DRC: Examining UNT's 2018 schedule

Brett Vito

@Mean Green Maniac, this is mainly for you...(glad you finally joined)

Sept. 1: SMU - Sloppy play by the ponies gives us a close W, with the help of the home crowd.

Sept. 8: Incarnate Word - W. That's all I've got to say 'bout that.

Sept. 15: at Arkansas - Close L, but an L all the same. Prolly a breakaway on a roundabout caused by missed assignments.

Sept. 22: at Liberty - Easy W, despite concerns.

Sept. 29: Louisiana Tech - Surprisingly convincing W.

Oct. 6: at UTEP - W.

Oct. 13: Southern Miss - W.

Oct.20: at UAB - L. Blazers play the spoilers and get vengeance for last year.

Oct. 27: Rice - W.

Nov. 10: at Old Dominion - W.

Nov. 17: Florida Atlantic - L.

Nov. 24: at Texas-San Antonio - W, simply because I have to believe we get it.

Finish regular season 9-3, miss the conference championship because the Blazers end up being that good, but win the bowl game against a high-profile G5 to get to double-digit wins.

Edited by Tyler Maryak
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2018 at 8:00 PM, Harry said:

They seem to be trending upward, offering a higher caliber of player and making significant upgrades in coaching and facilities.  They just landed the top FCS rusher Josh Mack although he will not be eligible this year.  CJ Yarbrough a 3-star athlete picked them over Virginia according to this article.

Really? Good god man, you have battered fan syndrome worse than anyone!!

Have some pride and faith in the Mean Green!

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Tyler Maryak said:

Sept. 1: SMU - Sloppy play by the ponies gives us a close W, with the help of the home crowd.

Sept. 15: at Arkansas - Close L, but an L all the same. Prolly a breakaway on a roundabout caused by missed assignments.

Sept. 22: at Liberty - Easy W, despite concerns.

Sept. 29: Louisiana Tech - Surprisingly convincing W.

Oct. 6: at UTEP - W.

Oct. 13: Southern Miss - W.

Oct.20: at UAB - L. Blazers play the spoilers and get vengeance for last year.

Oct. 27: Rice - W.

Nov. 10: at Old Dominion - W.

Nov. 17: Florida Atlantic - L.

Nov. 24: at Texas-San Antonio - W, simply because I have to believe we get it.

Finish regular season 9-3, miss the conference championship because the Blazers end up being that good, but win the bowl game against a high-profile G5 to get to double-digit wins.

I like this, although I'll believe it only when I see us beat UTSA down there. Those people get fired up for their Super Bowl every year. Its amazing to see a team in Texas that cares so much about beating us--never dreamed that day would happen.

I see us at 9-3 on the top end, but 7-5 on the bottom side. SMU, LT, @ODU, and @UTSA are the tossups that add to strongly probable wins over IW, Liberty, UTEP, USM, Rice. I don't see us beating Arky, UAB, or FAU, either...

• Upvote 3

Sept. 1: SMU - W- We really need to win this, losing to them for the past couple times sucks.. First year SMU coach. The game should be in our favor. 

Sept. 8: Incarnate Word - W. And glad this is in the beginning of the season. More like a scrimmage to help us prepare for Ark.  

Sept. 15: at Arkansas - L.. I really hope UNT proves me wrong, but hey maybe we can punch a win against Chad Morris finally. It would really set us up for some high attendance in Denton the rest of the season beating SEC. 

Sept. 22: at Liberty - W, And I don't think it will be even close to a nailbitter.

Sept. 29: Louisiana Tech - W- And a repeat type game of last year against them. 

Oct. 6: at UTEP - W- UTEP gets trampled 

Oct. 13: Southern Miss - W- I think this one will be really competitive 

Oct.20: at UAB - L- But this one could go either way. 

Oct. 27: Rice - W- Simply a W

Nov. 10: at Old Dominion - W- Simply a W

Nov. 17: Florida Atlantic - L. FAU is doing everything right. EVERYTHING. And I just don't think UNT is firing on all cylinders to beat them. 

Nov. 24: NutsaCK - W- I'll always mark that as a W. Just because I hate them to the point I think a win should never associate with KFC

• Lovely Take 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, Harry said:

I suspect Liberty will be a lot tougher than people think.

Correct! People that overlook Liberty because, for whatever reason, they do not like the University itself, are in for a rude awakening.  The Liberty program, while newish, is a legit D1 program with nice facilities and donors willing to step up and make them even better. 

I fully expect UNT to win, but would not fall done in complete shock if UNT lost at Liberty's place this season. I am thinking of going to this game just to see what this Liberty U thing is all about.  I have driven by the campus and saw the stadium...both campus and stadium both larger and more impressive than I had imagined.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, Tyler Maryak said:

I so so hope you are correct about these two games! Make it so!

• Lovely Take 1

Seems like last season some were looking forward to our 2018 game against Arkansas in a down cycle.

2017-2018 season final rankings:

39. UNT 9-5, 21.89

87. Arkansas 4-8, 18.93

Granted, Arkansas had tougher SEC schedule, but that 3 point RPI difference is a near offset to home advantage in most cases. Fayetteville will be a little tougher, but I am not assuming a UNT loss in that game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, southsideguy said:

if we beat Ark we will be looking for new HC at the end of the season.

Who goes after SL? Outside of Tech and potentially LSU all the big jobs are filled within the Region (SEC and Big 12) within the past year or 2.. 

He has improved UNT but it still has glaring holes.. Defense has been terrible and no one has been held accountable for it. Recruiting has improved but it a still no where near what any P5 would accept. Also, SL is 0-3 in bowl games/championship games with 2 blows out and 0-5 if you include the P5 losses that we seemed in it for most of the game but the final results show different. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Chad Morris got an sec job. Littrell will have options. People are looking at him now.

liberty is the next BYU. That is going to. E a difficult game.  Odu there will be tough.  I think we split those.  I think we beat uab in bham. I think Fine gets revenge in San Antonio. Utep should be a win but something about that desert and sun bowl.  I think we play arky state tough and win.  I think we hammer smu and incarnate word. La tech will be tough southern miss will be close.  I think we lose a close one to fau. 

Big  wins smu and ark.

Upset losses odu and utep.

back to boca another loss win the bowl game.

GMG

• Downvote 2

20 hours ago, NM Green said:

Chad Morris got an sec job. Littrell will have options. People are looking at him now.

liberty is the next BYU. That is going to. E a difficult game.  Odu there will be tough.  I think we split those.  I think we beat uab in bham. I think Fine gets revenge in San Antonio. Utep should be a win but something about that desert and sun bowl.  I think we play arky state tough and win.  I think we hammer smu and incarnate word. La tech will be tough southern miss will be close.  I think we lose a close one to fau. 

Big  wins smu and ark.

GMG

Arky state? 

21 hours ago, NM Green said:

Big  wins smu and ark.

GMG

Lol.   That will be quite an upset.   Like, rioting in Denton upset... especially if we win against SMU and AR.

Basically, if NT beats AR, ANY further loss outside of FAU will be an "upset loss".

• Lovely Take 1

On 4/13/2018 at 4:54 PM, KRAM1 said:

Correct! People that overlook Liberty because, for whatever reason, they do not like the University itself, are in for a rude awakening.  The Liberty program, while newish, is a legit D1 program with nice facilities and donors willing to step up and make them even better. 

I fully expect UNT to win, but would not fall done in complete shock if UNT lost at Liberty's place this season. I am thinking of going to this game just to see what this Liberty U thing is all about.  I have driven by the campus and saw the stadium...both campus and stadium both larger and more impressive than I had imagined.

I think we overlook Liberty because they were FCS in 2017. The title of FBS won't magically make them better than what they are now, which is a marginally ok FCS team.

Edited by Aldo

On 4/15/2018 at 10:56 AM, NM Green said:

If we make a second year in a row showing at the CUSA championship, can the Alumni Association or some quasi-University affiliated body please put together an official tailgate?  It was sad being a fan in Boca for the championship game.  I think the closest thing to a UNT tailgate I saw was 3 green shirts sitting in the back of a rental car company SUV drinking a gas station 12 pack. 

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

National TV: +1

Thursday Night: -1

That can't help attendance either...

If the team is playing well, it could make it a great game with a true home field advantage.  The promotions that were run for the CBI show a willingness to do what it takes to get the students involved. It’s going to be good. 

• Lovely Take 1

7 hours ago, Felozano said:

If the team is playing well, it could make it a great game with a true home field advantage.  The promotions that were run for the CBI show a willingness to do what it takes to get the students involved. It’s going to be good. 

I agree...  The sooner we can get ahead of something like this, the better.  Its not our Super Bowl game, but we need to have it on student's radar as soon as fall classes start.  

Of course, if the team has a great season up to that point, attendance may not be an issue. 

• Upvote 1