ODU new stadium info

19 hours ago, Harry said:

FAU’s stadium has a beautiful backdrop and location near the beach.  I do not think the stadium itself is physically better than ours.

That's subjective.  Its not next to the beach, I spent a late Friday through Sunday there and didn't even see the beach flying in and out of FLL and staying/eating/etc in Boca.

My observations: The stadium pushed off in the back section of their campus, isn't visible from the main road, and the road to it from the main road isn't scenic or giving a nice showcase of the campus.  I enjoyed the small section near the endzone with beach lounge chairs and palm trees just as an area to sit before going to the seats (you can't see the field).  The bleacher seats were awkward to get to.  You had to walk up a rather large flight of stairs only to walk back down to the seats only a few rows above the field.  The concourse isn't really nice, I don't remember a lot of TV's to see the game when I was waiting for 30+ minutes to get a beer, not all concessions had alcohol, and they literally ran out of beer at the CUSA championship game which wasn't half full.  Nothing around the stadium is nice, its a sea of parking lots with no shade and no grass you can tailgate on.

Source: I flew to Boca and watched us get decimated at the CUSA championship game. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ok — it’s near the beach at least this picture seems to indicate that.  Or at least by the water?

fau_stadium.jpg

I love real estate developers... If you ever see a conceptual drawing of any commerical (or in this case sports) development and see beautiful green fields just assume it's actually big beautiful parking fields.

That whole area behind the stands that say FAU  and the endzone stands to the left of the press box tower in the pic is parking lots and 2/3 story cheap ugly architecture college buildings.

There's quite a bit a development between the stadium and the water... like miles of other stuff.

Its like saying SMU's stadium is built on the shores of White Rock Lake.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

@Harry, FAU stadium is 2+ miles to the beach as crow flies.

My guess is you might be able to see the beach, but your image doesn't really convey true distance.

FAU Beach.jpg

Hey, that's how far it was from a front row, 50 yard line seat at Fouts to the field.

• Haha 7
  • Downvote 1

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8899325,-76.3041759,14.75z

My post about "NOVA" and rising water was not meant to start a piss fight. It appears to be a future concern for the whole campus, not just the stadium.

If you zoom in on the campus, you will see a marker that says something like "campus seal"...here 'tis:

200w.gif

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8899325,-76.3041759,14.75z

My post about "NOVA" and rising water was not meant to start a piss fight. It appears to be a future concern for the whole campus, not just the stadium.

If you zoom in on the campus, you will see a marker that says something like "campus seal"...here 'tis:

200w.gif

A Norfolk native here.

Yes, the flooding of Norfolk is a very real problem for not only ODU but for the entire city. Just google "Norfolk Floods" and you will see what I mean. I am fortunate to own three beach front properties and worry how long it will be before the bay closes in.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

A Norfolk native here.

Yes, the flooding of Norfolk is a very real problem for not only ODU but for the entire city. Just google "Norfolk Floods" and you will see what I mean. I am fortunate to own three beach front properties and worry how long it will be before the bay closes in.

In doing my "research" I went to the City of Norfolk website, among other places. They have a lot of info about your flooding and what they are attempting to do about it. It is a serious situation and I wish you all the best with your investments. There is nothing worse than rising water, which is why I commented about the huge stadium investment in that location. Do you have a ballpark guess as to the elevation of the general area around campus? Just curious.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

In doing my "research" I went to the City of Norfolk website, among other places. They have a lot of info about your flooding and what they are attempting to do about it. It is a serious situation and I wish you all the best with your investments. There is nothing worse than rising water, which is why I commented about the huge stadium investment in that location. Do you have a ballpark guess as to the elevation of the general area around campus? Just curious.

It's about 5 to 7 feet in most places in the city. Norfolk is surrounded by water, primarily the Chesapeake Bay and the Elizabeth River so combine the low elevation with the rising water and we have a big problem on our hands. 

Returning to the proposed stadium, another problem faced by ODU is the high density of the city. There is nowhere to go unless you exercise Eminent Domain and you can only imagine how popular that can be. Basically, they are stuck with the existing stadium and can only improve upon that. 

• Thanks 3

ODU's present stadium which seats 21,000 was built in 1936. Even so, they had over 12,500 season ticket's sold last year, and have sold out all home games the past 8 seasons. I talked with 2 guys from ODU's Athletic Department at CUSA tournament and make no mistake about it; their goal is to join AAC.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

Just like New Orleans, Houston and so many other coastal regions.......the Hampton Roads area has been flooding for centuries. So you'd think lessons of the past about building in flood-prone areas wouldn't be ignored?

https://www.weather.gov/media/akq/miscNEWS/hurricanehistory.pdf

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, greenminer said:

We all have our moments.  This, good sir, is one of your's.

The UNT golf course was a goat farm with no irrigation system. It also was the only area available to UNT for expansion, so R.V. didn't kill the golf course, he used the land to build a stadium ,athletic administration building, athletic dorm,etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Just like New Orleans, Houston and so many other coastal regions.......the Hampton Roads area has been flooding for centuries. So you'd think lessons of the past about building in flood-prone areas wouldn't be ignored?

https://www.weather.gov/media/akq/miscNEWS/hurricanehistory.pdf

Rick

Yes, I remember most of those hurricanes from 1953 onwards (!) and we always took a beating from them but it is the addition of the tidal flooding we are seeing now. This did not happen when I was a child there.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Yes, I remember most of those hurricanes from 1953 onwards (!) and we always took a beating from them but it is the addition of the tidal flooding we are seeing now. This did not happen when I was a child there.

Like historical records show....it's been flooding for centuries.  The more you build the worst the damage.  So what happens?  You keep on building.  Smh.

Rick

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I was a Jaclyn Smith guy myself.  She's not dead yet.  There's still hope. 

Ran in to Ms. Smith at a hamburger joint off of Foutainview in Houston about 10 years or so ago.  Absolutely beautiful woman and extremely friendly.