Jeffery Wilson Draft Profile

Salsa_Verde

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not saying it's not correct, but why the need to add a negative in on the celebration for these 3?

Because these UDFA guys going into the NFL camps were still having accidents on themselves the last time a UNT player was drafted. It's turning into an issue. A significant recruiting issue. No one is raining on anyone's parade, just pointing out a fact. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 10

1- Great Lansing spot for Wilson. Shannon’s history with RBs is impressive from Alfred Morris, to Coleman (another SL player), Freeman in ATL. Up and coming offense as well. If Wilson can put on a show, and stay healthy this could be a very impressive spot. From what I recall as well McKinnon a veteran RB that the 49ers added, was a 3rd downback which gives me hope Wilson could stick because of his pass blocking potentially.

2- Moore is in a spot that TB has had trouble with kickers.. they took one in the 2nd RD recently and had to cut him then brought in  a former Cowboys kicker. While not a sexy addition, could be a solid spot and another guy who could potentially stick. 

3- McClain I think may have the hardest road to make the roster, but with a new staff in OAK, maybe McClain is a fit for them or someone who can be developed. Also, with Gurden there I feel like that alone will bring many evaluators which could help McClain find another team or an active team if he is put on the practice squad 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Because these UDFA guys going into the NFL camps were still having accidents on themselves the last time a UNT player was drafted. It's turning into an issue. A significant recruiting issue. No one is raining on anyone's parade, just pointing out a fact. 

Honest question: do we have evidence of this, or is this just unfounded hyperbole/assumption being used to shock people and get them upset about a negative?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Honest question: do we have evidence of this, or is this just unfounded hyperbole/assumption being used to shock people and get them upset about a negative?

It’s very apparent.. programs that sends kids to the next level often get better recruits.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I mean our recruiting history is pretty concrete evidence. Sure, other variables are meshed in there, but the high rates 3 star guys that have options surely takes that into consideration. And if they're not taking it into consideration, I can assure the staff's at La tech, UTSA, UTEP, So Miss, etc. are taking it into consideration for them with some friendly negative recruiting against us. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

I think our history of poor coaching choices, lacking facilities, and lack of wins hurt our recruiting more than a lack of NFL draftees.  Taking care of those will result in better talent being attracted, which is happening now, and that will lead to an end of this drought.  If La Tech, UTSA, UTEP and Southern Miss are using that against us, I would counter with the fact that we beat all 4 last year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I think our history of poor coaching choices, lacking facilities, and lack of wins hurt our recruiting more than a lack of NFL draftees.  Taking care of those will result in better talent being attracted, which is happening now, and that will lead to an end of this drought.  If La Tech, UTSA, UTEP and Southern Miss are using that against us, I would counter with the fact that we beat all 4 last year.

There is no If, they are. And they smartly should continue. Also, our head up recruiting battles vs these programs outside of UTEP tells a vivid story. And us beating them 1 year doesn't and didn't change the very clear recruiting narrative. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

We can't worry about what others say about us in the recruiting game. Every team bad mouths their opposition. It is what it is. UT won recruiting titles for years but outside of the war Vince Young led them to the title, people claimed they underperformed. We have to continue to improve our facilities, repair our reputation with local coaches, win on the field and develop our talent regardless of their rating/stars when they sign. Our opponents will always come up with something, real or imagined, to use against us in the recruiting game just like they do with every opponent. 

Keep watering our own grass!

NFL Draft history is one of many things they can use against us, and I agree with @UNTLifer: it is probably way down the list in terms of impact.  Unless you have a recording/experience of an in-home visit, we are all assuming anyways.

I would like to look at this another way: what goes on within our program with history/presentation/on-field performance the last 5-ish years is much more important than anything long-term.  When you look at anything historically, you have to consider that most of these recruits don't really have an opinion of college football programs before they became fans or started playing, unless their dads/families imprinted specifics on them.

I think the most important things are: are we winning recently, and how are our relationships with their HS coaches?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We just graduated McCarney's best class. 

We're are still a couple years away before Littrell high school guys start graduating.

I would eye Guyton as the next possible draftable talent if he continues his pre-not-targeting-but-it-was-targeting success.

What will be interesting to see on the recruiting front is if SL does leave after this season, who we hire to lead the program and keep momentum moving upward. My guess is that its Graham Harrell, just because of his name and the fact the most TX HS Coaches and parents know his name and that his father was a successful HS coach here in Texas for so long.

We can't keep coming in behind UTSA, La Tech, and others in recruiting. It will eventually get us right back to the place we left a few years ago. 

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

What will be interesting to see on the recruiting front is if SL does leave after this season

Why, why, why does this always come up?  Why can't we enjoy this without thinking SL is jumping ship the first chance he gets?

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Why, why, why does this always come up?  Why can't we enjoy this without thinking SL is jumping ship the first chance he gets?

He applied for the Tennessee job when it was open. What makes you think he won’t be looking/be looked at if we have another good season?

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

If you honestly don't have this on your radar, you're not going to handle the surprise well.

We can enjoy the ride and prepare our minds for the departure at the same time.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Because he is applying to open jobs? So, if anything in the realm of a P5 job opens up and sniffs around at him he's gone. Or he'll sniff around if something opens up like in this case. It's obvious that he is not looking to be the next Gary Patterson or the next Chris Peterson at Boise, but he too even eventually jumped ship. And if you still can't see the writing on the wall, his track record as a coordinator should fill in the missing pieces of the puzzle for you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If you honestly don't have this on your radar, you're not going to handle the surprise well.

We can enjoy the ride and prepare our minds for the departure at the same time.

I do, but every time we talk about a success of some kind it is followed up with a "wondering when SL will up and leave" comment.  His agent is doing his job getting his name out there, which is what he is paid to do, but let's all work to make North Texas a place that will be really difficult to leave should the opportunity arise.

10 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I’m interested to know the specifics of his contract with the 49ers. I haven’t found anything on it yet. 

Wilson got a 3-year contract, but the post did not get into specifics in terms of $. He should be in training camp. 

https://www.49ers.com/news/49ers-announce-roster-moves

No idea about McClain or Moore, but I would assume Rookie Camp tryouts, then potentially if they perform great then a Training Camp tryout.

Edited by BTG_Fan1