities (remove Apogee) for a football program, its pretty embarrasing.  Yes the new Indoor and expansions will help, but I don't think we are anywhere near where we need to be.

Southern Miss Football Locker Room Unveiled to the Players! - YouTube

C-USA: UAB Blazers Practice Facility Tour - YouTube

New UH Football Locker Room - YouTube

WMU Broncos Football Facilities Tour at Waldo Stadium - YouTube

http://govandals.com/facilities/

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/more_wins_elite_facilities_awa.html

http://footballscoop.com/news/video-tour-the-ragin-cajuns-new-athletic-performance-center/

http://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/2016/6/13/facilities-tul-facilities-html.aspx

Just a few I thought of quickly off the top of my head.  I didn't put SMU in here because they have Money we could only dream of having, but their facilities blow ours away also.  

We don't have a big draw for a recruit.  They have done a good job of renovating what they had previously no doubt, but we need the indoor and the other phases to be done ASAP and to be done top notch.  Also look at our weight room/training room compared to these places also.  More than just the nice stadium that we see, its where these kids spend 75-80 percent of their day. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

If you compare our current facilities (remove Apogee) for a football program, its pretty embarrasing.  Yes the new Indoor and expansions will help, but I don't think we are anywhere near where we need to be.

Thanks.  I'll dig into this more later.  Some initial thoughts:

1) Yeah, I've heard about our locker rooms
2) You can't just remove Apogee.  We have it!
3) Lol Idaho, really? (again, I'll check this out)

• Upvote 2

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, GMG24 said:

http://footballscoop.com/news/video-tour-the-ragin-cajuns-new-athletic-performance-center/

Just a few I thought of quickly off the top of my head.  I didn't put SMU in here because they have Money we could only dream of having, but their facilities blow ours away also.  

We don't have a big draw for a recruit.  They have done a good job of renovating what they had previously no doubt, but we need the indoor and the other phases to be done ASAP and to be done top notch.  Also look at our weight room/training room compared to these places also.  More than just the nice stadium that we see, its where these kids spend 75-80 percent of their day. 

I think we are ahead of most Sun Belt,CUSA, and MAC schools, and behind most of those in the MWC and AAC. Overall, we may have work to do, but for every So. Miss. there is a SJSU.

• Lovely Take 2

Once the track stadium is complete, basketball offices are done, IPF is done, and athletic center is expanded, I don't think UNT lands that far from the ones you mentioned above. It takes a little time to pull everything together. This administration seems to be determined to do things the right way, which includes refreshes to facilities sooner than later (see athletic center upgrades, basketball practice facility refresh, locker room refreshes, etc.). I think the refresh piece is the piece that was missed by the last administration. It always took too long. Lobbies, locker rooms, public spaces, etc. should all be refreshed every 3 to 5 years, IMHO. That's a big part of getting longer lives out of buildings and preventing them from feeling so dated. It looks like things are heading in the right direction under current university leadership.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Before RV became AD, the only new dedicated building constructed for athletics since my freshman year of 1961 was the 3000 sq.ft. one story west of the Super Pitt built during Hayden Fry's tenure. We went over 40 years without putting a dime into bricks and sticks so its no wonder we are behind in the arms race. Whatever we do will just put us on a level playing field, much like the new stadium, not give us any advantage.

• Upvote 4

I think all the players that sign with the big brand name schools think they are going to start.  So many of them see very limited playing time at those schools.  That is why there are a lot of transfers from some of the big schools to not so famous schools.  They usually excel at that level because they get to play.  They  just sign with lets say UT and because UT has many good players at the position and they dont get a real shot at showing their skills.  The coaching staff has sell UNT and about starting at UNT.  I dont think good players want to sit on the bench.   They have to convince the kids they will have more visibility to the NFL scouts if they are playing on the field.  

I know it is hard battle to fight.

Interesting the UNM when he said UNM has way better facilities then NMSU.  I guess that does not translate to wins on the field.

15 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I think all the players that sign with the big brand name schools think they are going to start.  So many of them see very limited playing time at those schools.  That is why there are a lot of transfers from some of the big schools to not so famous schools.  They usually excel at that level because they get to play.  They  just sign with lets say UT and because UT has many good players at the position and they dont get a real shot at showing their skills.  The coaching staff has sell UNT and about starting at UNT.  I dont think good players want to sit on the bench.   They have to convince the kids they will have more visibility to the NFL scouts if they are playing on the field.  

I know it is hard battle to fight.

Interesting the UNM when he said UNM has way better facilities then NMSU.  I guess that does not translate to wins on the field.

Again,
We don't want the guy who thinks he could start here, but not start at UT/OU/A&M/etc...  That, to me, is an admission that he's not "good enough" or "can't compete".  This usually translates into the inability to start here either, because guess what?  We have guys who are starting here already, and likely aren't going to roll over & let Mr. 4*-guy just take over.

No one who actually believes they can play at P5s go in thinking they're going to transfer out later.   
We want the guy with the chip on his shoulder because OU didn't offer him even though he would win the Heisman if he were there.

Littrell & Co can't go into a 4* guy's house and pitch him the idea that he wouldn't start at OU, but he'll definitely start here.  That is dishonest both ways, and a slap in the face to the recruit & your current starters.

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

i got your point the first time, sorry when I went to add the info on UNM and NMSU it made me use the same message.  Sorry about that.  I will remind you a gentlemen by the name of marcus trice though.

Trice was certainly a player for us.  But he was also getting run at OU as a freshman before transferring here. 
He didn't transfer here because he wasn't going to play.   
I believe he was a whistelblower about practice violations there or something... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:19 AM, DentonLurker said:

Once the track stadium is complete, basketball offices are done, IPF is done, and athletic center is expanded, I don't think UNT lands that far from the ones you mentioned above. It takes a little time to pull everything together. This administration seems to be determined to do things the right way, which includes refreshes to facilities sooner than later (see athletic center upgrades, basketball practice facility refresh, locker room refreshes, etc.). I think the refresh piece is the piece that was missed by the last administration. It always took too long. Lobbies, locker rooms, public spaces, etc. should all be refreshed every 3 to 5 years, IMHO. That's a big part of getting longer lives out of buildings and preventing them from feeling so dated. It looks like things are heading in the right direction under current university leadership.

BTW, I completely agree, I just want our casual fan to realize there isn't a reason besides (our coaches can't recruit) that guys chose elsewhere.  

9 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Trice was certainly a player for us.  But he was also getting run at OU as a freshman before transferring here. 
He didn't transfer here because he wasn't going to play.   
I believe he was a whistelblower about practice violations there or something... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Trice wasn't going to play at OU, special teams guy for 2 years.  Btw he's landed a coaching gig at. Mesquite Horn for those who care to follow 

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2018 at 9:12 AM, wardly said:

Any event that gives us exposure to DFW high school players is a positive. Besides, there may be a pony or two under the haystack. We just have to look.

Hmmm. Not looking for ponies at a UNT camp. If somebody is a pony he can go lose down in Dallas, what UNT needs is some real high flyers who can claw and scratch.

Edited by outoftown
  • Lovely Take 1

On 5/14/2018 at 11:30 AM, GMG24 said:

You lost me at Idaho..LOL

Rick

• Haha 2