UAB

UNTLifer

I'm conflicted.  Many on here are worried about UAB and I realize we had to make a late drive and FG to beat them.  They also return all of their offense and all but a handful of starters on defense, and the HC is a proven winner, But....

They just don't strike fear in me.  Am I missing something?  I don't want to sound dismissive of them because I don't think we are at any point to dismiss any opponent as easily beatable, but I feel like I am in the minority when counting them as a potential loss next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

33 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I'm conflicted.  Many on here are worried about UAB and I realize we had to make a late drive and FG to beat them.  They also return all of their offense and all but a handful of starters on defense, and the HC is a proven winner, But....

They just don't strike fear in me.  Am I missing something?  I don't want to sound dismissive of them because I don't think we are at any point to dismiss any opponent as easily beatable, but I feel like I am in the minority when counting them as a potential loss next year.

They were such an unknown last year and maybe caught everyone by surprise....I don't think they will have that advantage this year.

Clark is a heckuva coach and motivator.   We play them in Birmingham this year.    This one is going to be a dogfight and will be the crux of the season, regardless of what happens @ Arkansas.  Win this one, and the West is within grasp.   Lose, and require help.

SoMiss will be difficult, as will LATech, but at least we have them at home.  And UTSA's Super Bowl will be in the Alamodome this year, but I still think we win that one too.

• Upvote 1

The UAB games should not have been close at all.  Twice Wilson turned the ball over deep in UAB territory.  We also had Nate Brooks (I believe it was him) who continued his issue of peaking into the backfield and getting burned on deep passes.  It was soon after he was benched.  After the game I felt like we should have won by 21 points if not for Wilson's turnovers and Brooks letting receivers run by him.

I expect UAB to be better this year but I also expect our offense to be better with another year of experience for our returning players.  We should win but if we have a bad game UAB could take it. 

13 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

The UAB games should not have been close at all.  Twice Wilson turned the ball over deep in UAB territory.  We also had Nate Brooks (I believe it was him) who continued his issue of peaking into the backfield and getting burned on deep passes.  It was soon after he was benched.  After the game I felt like we should have won by 21 points if not for Wilson's turnovers and Brooks letting receivers run by him.

I expect UAB to be better this year but I also expect our offense to be better with another year of experience for our returning players.  We should win but if we have a bad game UAB could take it. 

Wilson ran for over 200yds in that game.   We lose that game without him, fumbles or not.
As for Brooks... yeah.   We must hope he's past that, because we're stuck with him this season.  No Jenkins off the bench to spell him.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Not only that, at one point I noticed we were putting in backups on defense.

In addition to mistakes, I think we may had let off the gas too soon. It felt like that in the game.

We came back and won it anyway so shrug.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1