Regal Eagle is For Sale - $350k

6 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

What did they use it for?  I've never seen that thing. 

The first several years they used it as a promotional and also held raffle fundraisers for a chance to win a trip to an away game in it with you and several friends during the late Dickey era..  I believe it was donated by someone for the school to use, but don't quote me on that.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

39 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I wonder why the school stopped using it as a promotion?  Seems the AD or any department could use the heck out of it?

Rick

It’s old now, requires constant maintenance and is a huge resource drain. They’ve been discussing moving the Regal Eagle out for several years now. Maybe they’re in the market for something newer?

• Upvote 3

To answer Fly's question...

They do know about it, my understanding is that it was donated to the school but it ended up costing a good amount for repairs etc. so they were looking into options to sell or retire it with out offending the donor's family. That family has given generously to the university and endowed a chair etc.

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

They used to use that to take the coaches to caravan stops. I remember seeing it multiple times. Not sure if that was just before Baker or if they used it last year. The problem with things like this is you never use them as much as you think you might and they always end up costing more to maintain than they seem like they should.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

The first several years they used it as a promotional and also held raffle fundraisers for a chance to win a trip to an away game in it with you and several friends during the late Dickey era..  I believe it was donated by someone for the school to use, but don't quote me on that.

Rick

officially quoted.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, xyresic said:

They do know about it, my understanding is that it was donated to the school but it ended up costing a good amount for repairs etc. so they were looking into options to sell or retire it with out offending the donor's family. That family has given generously to the university and endowed a chair etc.

^. Correct. This is the more fleshed out version of my previous post.

On 4/4/2018 at 10:17 AM, xyresic said:

It says it has low mileage.  So I'm very intrigued as to what in the world could be sooooo wrong with it that it's maintenance was too expensive?

If used the right way by people unafraid of hard work and use of their imaginations....(see the new, current athletic department now)..It could be extremely beneficial imo.

It's just a guess...but I'll bet it's less expensive per hour to maintain than it's costing us to keep those wind generators running?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 5

43 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

It's just a guess...but I'll bet it's less expensive per hour to maintain than it's costing us to keep those wind generators running?

Rick

Curious...what is the cost to keep those wind generators running?

53 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Curious...what is the cost to keep those wind generators running?

I'm not in the industry so I'm only guessing but here is what I do know.

I know a guy whose kids go to school with mine who seems to be doing very well doing nothing but operating drone inspections on the things...several hours of driving out west from our home town.  

Plus the countless abandoned wind farms and dismantled generators available for sale all over out west..

Plus, one of our own alumns living in Argyle has a smaller one...(30 Kilowatt).. in his backyard he acquired from a defunct wind farm in California.  He's spent thousands obtaining, retrofitting, fixing, installing, getting certified and maintenancing the thing and it's not currently working and he can no longer afford to get it repaired.  

Maintenance on them are a constant expense...and you can't just pull it into the garage to repair them.  

They have transmissions in them similar to what is in a car, they have clutches, brake systems and speed controls, computer systems that constantly gauge the wind speed on the on board anemometers and blade compensators that assure the blades counter and dig into the wind to obtain maximum output.

I'd rather work on a bus myself.  But that's just me.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

These things are not cheap. 

If you do not drive it yourself you should budget about $86.46/hr.

If you are the driver you should budget about $71.46/hr for operation.

Here is the math for those who love to argue the minutia:

Sample data in calculation
13 trips performed
78 total hours of service 
1,450 miles of travel

Associated hard costs
Cost to “make ready” 13 washes/prep— $10/hour x 13 hours = $130
Driver wages (including pre/post trip) — $15/hour x 104 hours = $1,560
Fuel — 263 Gallons @ $2.60 = $683.80
Insurance (monthly premium) = $342

Associated soft costs
Oil change ($150 per 6,000 miles) — .025 per mile x 1,450 = $36.25
Tire replacement — ($450 per 100,000 miles).0045 per mile x 1,450 = $39.18**  
Major tune-up — ($600 per 75,000 miles) .008 per mile x 1450 = $11.60

TOTAL BREAK-EVEN POINT = $7,060.43
Excludes employer payroll tax or workers’ comp premium
**Based on six tires

Hourly break-even point: 
    $6,744.18 / by 78 hours of service = rate of $86.46 per hour OR
    $6,744.18 / 1,450 miles = $4.65 per mile

Fuel
Bus fuel capacity: 250 gallons
Average MPG: 4 to 9 mpg
Average fill-up cost: $950
Commercial truck stop required for large buses 

Maintenance 
Tire replacement: $400 — $600 each 
Lube, oil and filter service: $150 — $250
Turbo replacement (diesel): $1,500 — $2,000

Insurance 
Minimum: $5 million liability required
Monthly cost: $280 — $500

Labor
National average hourly pay
School bus drivers: $10.19 — $18.32
Transit bus drivers: $9.57 — $23.09
Greyhound Bus Lines: $15 — $20.67
Source: Payscale.com

Edited by ipd054
Corrected for diesel price as of today
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

According to the federal Energy Information Administration, the "levelized cost" of new wind power (including capital and operating costs) is 8.2 cents per kWh. Advanced clean-coal plants cost about 11 cents per kWh, the same as nuclear. But advanced natural gas-burning plants come in at just 6.3 cents per kWh.

I think I am buying from NRG at 7.8 cents per kWh right now.

Again for the minutia hounds:

The levelized cost of electricity (LCOE) is given by:

{\displaystyle \mathrm {LCOE} ={\frac {\text{sum of costs over lifetime}}{\text{sum of electrical energy produced over lifetime}}}={\frac {\sum _{t=1}^{n}{\frac {I_{t}+M_{t}+F_{t}}{\left({1+r}\right)^{t}}}}{\sum _{t=1}^{n}{\frac {E_{t}}{\left({1+r}\right)^{t}}}}}}\mathrm{LCOE} = \frac{\text{sum of costs over lifetime}}{\text{sum of electrical energy produced over lifetime}} = \frac{\sum_{t=1}^{n} \frac{ I_t + M_t + F_t}{\left({1+r}\right)^t} }{\sum_{t=1}^{n} \frac{E_t}{\left({1+r}\right)^{t}} }
It : investment expenditures in the year t
Mt : operations and maintenance expenditures in the year t
Ft : fuel expenditures in the year t
Et : electrical energy generated in the year t
r : discount rate
n : expected lifetime of system or power station
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Pretty sweet breakdown, but are they using racing fuel in the thing? 

Sorry the source was from 2015...   Gas would be $683.80 at $2.60 a gallon.   

So with fuel cost today it would lower the hourly cost by $3.21.  So $86.46/hr or $71.46/hr respectively.

Thanks for keeping me honest.  I corrected the math above

Edited by ipd054
  • Thanks 2

Agree it seems pretty pricey for something that’s in need of alot of repair. Don’t get me wrong, I know motor coaches get way up there in price.  But this thing doesn’t have a sleeper area does it ? Kitchen?  Pop outs?  It’s really just a very nice customized bus with some club chairs.  If they wanna flip something, the UNT should strip the decals, repaint it, get it tuned up/repaired.

Edited by trud1966