2 C-USA QBs drafted in 2018

outoftown

And neither of them was as good last season as Mason Fine,  the C-USA offensive player of the year 2017.  13 QBs were drafted overall.

Despite his small frame, if Mason keeps this productivity up, he will get drafted. He doesn't even need to improve much, he just needs to stay healthy.

As an aside, C-USA had 10 players drafted. Obviously, that is just a snapshot, but that is twice as many as the MAC (5), and 3 times as many as the belt (3), and just a tad more than the MWC (9). Its a pity UNT couldn't get in on the party, but it is well on its way to getting there.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

Jalen Guyton is our guy. He needs to have a huge year, but he showed game-breaking ability at receiver. I have no idea how he completely disappeared after that amazing run of games, but if he can get his consistency to where it needs to be, he has a better chance than anyone we've had in recent memory at getting drafted

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Jalen Guyton is our guy. He needs to have a huge year, but he showed game-breaking ability at receiver. I have no idea how he completely disappeared after that amazing run of games, but if he can get his consistency to where it needs to be, he has a better chance than anyone we've had in recent memory at getting drafted

He wasn’t the same after the Army game collision with captain cheapshot. I truly believe Bussey is every bit as good as Guyton and just a step slower.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, outoftown said:

Despite his small frame, if Mason keeps this productivity up, he will get drafted. He doesn't even need to improve much, he just needs to stay healthy. 

Masons HS stats were astronomical and twice he was the Oklahoma player of the year. Despite all that, we were his only offer because of his height.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think this is very similar to what we will see from him as he finishes in Denton and fishes for the NFL.

Edited by greenminer

2 hours ago, badnewspears said:

Fine’s size will keep him from being drafted and even signing as a free agent in the NFL but his work over the next year along with the offense can put us on the map to recruit a future QB who could blaze that trail. 

Fine was only about 10-20 pounds lighter than Wilson when drafted and mason has another 2 seasons.. he is the same height or darn close to it according to the UNT Website and the senior bowl/combine listing I believe. The important thing for Fine is to put up #s and hopefully SL/GH Work in some under center stuff as well to atleast get him aware of that at the next level.

also, the #1 pick, Mayfield, was shorter than 6’ foot.. if you can run the system and have solid leadership they will find you 

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Buttons thing was partially him, but I also think the scheme as well. Guyton didn’t move around much in the formation, and was usually covered by the #1 CB or doubled which opened it up for Rico, Lawerence, etc. Also, I think Guyton has trouble with press (he said he needed to improve on it himself.) 

Here is to hoping they move him around and motion him more, and that guys like Rico, White, etc can step up and prevent teams from rolling coverage to Guyton as much.

Unfortunately players are judged not just on their performance but the "measurables" that draft talking-heads always discuss, success of their team, schedule of opponents, history of their school...that's why it always surprises people when players like Brees, Russell Wilson, Darren Sproles, etc. succeed. They just didn't fit the mold of the prototypical player.

When you put everything together for the ideal QB, you get someone like Sam Darnold who went to a school with pedigree (USC), had the right height, weight, and was drafted third and projected #1 since last year even though his performance this past year was just so-so. Yeah, Mayfield may be 6' or just under, but his performance, OU, Big-12, and persona thrust him to the Heisman and from there to the Browns at #1.

For Fine it's the combination of his size, perception of UNT, and C-USA that will sadly outweigh performance. Maybe he could get away with his size were he at Michigan or Clemson, Georgia or Oregon, or if he was 6'4"/225 lbs. and here he'd get consideration from teams, but those are not reality.

• Upvote 2

The Cowboys signed 2 CUSA  QBs.   

Mike White from Western Kentucky had the 4th most passing yards in the FBS last year and the 5th most in 2016.  He could make the team.

Dalton Sturm  from UTSA signed as a free agent.  The biggest thing about him is he rushed for 545  yards last year and 1,227 yards for  his career.

• Lovely Take 1

30 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Speaking of Darnold, he's my pick to bust.

Back on topic, I was shocked MacGoo from FIU was picked.

He might I am not sure... but how that boy from Wyoming (his numbers are baaaad, that almost always translates to bad number in the NFL too)  got drafted so high is a complete mystery to me. I see him not as a probable, but rather as a certain bust.

edit: just to clarify: with numbers I mean his passing accuracy stats

Edited by outoftown

12 minutes ago, outoftown said:

He might I am not sure... but how that boy from Wyoming (his numbers are baaaad, that almost always translates to bad number in the NFL too)  got drafted so high is a complete mystery to me. I see him not as a probable, but rather as a certain bust.

See: Alex McGough

Stats: Yeah, well C-USA and all

Height: 6'3" WOWZA

Weight: 215 lbs GET HIM ON THE PHONE

Mike White is actually a good talent, and has a better shot to stick than Sturm and McGough, imo.

On 4/29/2018 at 12:27 PM, greenminer said:

Masons HS stats were astronomical and twice he was the Oklahoma player of the year. Despite all that, we were his only offer because of his height.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think this is very similar to what we will see from him as he finishes in Denton and fishes for the NFL.

There's also a bunch of stories of high school players from small programs with huge stats and good size who get zero college attention because they play in small ball New Mexico or wherever else. Mason's size didn't help but I have no doubt if he put up those numbers in 5A or 6A Texas ball, he would have gotten many offers. Kyler Murray, former nunber 1 Dual Threat Qb, is listed at 5'11" and 190 lbs on OU's page and was about the same size as Mason out of high school. Difference is he played at Allen.

• Lovely Take 1