UKEagle79

Hello mates, Mean Green fan and graduate of '79 reaching out to you from across the pond. 

Does any one think that UNT to the Big 12 is even a remote possibility within the next decade? Granted, the conference might not exist by then but I've heard that a potential membership would require our athletic department to net over $25 million annually to even be considered.

Surely with the development efforts we've seen in the last two years (both on the court/field/etc. and in the business side), it is not THAT crazy to believe we can be competing in a power five conference. 

Why not UNT and UH?

Adding two state schools with more than 38,000 students and a demonstrable upward trajectory in multiple sports seems like a win-win in a few years. Not to mention, adding UH to the Big 12 could possibly hurt TAMUS recruiting which I am sure more than a few current Big 12 member schools would like.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

Welcome to the board!  As to your question, it seems sensible, but it's highly unlikely.

• They're not going to add schools just to add schools.
  • It seems non-Texas B12 schools don't want any more Texas schools.
  • We don't have a history of conference affiliation with the B12 institutions.  TCU did, which contributed to their making the jump.  UH and SMU do, so they are likely ahead of us in line.
  • Whatever upward trajectory we might be observing, it is still well below what other teams accomplished prior to making the jump to P5 (e.g., Utah, TCU).  We need to be talking prolonged national rankings just for starters.  Look at what UCF did last year, and I still don't know of any P5 conferences interested in adding them.
  • Right now, we are a long shot to make the AAC.  And that's where the B12 is going to go scrounging for new members, or possibly the MWC.  No team is going to go straight from the current incarnation of C-USA to a P5 conference.

Hope to see more of your posts!

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UKEagle79 said:

Hello mates, Mean Green fan and graduate of '79 reaching out to you from across the pond. 

Does any one think that UNT to the Big 12 is even a remote possibility within the next decade? Granted, the conference might not exist by then but I've heard that a potential membership would require our athletic department to net over $25 million annually to even be considered.

Surely with the development efforts we've seen in the last two years (both on the court/field/etc. and in the business side), it is not THAT crazy to believe we can be competing in a power five conference. 

Why not UNT and UH?

Adding two state schools with more than 38,000 students and a demonstrable upward trajectory in multiple sports seems like a win-win in a few years. Not to mention, adding UH to the Big 12 could possibly hurt TAMUS recruiting which I am sure more than a few current Big 12 member schools would like.

@Mean Green 93-98 covered your questions well but I just wanted to say welcome.  Nice to have a Mean Green fan join us from across the pond! 

Forming a conference with the best regional teams, including B12 left overs when it implodes, is probably a reach goal for us right now.  

If people are wondering why the AD seems to be trying to raise money from every single source he can, including the "normal" ticket holders, it's because right now our budget wouldn't get us included in those talks.  

If we want to get to that "top G5 (6?)" program level, then we need to start spending like it.  

24 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Forming a conference with the best regional teams, including B12 left overs when it implodes, is probably a reach goal for us right now.  

If people are wondering why the AD seems to be trying to raise money from every single source he can, including the "normal" ticket holders, it's because right now our budget wouldn't get us included in those talks.  

If we want to get to that "top G5 (6?)" program level, then we need to start spending like it.  

I agree whole-heartedly.  I think campus, student body, and soon Facilities allow you to be "in the conversation" but our $$ and spending power keep us pretty far out of contention right now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

UT/Tech & OU/OKSt all go either Pac or somewhere else, WVU begs hard enough to get back in the ACC & Kansas joins B1G for B-ball.
That leaves Baylor, TCU, IASt & KSSt holding a bag.   Backfill with SMU, Houston, Memphis for sure.   Then you have 3 more spots to divvy-up between: Cincinnati? Navy? Air Force? New Mexico? Tulane? Tulsa? North Texas? UTSA? Rice? UTEP? LATech? Northern Illinois?
Personally, I think it would be awesome if we could get in there with LATech & Northern Illinois.   Name it something like "Central 12".

And if that ideal scenario falls through, I would think we'd be a shoo-in to take SMU's spot in the AAC.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Salsa_Verde said:

I hate to say it....but not having a baseball team really hurts North Texas’ chances as well. 

Only sports that make any serious money are CFB and MBB.  The remnants are going to be suffering from such budget shock when the B12 money stops flowing that I doubt they think of anything except adding whoever brings in the most $.   So success in CFB and MBB will be the most important. 

• 6 months later...
47 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

The AAC will never be in reach as long as SMU is a member. They would never, ever submit to being in a conference with us.

While I agree with you on the above, not to mention that right now, TV doesn't want to duplicate markets, so us ever being in a conference with SMU or TCU seems impossible, what in the world made you decide to search for this topic?

We have the best team we have rolled out probably since the Fry years and this is what you look for to post about? 

6 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

The AAC will never be in reach as long as SMU is a member. They would never, ever submit to being in a conference with us.

Didn't know SMU controlled the membership of AAC.  I would guess UH would also be against the Green, as well as the rest of the private schools.  

it is a better conference, but not that much better than CUSA.  That difference could be erased quickly if the bottom of CUSA was not awful.  

• Upvote 1