DRC: Way-too-early prediction of how UNT's season will play out

13 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Because you are in the know, I presume.

You question people all the time asking how they know something.. and when Ben does, you go after him?

also, if ben knew... why would he be asking for the bigger school name???  

We have heard stuff about SL being a target (in the past) BUT no one ever says names.. give out a few names if it’s true.. also, don’t say Tennessee, another person on the board did that by coming across it..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/4/2018 at 2:10 PM, SilverEagle said:

No, the WHOLE school, not just game day. Maybe one day North Texas will be able to produce a youtube video celebrating it's multi-generational connectedness like this.......

instead of our usual multi-generational disconnectedness.  I'm still shaking my head over that statement/question that an alumni asked someone who posts on the board........"are we still in the MVC?

And that is why our football (and other sports) game day always looks the way it does...........compartmentalized and unconnected.

The MVC question pretty much says it all.

Unfortunately this will never happen until someone with the power to place their foot down and force the fracturing attitude and behavior to step in line with the rest of us.

What do I mean by "fracturing attitude and behavior"?  I'm talking about certain groups such as... the college of music and their football game day band.  To the college of music....UNT and the Mean Green exists to serve them.....The University of The College of Music at North Texas.  Not the other way around.  Now....the band members are made up of some of our greatest fans.  But their leadership and attitude?....nope.  They could care less about UNT Eagles Fight! Fight! Fight! and the Spirit of the Mean Green.  It doesn't exist and never will until the administration makes them.....or replaces them.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Benny Boy.. still at it I see

When BS speaks to me, I speak back. Your claim is that a practical blueblood program (bc if they're a bigger name than Tech, the next step up is a blueblood or close to it) OFFERED SL and he declined to stay at UNT while applying to a bigger name school than Tech in Tennessee. If I'm running with your words, please stop me. If not, it's just some simple BS. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

i think all teams at this time of year are thinking next year will be a good one.  Stop by the UTEP board they hoping for six wins and a bowl trip. I sure the rest of the CUSA mates feel the same way and many most likely has us as a win because we played very close games with all with the exception of FAU and UTEP.

23 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Unfortunately this will never happen until someone with the power to place their foot down and force the fracturing attitude and behavior to step in line with the rest of us.

What do I mean by "fracturing attitude and behavior"?  I'm talking about certain groups such as... the college of music and their football game day band.  To the college of music....UNT and the Mean Green exists to serve them.....The University of The College of Music at North Texas.  Not the other way around.  Now....the band members are made up of some of our greatest fans.  But their leadership and attitude?....nope.  They could care less about UNT Eagles Fight! Fight! Fight! and the Spirit of the Mean Green.  It doesn't exist and never will until the administration makes them.....or replaces them.

Rick

I doubt any of us will ever live long enough to see that last sentence occur here. The university knows where their bread gets buttered and how the faculty, alumni, and local citizenry OVERWHELMINGLY feels about the College of Music in Denton. We are the extreme minority on this, FFR. We might not even be joined by even 1% of the entire UNT Family.

The College of Music and the Green Brigade are gold around Denton--we still have people who go to a game at Apogee to watch the halftime.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

14 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

When BS speaks to me, I speak back. Your claim is that a practical blueblood program (bc if they're a bigger name than Tech, the next step up is a blueblood or close to it) OFFERED SL and he declined to stay at UNT while applying to a bigger name school than Tech in Tennessee. If I'm running with your words, please stop me. If not, it's just some simple BS. 

What I am saying is Seth Littrell loves it in Denton. He is not sitting waiting  for the first big offer (because he has already got bites, and didn't jump) . He has a very small list of school he would leave North Texas for. I have heard the list is as small at two schools. He isn't leaving for a bottom feeder SEC School or Bottom feeder big 12 .  Also Tech is not held in as high regards as most view it on this board. Post Leach Tech has been a train wreck. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

What I am saying is Seth Littrell loves it in Denton. He is not sitting waiting  for the first big offer (because he has already got bites, and didn't jump) . He has a very small list of school he would leave North Texas for. I have heard the list is as small at two schools. He isn't leaving for a bottom feeder SEC School or Bottom feeder big 12 .  Also Tech is not held in as high regards as most view it on this board. Post Leach Tech has been a train wreck. 

I know you're plugged in, but I just don't buy this at all.  May want to question your source and what their connection is to him.  If it's a source within the University or on staff, why would you think he would ever tell someone he's looking all around, or that he DOESN'T like Denton?   2 schools?  ...makes zero sense.   I will be very very happy if you're right though, because I assume 1 of those 2 schools is OU, and unless Lincoln tanks (which I highly doubt) Littrell ain't going there for a VERY LONG TIME.

Again, just because he likes it here doesn't mean he's staying long.

2 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I've always kinda looked for this, and have only ever actually seen it one time -- during the depths of the Dodge debacle when I don't think anybody could've blamed them. 

Where do you sit?
In section 205, like clockwork, 10-or-so people will pop into our section during halftime, intently watch the band, clap at the end of the show, and then go back to wherever they came from at just about every game.  It's certainly there. 

On 5/5/2018 at 6:22 PM, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Just because he coached out there once upon a time does not mean that he enjoyed the time out there, still longs to be out there again, or any of the such. 

Enjoyed time in Lubbock...  

Has that ever happened?  Even once?  Ever?  

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I know you're plugged in, but I just don't buy this at all.  May want to question your source and what their connection is to him.  If it's a source within the University or on staff, why would you think he would ever tell someone he's looking all around, or that he DOESN'T like Denton?   2 schools?  ...makes zero sense.   I will be very very happy if you're right though, because I assume 1 of those 2 schools is OU, and unless Lincoln tanks (which I highly doubt) Littrell ain't going there for a VERY LONG TIME.

The source is a family friend with Littrell. Zero affiliation with UNT. I don't understand how this is so hard to believe. 

Close to Family

Adminstration 110% support

Making well over a million a year

Job security

If somebody comes in and offers 3 million a year, Seth is human he absolutely will consider it I assume even if it's not on his list. But what point I am trying to make is Seth is not doing What lil Frank in San Antonio is doing an interviewing for every head coaching job from utep to UL. Even tho it hard for the unt beat down writer and Benny Boy to understand that someone truly likes it at UNT. And not just looking to jump ship. But year wait for the right situation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

21 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The source is a family friend with Littrell. Zero affiliation with UNT. I don't understand how this is so hard to believe. 

Close to Family

Job security

If somebody comes in and offers 3 million a year, Seth is human he absolutely will consider it I assume even if it's not on his list. But what point I am trying to make is Seth is not doing What lil Frank in San Antonio is doing an interviewing for every head coaching job from utep to UL. Even tho it hard for the unt beat down writer and Benny Boy to understand that someone truly likes it at UNT. And not just looking to jump ship. But year wait for the right situation. 

OK.  I also want to be clear that bolded above is not what I'm saying either.

What I'm saying is that Littrell is considered an "up-&-comer", and does not see NT as his landing spot, and that he will leave for more opportunities than just "2".    ...Not a matter of "if", but "when".

And folks, please believe me when I say... it's OK!  The sky will not fall when he departs.   Wren just has to be ready to replace him with someone who can keep the momentum going.  Boise has done a great job of this over the years, hiring home run after home run from Houston Nutt in 1997, on.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Close to Family

Job security

Pretty much right on from what I heard too. My source knows SL so I admit I didn't hear it directly from SL. But my source is a frat buddy and pretty high level donor and usually has the scoop. From what I was told, Miss State and Arizona asked him to interview. So did UCF. He declined all three. Maybe it would be different if they just offered him the job and threw $3 million at him. I also think he'd have interviewed at Arkansas and Tennessee if he could have (or maybe he did for all I know). But I think he loves UNT, loves the area and loves his bosses. He knows what he can do here. So it it's going to take $3 million plus paycheck and will need to be a job where he can win in an area he'd enjoy living. 

That's why I don't think TT is a no brainer for SL. I'm not sure they will think he's done enough to just come hard after him exclusively with a bucket full of coin and offer his the gig, and from everything I see and hear from SL and those around him I'm not sure he'd be willing to go be 1 of 5 interviewing for a job he knows is very difficult in Lubbock which is further from he and his wife's family. 

My last point is if SL was on a "money grab" his name would be surfacing for jobs (i.e. Frank, Lane Train). It's the game agents play with a willing client. The fact that it hardly ever does tells me he's happy here and feels taken care of without chasing other jobs constantly like Frank at UTSA. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Pretty much right on from what I heard too. My source knows SL so I admit I didn't hear it directly from SL. But my source is a frat buddy and pretty high level donor and usually has the scoop. From what I was told, Miss State and Arizona asked him to interview. So did UCF. He declined all three. Maybe it would be different if they just offered him the job and threw $3 million at him. I also think he'd have interviewed at Arkansas and Tennessee if he could have (or maybe he did for all I know). But I think he loves UNT, loves the area and loves his bosses. He knows what he can do here. So it it's going to take $3 million plus paycheck and will need to be a job where he can win in an area he'd enjoy living. 

That's why I don't think TT is a no brainer for SL. I'm not sure they will think he's done enough to just come hard after him exclusively with a bucket full of coin and offer his the gig, and from everything I see and hear from SL and those around him I'm not sure he'd be willing to go be 1 of 5 interviewing for a job he knows is very difficult in Lubbock which is further from he and his wife's family. 

My last point is if SL was on a "money grab" his name would be surfacing for jobs (i.e. Frank, Lane Train). It's the game agents play with a willing client. The fact that it hardly ever does tells me he's happy here and feels taken care of without chasing other jobs constantly like Frank at UTSA. 

I would not expect him to interview at any other G5 (UCF included) other than maybe Tulsa... but that's even a stretch.   He makes too much money & has already started building too much here for a lateral move.  Even a slightly-higher level lateral move to a UCF-or-Houston-like school.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The College of Music and the Green Brigade are gold around Denton--we still have people who go to a game at Apogee to watch the halftime.

Unless they are family/friends of a GB member.......they're getting cheated.

AND even if they are family/friends of a GB member, they're still getting cheated.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 5/6/2018 at 10:40 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

You question people all the time asking how they know something.. and when Ben does, you go after him?

also, if ben knew... why would he be asking for the bigger school name???  

We have heard stuff about SL being a target (in the past) BUT no one ever says names.. give out a few names if it’s true.. also, don’t say Tennessee, another person on the board did that by coming across it..

Sorry if that bothered you, but @TheReal_jayD provided the answer/proof above.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Seth Littrell can stay here, build something special, and become a legend. That would awesome.  

GMG 

Agreed. 

40 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Sorry if that bothered you, but @TheReal_jayD provided the answer/proof above.  

Proof? As being offered a job as he initially claimed? If anything, GreenJW provided some substance, but even then it's just an interview invite. All 3 of those programs had their guy very early, so they very well were just doing their due diligence. I would say SL had to of known that and didn't want to waste his time. However, he knew there was turmoil and uncertainty during the Tennessee search and decided to try and ride the gravy train...

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Agreed. 

Proof? As being offered a job as he initially claimed? If anything, GreenJW provided some substance, but even then it's just an interview invite. All 3 of those programs had their guy very early, so they very well were just doing their due diligence. I would say SL had to of known that and didn't want to waste his time. However, he knew there was turmoil and uncertainty during the Tennessee search and decided to try and ride the gravy train...

Not really.  @TheReal_jayD stated what he knew from one of SL's family friends while you are working in speculation with terms like "If" and "I would say."  @TheReal_jayD has proven to be pretty reliable around here.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1