Is tonight's game the biggest ever ?

greenjoe

Five years of total crap...then this season. Win tonight and Friday! We would then finish with a 20-win season and a (albeit minor) tournament championship. I would say those would be big accomplishments, ranking up there among this program's best moments.

It can't happen without a win tonight...so yeah this game is pretty big.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

Best UNT years were absolutely the Bill Blakely ones about 1976-77 or so .. Won 22+ games those years (3 straight I think) but not in NCAA because it was only 24 or 32 teams then and we were independent with no conference championship to force us in.. The best NT game I saw was in 1965? when we defeated Cincinnati in the old Snake pit who had been national Champions a couple of years earlier (twice) before UCLA began its insane run of about 9 championships in 10-11 years. We were absolutely in the best Basketball conference in America... the Missouri Valley.  UCLA was the best team but the MVC was the best conference.. in fact my senior year at Christmas 5 of the top 10 were MVC members. [ Louisville, Wichita, Cincinnati, and I think Bradley and Drake ]   Texas Western aka UTEP won it all that year.

.Why was the MVC so good ..??.. The ACC, SWC, SEC, and few others were all white and the MVC was integrated and pulling in a lot of talent and just outside of the South. . The best player I saw was Wes  Unseld,  later NBA Hall of Fame player  and from Louisville. UTEP and UCLA were pulling in a lot of talent elsewhere then as well.   .After I graduated Houston with Elvin Hayes was killing everyone except UCLA.. and the SWC was still not integrated or very little.  Houston was then also an independent  before joining SWC as team #9 ... We would like have been team #10 if  SMU had not opposed us so strongly... 

Because of the gym size you had to go early if you wanted to see a game... all weekday games were full.. Weekends not so much. 

GO Mean Green...!!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 4

8 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Best UNT years were absolutely the Bill Blakely ones about 1976-77 or so .. Won 22+ games those years (3 straight I think) but not in NCAA because it was only 24 or 32 teams then and we were independent with no conference championship to force us in.. The best NT game I saw was in 1965? when we defeated Cincinnati in the old Snake pit who had been national Champions a couple of years earlier (twice) before UCLA began its insane run of about 9 championships in 10-11 years. We were absolutely in the best Basketball conference in America... the Missouri Valley.  UCLA was the best team but the MVC was the best conference.. in fact my senior year at Christmas 5 of the top 10 were MVC members. [ Louisville, Wichita, Cincinnati, and I think Bradley and Drake ]   Texas Western aka UTEP won it all that year.

.Why was the MVC so good ..??.. The ACC, SWC, SEC, and few others were all white and the MVC was integrated and pulling in a lot of talent and just outside of the South. . The best player I saw was Wes  Unseld,  later NBA Hall of Fame player  and from Louisville. UTEP and UCLA were pulling in a lot of talent elsewhere then as well.   .After I graduated Houston with Elvin Hayes was killing everyone except UCLA.. and the SWC was still not integrated or very little.  Houston was then also an independent  before joining SWC as team #9 ... We would like have been team #10 if  SMU had not opposed us so strongly... 

Because of the gym size you had to go early if you wanted to see a game... all weekday games were full.. Weekends not so much. 

GO Mean Green...!!

I can't say for certain, but I believe the original post and title of this thread were tongue in cheek.  Usually every conference tourney (and the two times we made the NCAAs) going back the last dozen seasons or so...all of those games are called the biggest in the history of western civilization.  It's become a yearly tradition once March basketball begins.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

I am with most of you... winning your conference is the goal. HOWEVER, winning this POSTSEASON tourney, will be a huge win for our program.  One of the biggest wins.  Lets not enjoy this and not poo poo on the fun.

The rest of the conference is sitting at home... we are still dancing and it is so much fun!

GMG!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MrStrange18 said:

I am with most of you... winning your conference is the goal. HOWEVER, winning this POSTSEASON tourney, will be a huge win for our program.  One of the biggest wins.  Lets not enjoy this and not poo poo on the fun.

The rest of the conference is sitting at home... we are still dancing and it is so much fun!

GMG!

Western Kentucky did well in NIT and was eliminated in the semi-finals on Tuesday by Utah ... 69-64 and had defeated and  eliminated Oklahoma State which was a very good Big-12 team, also Boston College and Southern Cal earlier.  Middle Tennessee won one game in the NIT then was eliminated by Louisville.   ......   Marshall in the NCAA defeated Wichita State then lost to West Virginia of the Big-12.

. CUSA has had a pretty good year in the post-season.. with none of the four teams losing in the first round and had success. 

Chicago Loyola won the CBI about 3 years ago and they are now in the  NCAA final four..

Go Mean Green...!!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

Any previous tournament win was either a conference win or a regional or 4 team tourney.  Again, while not the NCAA or NIT, this is the national tournament we were invited to.  We should win tonight to clinch and make a bigger higher exposure tournament next season.  Hopefully we add another banner to the rafters tonight.

BEAT SAN FRANCISCO

GO MEAN GREEN

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, untcampbell said:

I missed the seeding but I would guess we weren't exactly tournament favorites. Did they seed the CBI field? 

Let's have fun tonight.

GMG

We had one of the lowest, if not the lowest, chances to win it all.

EDIT: My memory was off. We were middle of the pack in odds to win it all:

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2018 at 6:04 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

GO Mean Green...!!

Just in case some of the younger fans don't know the history of the term "super pit". 

http://www.meangreenmap.com/snakepit.html

• Thanks 2