So let's recap here

oldguystudent

My last points on this because like others have said it's time to enjoy the present. 

We never say Dodge wasn't a bad hire because he didn't lose EVERY game. RV had a few in the win column...yeah i would hope so after fifteen years and over a two (three?) million dollars in salary. 

And if you never ever believed anything myself or anyone else has to say about RV, I'd ask you to read the audit after he was let go. If that's doing a good job, I pray we never truly have a bad AD. 

GMG! Never too early to say let's kick some SMOOOO ass!

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, meanrob said:

My last points on this because like others have said it's time to enjoy the present. 

We never say Dodge wasn't a bad hire because he didn't lose EVERY game. RV had a few in the win column...yeah i would hope so after fifteen years and over a two (three?) million dollars in salary. 

And if you never ever believed anything myself or anyone else has to say about RV, I'd ask you to read the audit after he was let go. If that's doing a good job, I pray we never truly have a bad AD. 

GMG! Never too early to say let's kick some SMOOOO ass!

The audit of the current state of the Athletic Department when he was let go.  Not a summary of his entire tenure.
Just about everyone, including folks from the fabled "17", agreed it was time for him to go.  That cannot be argued.

However, IMO, I hope the Athletics Center is named after him because everything that came up over there was because of him.  It's not perfect, but it's the reason why we're not still stuck in the SBC.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The audit of the current state of the Athletic Department when he was let go.  Not a summary of his entire tenure.
Just about everyone, including folks from the fabled "17", agreed it was time for him to go.  That cannot be argued.

However, IMO, I hope the Athletics Center is named after him because everything that came up over there was because of him.  It's not perfect, but it's the reason why we're not still stuck in the SBC.

No it's not.  

Rick

6 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

No it's not.  

Rick

Well,
I mean, I played golf on the old golf course when he was the AD.   So, yeah... it all came up on his watch (outside of the T&F facility coming up now... but that was already in the master plan before he was gone).  And being the Athletics Director, he would be the dude that was responsible for it all.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well,
I mean, I played golf on the old golf course when he was the AD.   So, yeah... it all came up on his watch (outside of the T&F facility coming up now... but that was already in the master plan before he was gone).  And being the Athletics Director, he would be the dude that was responsible for it all.

Maybe you've slept since, and might want to go back and refresh your memory from two years ago, and re-read the athletics report audit again?

https://m.imgur.com/a/ZhiRP

Or,

https://issuu.com/lmcbride/docs/unt_report?ff=true&e=1568302/39184128

And here's a 10 page thread on fan responses when the report came out.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Maybe you've slept since, and might want to go back and refresh your memory from two years ago, and re-read the athletics report audit?

https://m.imgur.com/a/ZhiRP

And here's a 10 page thread on fan responses when the report came out.

Rick

Yes, I recall the report, and I just glanced back over it.   That was a current state assessment back in 2015/2016... which was not good.   Everyone knew that.  I'm not arguing that.  The Athletics Department was stale and old-fashioned in 2015/16.  It was time for a change.  Heck, it was past time for a change.  We're on the same page there.

I'm trying to say all of the buildings that came up on the old golf course in the late 2000's/early 2010's were overseen by RV. 
He was the Athletics Director.  All of those buildings are Athletics Department buildings. 
He deserves credit for all of it.
The weightroom is too small.  The locker rooms are outdated.  The Jumbotron is blocking the view of Apogee from the AC, the tennis center isn't done, etc... There are warts to what we now have, sure, but what we have is light years better than just about all of our conference mates, and is no-doubt the reason why we're in C-USA, and in a position to move up if we can get the on-field production to match, while continuously improving on the foundation RV laid.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

59 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes, I recall the report, and I just glanced back over it.   That was a current state assessment back in 2015/2016... which was not good.   Everyone knew that.  I'm not arguing that.  The Athletics Department was stale and old-fashioned in 2015/16.  It was time for a change.  Heck, it was past time for a change.  We're on the same page there.

I'm trying to say all of the buildings that came up on the old golf course in the late 2000's/early 2010's were overseen by RV. 
He was the Athletics Director.  All of those buildings are Athletics Department buildings. 
He deserves credit for all of it.
The weightroom is too small.  The locker rooms are outdated.  The Jumbotron is blocking the view of Apogee from the AC, the tennis center isn't done, etc... There are warts to what we now have, sure, but what we have is light years better than just about all of our conference mates, and is no-doubt the reason why we're in C-USA, and in a position to move up if we can get the on-field production to match, while continuously improving on the foundation RV laid.

He wasn't solely responsible for that side of the freeway getting developed. And what your missing sight of is...at any other place he would not have overseen those....if any structure going up because other places have accountability standards and would have fired him after the BOR had to finance the construction of the AC center due to his inability to raise the money, which was why he was hired in the first place.

He did some good things sure.  But to suggest it was to the point we name the place for him....and at the same time threaten to piss off those who are finally starting to return...is insane talk.

No Thanks!

IMG_5411.PNG.70aaaefa4660f7f02083a07f7e526004.PNG

IMG_5413.PNG.319917d2ef9cc0d2a8ca65b845069676.PNG

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

However, IMO, I hope the Athletics Center is named after him because everything that came up over there was because of him.  It's not perfect, but it's the reason why we're not still stuck in the SBC.

I have said for many years that we all should be prepared for the Rick Villareal Athletic Center to become a thing...it will fit just perfectly with the Darrell Dickey Practice Fields.

Perhaps we can get the Tina Slinker Court very soon...I mean, she coached here for 19 years and only finished 46 games under .500...

We really need to continue to embrace #newdenton...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I have said for many years that we all should be prepared for the Rick Villareal Athletic Center to become a thing...it will fit just perfectly with the Darrell Dickey Practice Fields.

Perhaps we can get the Tina Slinker Court very soon...I mean, she coached here for 19 years and only finished 46 games under .500...

We really need to continue to embrace #newdenton...

Coach Dickey won 4 conference championships at NT.   I have no problem naming those fields (soon to be built-over) after him.
Tina Slinker did nothing but coach.  The best thing she ever did was recruit Jalie Mitchell to play here.  She's not responsible for anything else.
And yes, embrace #newdenton.  On to bigger & better!   But no need to crap on a dude just to crap on him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Coach Dickey won 4 conference championships at NT.   I have no problem naming those fields (soon to be built-over) after him.
Tina Slinker did nothing but coach.  The best thing she ever did was recruit Jalie Mitchell to play here.  She's not responsible for anything else.
And yes, embrace #newdenton.  On to bigger & better!   But no need to crap on a dude just to crap on him.

I don't think you fully understand RV's history.  But anyhow...if your gonna suggest  crappy ideas then expect them to get crapped on.  

Rick

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And yes, embrace #newdenton.  On to bigger & better!   But no need to crap on a dude just to crap on him.

He had 3 winning seasons here, finished 42-64, and left us in a terrible position that our next hire made colossally worse.

Those fields are named after DD because Mattress Mac made us name it after him. And we were so broke, we had to honor it. So it is what it is. I just think its beyond sad that Hayden Fry has nothing named after him in his honor in Denton for going 40-23-2 here in 6 seasons. 

But I have said for years that the Rick Villareal Athletic Center will happen...there's not a doubt in my mind that it will be the final payback from the UNT 17 for granting them access over all those years. RV knew what he was doing by insulating himself within that group. They basically bought him at least 5 more years on the job. 

On his record, RV hired Todd Dodge, Shanice Stephens, and Tony Benford--the three worst coaches in their sports in UNT History. And he managed to get less than 1% of the UNT Alums to join the MGC in his time as the AD. But, again, I reiterate that I fully expect him to be get the honor above...not one doubt in my mind, actually.

• Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Image result for THROW HEAD BACK LAUGHING GIF

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 3

I thought the original topic was a post about how great of a last 12 months it's been around here lately?  So, um, how did this turn into a bitch & moan fest?  "RV sux!" -- "no he didn't" /  look at the report -- we really did suck!" thread.  Man, I really think people like to complain more than celebrate.  Sorry for the lean times.  :)  Next up on the topic wheel:  let's discuss Vic Trilli's tenure.  We'll be right back after this message from Debbie Downer.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1