DRC: Way-too-early prediction of how UNT's season will play out

Liberty won't be that close.  Neither will SMU.
If NT loses to both UAB & FAU, UAB will likely hold the tiebreaker over NT to win the West.

The rest is pretty good! 

If the beatdowns are impressive enough weeks 1&2, and we get through both games without injuries, I will likely head up to Fayetteville to watch the program-changing win.

• Lovely Take 2

I don't know if he will leave this year and I don't know if Tech will be the destination when he does leave. But what I do know is that he is not in this thing for the long haul. He's counting his chips...well not really. He's out the door with an FBS P5 HC offer from any and all. And if he's not offered, damnit he's going to apply. We are whipping boys in his eyes that just happen to be the people currently cutting his check. I mean think about it...He played at OU and then coached at Tech, Indy, Arizona, and North Carolina. When teams like us inevitably showed up on the schedule, it wss time to boost those offensive stats and win going away. Now, he fell into what he surely used to view as one of these very holes, player and coach, and he's apparently looking for an exit strategy. I will root for the dubs and chastise harder during the L's for this very reason. Loyalty is 2-way. But it's a financial business and he's gotta get it while he can. That doesn't mean my viewpoint changes due to that. 

To the point, I would be pleased with 9-3. So as long as the cumulative score of those 3 doesn't end up being 1,478,412 to 60. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, dml7007 said:

All true except the part of him leaving for Tech.  I think he will stay here for a while.  No one wants to go to Lubbock, he may be hit by flying tortillas.

Last year when that rumor was flying around, alot of the Tech Fans said "mehhh, SL needs to get more experience, he's not ready for a big-time program like ours" etc.    I LOVE SL..   And as much as i hate to admit it, i think Vito is correct...  Tech might think they're a big-time program, and SL wasnt ready last year, but if KK takes a nose-dive early, Tech fans will be ravenous and immediately be calling for SL.  All we know is what we see in the media, that KK has been given another chance, Tech loves him, etc... In reality, KK was likely pulled into the AD's office and told "This is your final chance...You HAVE to win at least X-number of games next year, in fact, you HAVE to win the first 6 or 7 straight, or we gotta break ties..."   If KK doesnt win his first 6 in a row, SL's phone will light up...KK could be dismissed before the end of the season, and some Assistant takes over until the end of the year....Bank on it....I hate it, but that's how it's gonna play out...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, trud1966 said:

Last year when that rumor was flying around, alot of the Tech Fans said "mehhh, SL needs to get more experience, he's not ready for a big-time program like ours" etc.    I LOVE SL..   And as much as i hate to admit it, i think Vito is correct...  Tech might think they're a big-time program, and SL wasnt ready last year, but if KK takes a nose-dive early, Tech fans will be ravenous and immediately be calling for SL.  All we know is what we see in the media, that KK has been given another chance, Tech loves him, etc... In reality, KK was likely pulled into the AD's office and told "This is your final chance...You HAVE to win at least X-number of games next year, in fact, you HAVE to win the first 6 or 7 straight, or we gotta break ties..."   If KK doesnt win his first 6 in a row, SL's phone will light up...KK could be dismissed before the end of the season, and some Assistant takes over until the end of the year....Bank on it....I hate it, but that's how it's gonna play out...

It would certainly make sense. SL was a Leach disciple, has coached there, and loves the country life that is still close enough to his Oklahoma roots. Plus, Tech has a roster built for his offense. I’d assume he and Graham Harrell would probably be a combo package, but you never know...

14 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

I would sacrifice winning the West for a bowl win! 8-4

As much as I would like to win the west... I might have to agree with this one.  I would rather win a bowl game too I think.  

It was not good for the team to get whipped by FAU in the championship game then head into a bowl game.  I would rather have a big win vs UTSA be the the game they are coming off of heading into a bowl. 

• Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

As much as I would like to win the west... I might have to agree with this one.  I would rather win a bowl game too I think.  

It was not good for the team to get whipped by FAU in the championship game then head into a bowl game.  I would rather have a big win vs UTSA be the the game they are coming off of heading into a bowl. 

If we don't win the West, be ready for either the Frisco Bowl or the New Mexico Bowl.   UAB (or whoever else) will go N.O.  FAU will likely come back to DFW for the HoD (because the HoD wont jerk them around like the Indy Bowl did), unless they get into a big bowl as an at-large.

1.  I'm pegging SMU as a loss at this point.

2.  CUSA Champions>>>Lower-tier bowl win.

3.  I have my doubts whether SL would get the Tech gig unless the team wins CUSA, and even then it's a long shot.  Losses in title games and losses in bowls don't move the needle for a lot of schools.  Not saying SL isn't well on his way, just that there's more work to do in Denton before he gets the gig he wants, IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

HOD is still a bowl? Ok it is the off season so Sl leaves us then where do we go?   Do we hire KK since his offense is what we are built for hope we can find DC who can step up.  Last year it was the offense that carried the team so could KK do that here?

Edited by southsideguy

15 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

HOD is still a bowl? Ok it is the off season so Sl leaves us then where do we go?   Do we hire KK since his offense is what we are built for hope we can find DC who can step up.  Last year it was the offense that carried the team so could KK do that here?

No to Coach Bro.

I don't think Tech would come after Littrell and that is not a knock on SL.  I live in an area full of Tech fans and their is a lot of cash flowing in to that program at this time, and will continue as long as oil prices stay up.  Tech will go after a splashier hire in Kiffen or even Briles Jr. in my opinion.  Plus, I think SL likes working with Baker and Smatresk and the process of building something with them that he can hang his hat on.  Purely my opinion, no facts to back that up.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

No to Coach Bro.

I don't think Tech would come after Littrell and that is not a knock on SL.  I live in an area full of Tech fans and their is a lot of cash flowing in to that program at this time, and will continue as long as oil prices stay up.  Tech will go after a splashier hire in Kiffen or even Briles Jr. in my opinion.  Plus, I think SL likes working with Baker and Smatresk and the process of building something with them that he can hang his hat on.  Purely my opinion, no facts to back that up.

That doesn't mean he's going to decide to stay around here if he gets a P5 opportunity.

tenor.gif

I agree about Kingsbury replaced by Littrell, unless Littrell goes 14-0/13-1.   The oil-rich delusional boosters in Lubbock truly believe their job should be envied by Bill Belichick.

Why Tech would hire someone who hasn't won their conference and maybe they won one bowl out of three...Hummm. And " ifffy" on recruiting. That's a hard sell if ur a Tech fan....they got this scenario now...

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

54 minutes ago, LongJim said:

1.  I'm pegging SMU as a loss at this point.

2.  CUSA Champions>>>Lower-tier bowl win.

3.  I have my doubts whether SL would get the Tech gig unless the team wins CUSA, and even then it's a long shot.  Losses in title games and losses in bowls don't move the needle for a lot of schools.  Not saying SL isn't well on his way, just that there's more work to do in Denton before he gets the gig he wants, IMO.

I agree with you completely, but Chad Morris says Hi from Fayetteville after accomplishing much less at SMU

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

defense is still a monumental letdown

Agree, but when I look at current day high school and college football, defense is a monumental letdown in most programs.  Sure, there are a few good defenses out there, but the emphasis in general across the board is on offense and video game scores.  

I definitely miss Skladany and that 2013 defense though. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, defense is still a monumental letdown and a couple games we pulled out last year, will not be pulled out the same way this year.

7-5

English added to NT rotation with Tauaalo, allows Young to move outside & stay there.  This instantly makes the DL better... which will improve LB play.   The defense will be better than last year.