2 C-USA QBs drafted in 2018

outoftown

On 4/29/2018 at 12:09 PM, Cr1028 said:

He wasn’t the same after the Army game collision with captain cheapshot. I truly believe Bussey is every bit as good as Guyton and just a step slower.

Guyton, Bussey, White, and Smith should all be NFL prospects. While Guyton has a shot, I’d bet that Bussey performs best in the overall draft testing when his time comes. He is freaky athletic. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2018 at 3:37 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

There's also a bunch of stories of high school players from small programs with huge stats and good size who get zero college attention because they play in small ball New Mexico or wherever else. Mason's size didn't help but I have no doubt if he put up those numbers in 5A or 6A Texas ball, he would have gotten many offers. Kyler Murray, former nunber 1 Dual Threat Qb, is listed at 5'11" and 190 lbs on OU's page and was about the same size as Mason out of high school. Difference is he played at Allen.

If Fine were a few inches taller he would have gotten into any P5 school he wanted.

13 hours ago, greenminer said:

If Fine were a few inches taller he would have gotten into any P5 school he wanted.

Probably. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2322488-the-best-football-prospect-nobodys-ever-heard-of

Kid above was 6'3" 200 pounds, went 13-0 his senior year 6A New Mexico with 49/6 TD/Int.

If Fine or the kid above played for 5A or 6A in Texas with those stats, they would have probably gotten into any P5. That's the difference between Kyler Murray of Allen and Fine. Same goes for smaller guys in other football rich states such as Florida and California. The examples are out there. If you play in a less football rich state it seems like you need better measurements and even that isn't always enough.

Seeing Kyler Murray being mentioned above got me thinking, size is his only comparable to MF.  

Unless Murray goes crazy at OU he will leave college football no where near the college player that Fine has become.  He's in his 4th year of college football and has done practically nothing.  Skill wise, he's nothing but a quick set of legs(which won't last for long in the Big 12)... and has no where near the arm Fine has. 

OU and Ok State truly flubbed it the day they let their state's best arm and football mind leave south of the Red River.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Seeing Kyler Murray being mentioned above got me thinking, size is his only comparable to MF.  

Unless Murray goes crazy at OU he will leave college football no where near the college player that Fine has become.  He's in his 4th year of college football and has done practically nothing.  Skill wise, he's nothing but a quick set of legs(which won't last for long in the Big 12)... and has no where near the arm Fine has. 

OU and Ok State truly flubbed it the day they let their state's best arm and football mind leave south of the Red River.

Rick

Agreed. I only brought up Murray to show that Fine's recruitment would have been different if he played for a Texas power regardless of size. There are two things that players can't control that greatly impact recruitment and Fine lost in those two areas: size and high school state/classification. People have been downplaying his pro chances due to his size and using his high school recruitment as an example when really UNT will likely play the same role as Locust Grove: small program in a weaker conference that will end up being used against him. If he played for a P5 his size wouldn't matter. Hopefully I'm proven wrong! GMG!

Edited by GMG_Dallas

I think of the  state/classification as two factors: 1) exposure and 2) quality/depth of competition

1) lack of exposure at the lower levels is not an issue when you are two-time state player of the year.  The programs will know about you.

2) I think this factors more into the trenches, and less for skill positions.  When you've got speed and/or an arm, people will identify it.

My 0.02.  Would love to hear counter-point.

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think of the  state/classification as two factors: 1) exposure and 2) quality/depth of competition

1) lack of exposure at the lower levels is not an issue when you are two-time state player of the year.  The programs will know about you.

2) I think this factors more into the trenches, and less for skill positions.  When you've got speed and/or an arm, people will identify it.

My 0.02.  Would love to hear counter-point.

1) I know Wilson didn't have the accolades but as an RB, I think his stats compared yet he wasn't heavily recruited and played 2A ball in Texas. Size was not an issue. Oklahoma teams knew about Fine but were deterred by size and where he played.

2) the problem with speed or an arm is, it still depends on opposition. It isn't always hard to look good as a QB when you're playing opposing secondaries that look like some Texas middle school secondaries. Overall the talent levels aren't as spread out throughout the roster which is what creates concerns. Doesn't matter if it's the trenches or skill positions, you need to be flat out dominant and have the size if you want to be taken seriously from a smaller state/classification.

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2018 at 10:47 AM, UNTexas said:

I know we can never actually know a players height and current weight from the media guide or websites, so, exactly how tall is Mason Fine?

From The Athletic:

What Fine won’t be able to build on or change is his height. He stands at 5’10 ¼” (he jokingly ensures you don’t forget about that last quarter inch), a short stature for any quarterback playing Division 1 football and very short by NFL standards.

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2018 at 6:28 AM, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Tulsa was the biggest loser in that argument—Fine could easily start there. He’s great, but he wouldn’t get the chances at OU or OSU because of their QB depth. But tulsa doesn’t have that...thank God that SL could see that his QBs he inherited weren’t going to be anywhere near what he needed for his scheme and had ties to Oklahoma HS Coaches to get Fine to come down here.

• Upvote 1