DRC: Follow-up thoughts on UNT's depth chart

Brett Vito

Nice article, but I disagree with:

The only way Shanbour plays is if Mason Fine has gotten hurt, at which point UNT would be in big trouble.

We would obviously see a drop in production, but I don't think we would be in "big" trouble.  We have more depth and ability at QB than I can ever remember.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Nice article, but I disagree with:

We would obviously see a drop in production, but I don't think we would be in "big" trouble.  We have more depth and ability at QB than I can ever remember.

I agree with Vito.   If Fine goes down for an extended period (4+ games), we're in "big" trouble.

I'm not sure what exactly big trouble is, but there would for sure be a dip in production. I think the offense would obviously need to be tweaked a bit to alleviate the QB role of being so large.  

A good way to prevent this from happening....Quit doing freaking QB powers with a 180lb QB. I don't know, just food for thought. 

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I'm not sure what exactly big trouble is, but there would for sure be a dip in production. I think the offense would obviously need to be tweaked a bit to alleviate the QB role of being so large.  

A good way to prevent this from happening....Quit doing freaking QB powers with a 180lb QB. I don't know, just food for thought. 

Don't think that is in the play book.

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Don't think that is in the play book.

16 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

It indeed is. And ran with relative frequency. 

Yeah they did it a bunch against UTSA, and sprinkled throughout the season. A particularly effective formation was them motioning Smith from out wide to almost on the tackle, snapping, have him crack the D-End and pull the tackle. It's a good wrinkle to have, but Fine has to continue to learn to slide/get out of bounds when possible

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Literally just showed y’all what power is lol 

To be fair, you provided an example of a traditional power play out of the I formation with a fullback and the QB lined up under center.  The QB Power ran out of the spread with the QB lined up in shotgun with a single wing back looks quite a bit different.

12 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

To be fair, you provided an example of a traditional power play out of the I formation with a fullback and the QB lined up under center.  The QB Power ran out of the spread with the QB lined up in shotgun with a single wing back looks quite a bit different.

Lol wrong. Power is what the line does. See above post. 

58 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Lol wrong. Power is what the line does. See above post. 

Ah, gotcha.  Didn't catch that you were focused on the comment regarding a pulling tackle vs guard.  Agreed power involves a pulling guard.  I was really focused on the part about not getting our undersized QB killed running QB Power.

I think (maybe?) this is the play that @MGNation92 was referencing, and yes it is a guard that is typically pulled and the TE has the option of who to block. 

Tebow_QB_counter.gif

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Ah, gotcha.  Didn't catch that you were focused on the comment regarding a pulling tackle vs guard.  Agreed power involves a pulling guard.  I was really focused on the part about not getting our undersized QB killed running QB Power.

I think (maybe?) this is the play that @MGNation92 was referencing, and yes it is a guard that is typically pulled and the TE has the option of who to block. 

Tebow_QB_counter.gif

Yes...This may not be your granddaddy's power play, but it has the basic principles applied. Florida is here running the play with a 6'3" 245lb fullback playing quarterback. We do it with a 180lb slot playing quarterback. We need far less of this unless the defense just presents itself for an untouched run of this caliber. Otherwise, go full air raid and run your backs with the ball.  I'm not against running the QB if the game flow presents itself...Just not like this. It's senseless. 

Yeah, that is not the play I am referring to. I'm actually not afraid of those kind of plays. It gives Fine sliding/avoid contact options. I am talking more so about the shotgun hesitation/draw look Fine presents while the H-back flows over and backside tackle pull. Fine will hesitate and wait for the H-back/TE to kickout and the tackle will lead into the hole. I guess a counter trey of sorts. Fine's option then presents itself to be only tackled by players significantly larger. 

On 4/10/2018 at 1:07 PM, MGNation92 said:

FYI This is the Play I was referencing:

If you are able to, slow it down or pause as play develops, we have a hat for a hat and you can't ask for more than that from an OC standpoint.  We saw something we liked about QB run game around the goal line that game bc we did it several times. 

• Upvote 1