Know Your Program

UNTLifer

6 hours ago, meanrob said:

Would have to think a while for my Rushmore but I'll say this. Every single password and code in my life has the number 34 in it. I know JaQuay Wilburn wasn't our greatest running back, but that dude is so underrated and was fun to watch. 

And one of the greatest football names was a RB from the same era....."Hut" Allread. 

• Upvote 1

I can't disagree with Big Joe, Coach Mitchell, and Abner Haynes.  But as much as I loved Lance, I don't think he's quite Mount Rushmore-status.  For the 4th spot, I'd probably have to go with Steve Ramsey, with Patrick Cobbs, Ray Renfro, and Byron Gross (agree w/GTWT) giving him and Coach Mitchell a tough battle.

Cedric Hardman would be right there with them if he played more than 2 years.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I can't disagree with Big Joe, Coach Mitchell, and Abner Haynes.  But as much as I loved Lance, I don't think he's quite Mount Rushmore-status.  For the 4th spot, I'd probably have to go with Steve Ramsey, with Patrick Cobbs, Ray Renfro, and Byron Gross (agree w/GTWT) giving him and Coach Mitchell a tough battle.

Cedric Hardman would be right there with them if he played more than 2 years.

I can't see why Lance would be eliminated if Pat is considered.   Lance is the all-time leading rusher in school history.

The rest, even Lance's spot in a Mt. Rushmore, I agree with you. 
Gross only hurt because his days were in 1AA, not "big boy football".  So I'd have to argue him with Craig Robertson (only 5 less tackles over his career), even though Craig is hurt by playing on some atrocious teams.  Ray Renfro is certainly qualified.  Ramsey as well... feels weird not having a QB on your Mt. Rushmore, so I'd probably lean with him... for now.  His school records are in some SERIOUS JEOPARDY right now.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I can't see why Lance would be eliminated if Pat is considered.   Lance is the all-time leading rusher in school history.

Yes, I considered that.  But when a player receives national accolades, that counts for a lot, especially for a national rushing leader.  Throw in P.C.'s leadership attributes, and the fact that P.C. played on conference championship teams versus mediocre teams...again, I love Lance, but I'd have to give the edge to P.C.

• Lovely Take 1

Good article.  Byron Gross was a great NT player but not close to the top 4.   If I had to pick 4 to be on the mountain:  Coach Mitchell, Abner Haynes, Joe Greene, Steve Ramsey.  

Both Coach Mitchell and Haynes were pivotal figures in civil rights as well as in athletics.  Greene would be on any school's Rushmore.  Ramsey held numerous national records.   

Booger Kennedy would replace Mitchell if it was players only.  I find Kennedy's two conference mvp awards incredible for a defensive lineman.   Fine may force someone off the mountain after he concludes his career. 

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The rest, even Lance's spot in a Mt. Rushmore, I agree with you. 
Gross only hurt because his days were in 1AA, not "big boy football".  So I'd have to argue him with Craig Robertson (only 5 less tackles over his career), even though Craig is hurt by playing on some atrocious teams.  Ray Renfro is certainly qualified.  Ramsey as well... feels weird not having a QB on your Mt. Rushmore, so I'd probably lean with him... for now.  His school records are in some SERIOUS JEOPARDY right now.

Ha ha ha!!! I'd be happy to introduce you to him and watch you try and explain that one.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

I don't know about our "Mount Rushmore" , but I do have a suggestion for the stadium and a question.

My suggestion is that the Randy Galloway article published back in 1967.....https://orgsync.com/8405/custom_pages/664  be reproduced (twice) on a metal plate like you see in state/national parks and one be mounted at the east entrance area where the most foot traffic goes by it, and the other one mounted on the home side. That way everyone entering the stadium will have a chance to read an important part of our history. And more importantly, the real story of how we came to be known as the "Mean Green" can be consistently told.

I suggest this because, so far, our University has done a piss poor job of consistently conveying this story. 

And this leads to a question.

How many of the original Mean Green defense, as portrayed in the 1967  Randy Galloway article (besides Joe Greene) have been voted into the HOF?  If the answer is none, then I suggest that a special enshrining into the HOF should take place for all of these players that worked their collective asses off in anonymity to give our athletic program it's VERY UNIQUE nickname. 

And while I'm at it. How about voting Sydney Graham into the HOF for coming up with the nickname in the first place?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Ha ha ha!!! I'd be happy to introduce you to him and watch you try and explain that one.

Rick

As long as I can bring Craig with me!

In all seriousness, I have no doubt he’s a great player, but I’m sure the guys on the team during the transition would agree the level of football between the divisions is quite different.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

In all seriousness, I have no doubt he’s a great player, but I’m sure the guys on the team during the transition would agree the level of football between the divisions is quite different.

The article does a good job of pointing out that he dominated against "big boy" teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

There's no doubt that Greene, Haynes and Mitchell are worthy because all three are in the Texas Hall of Fame.  My choice for the fourth would be Ray Renfro.  I was lucky enough to see him play most of his career at North Texas and I've got to say he was faster than anyone else on the field.  But he wasn't just fast; he was a very good runner and receiver.  In fact, as I recall he was All-Pro several times when he was with the Cleveland Browns.  The fact that his number has been retired speaks volumes to his worthiness.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A 5th of his career was against (P5) SWC or Big 8 opponents.

#1 Oklahoma

TCU

Texas Tech

Texas

Rice

K State

SMU(twice)

#12 Texas A&M

Rick

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You need to see the schedules Gross played, especially the OOC portion.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Huff said:

I agree with Rick.  Our daughter is friends with Byron Gross and he looks like he could run a few wind sprints and be ready to play again.   He is a good man who still represents North Texas really well wherever he goes. 

Boy he was a heck of a player.  Remember him well.

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Boy he was a heck of a player.  Remember him well.

I tried out and got invited to camp that Spring in '88 as a walk-on punter and got to know him and that entire team very well.  My roommate was on the team also..  And so when I remember the looks on all their faces after that last of three terrible calls at Texas that night after playing the entire game so damn well,....it upsets me still to this day.

Rick

• Upvote 1