Baylor Being Baylor

UNTLifer

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

With the popularity that Chip and Joanna Gaines are enjoying, Waco May just choose to shutter Baylor anyway.

Actually it's Chip and Joanna who are shuttering Fixer Upper.  Waco is going to need Baylor again but not with their bad press.  

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

When Baylor gets left behind, it will be well-deserved. They probably were always going to be left behind, but the image of their institution valuing wins over values, while being a Baptist school, is just sickening. 

As a reminder, this is a place that has allowed:

A coverup of a murdered basketball player by another basketball player, attempting to make dead player a drug dealer, all to coverup players being paid by the coach...

Their best basketball player, LaceDarius Dunn, punch his girlfriend in the face and breaking her jaw, only to suspend him for a few OOC games against absolute spares...

Criminals being brought in all to win games because they were so bad for so long...

Having local media/authorities bury ANY leads about the rapes/violence occurring on campus...to the point that Texas Monthly uncovered everything (point not lost that this publication is a UT rag and Baylor was at the top of the conference when this occurred)

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

I have family members who went to Baylor. With the latest being a niece who graduated in 2015 and took my kids to games in Waco.

My Daughter, who is a High School Junior and wants to be an Athletic Trainer in college on her way to becoming a sports medicine doctor. Has wanted to go to Baylor since 2011 with UNT as her second choice.  Last week as she was working on gathering admissions info so she could apply and I asked her about the Baylor Sports Medicine program, she looked at me, shrugged and said "dad, I am not sure that I want to be associated with Baylor at this point".  Now her top choices are UNT, UT, and A&M.

My son who is a Senior this year, and had Baylor in his top five 2 years ago has said that he would never go to Baylor.  Both have stated that most of their friends do not even have Baylor on their list of schools to apply.

For people who say athletics is not a window in to the university the academics are, in my house Baylor has gone from top choice to not even apply in the last 4 years due to the behavior of the athletics department.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ipd054 said:

I have family members who went to Baylor. With the latest being a niece who graduated in 2015 and took my kids to games in Waco.

My Daughter, who is a High School Junior and wants to be an Athletic Trainer in college on her way to becoming a sports medicine doctor. Has wanted to go to Baylor since 2011 with UNT as her second choice.  Last week as she was working on gathering admissions info so she could apply and I asked her about the Baylor Sports Medicine program, she looked at me, shrugged and said "dad, I am not sure that I want to be associated with Baylor at this point".  Now her top choices are UNT, UT, and A&M.

My son who is a Senior this year, and had Baylor in his top five 2 years ago has said that he would never go to Baylor.  Both have stated that most of their friends do not even have Baylor on their list of schools to apply.

For people who say athletics is not a window in to the university the academics are, in my house Baylor has gone from top choice to not even apply in the last 4 years due to the behavior of the athletics department.

Yeah, there is just no way that you can look at the Baylor athletic department and sanely say that it would be fine to let your daughter work anywhere near that. Hell, I wouldn't let my daughter get within that county to go to college there. Its just too much of a risk. This will take years to clean up--and they haven't shown the ability to really do that in Waco. From the Bliss Basketball Fiasco to the Briles Football Crisis, if you cannot learn lessons in 15 years worth of time how an athletic department should be run, then I have my doubts if that place will get fixed anytime soon.

• Upvote 2

It is a place for people who either are ready to buy into wide-eyed groupspeak nonsense or are willing to proclaim it despite knowing it’s nonsense. And I’m not talking about the actual spiritual stuff. All that sadness we read about Liberty and shutting down the naysayers; Liberty didn’t invent that.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm not excusing anything that happened in Waco, but can we *please* stop pretending Baylor is the only school on God's green earth that has let this type of culture exist? I'm only frustrated because, speaking as a current student at UNT, I see sexually inappropriate behavior WAY more than I'd like to and it's very clearly prevalent in the athletic departments at almost every relevant university.

I'm not bringing this up to void Baylor, because they don't deserve that, but I'm tired of reading nonsense about people blasting Rhule for trying to be a shining light in a hellhole that Briles left Waco in. Come on.

Edited by largekfcbucket
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

On 3/26/2018 at 1:15 PM, largekfcbucket said:

I'm not excusing anything that happened in Waco, but can we *please* stop pretending Baylor is the only school on God's green earth that has let this type of culture exist? I'm only frustrated because, speaking as a current student at UNT, I see sexually inappropriate behavior WAY more than I'd like to and it's very clearly prevalent in the athletic departments at almost every relevant university.

I'm not bringing this up to void Baylor, because they don't deserve that, but I'm tired of reading nonsense about people blasting Rhule for trying to be a shining light in a hellhole that Briles left Waco in. Come on.

F Baylor

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2018 at 7:51 PM, TIgreen01 said:

Rhule is in a no win situation.  And many of the responses here prove it.

Right.  He's not saying "This is not a Baylor problem".  He is saying "This isn't a Baylor thing," Rhule said. "This is an 'our world' thing.".  Meaning........it's a problem everywhere not just at Baylor.and I'm sure he's right.  He's been at other schools and I'm sure it happens at those places...Of of which the public never hears about.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

He's been at other schools and I'm sure it happens at those places...Of of which the public never hears about.

I am not sure of that.  

A culture that discourages reporting of sexual assault and tries to keep them out of the public eye?  That I buy.

A organization where every level of oversight, from the coaches to the administration to the university and local police were consciously trying to suppress and discredit the accusers? No.  As far as I can tell that was uniquely Baylor's problem.  

That was the deal with the devil Baylor made, and now they get to own up to their end of the agreement.   They should have just come out at the start, laid everything open to an independent investigator and empowered them and taken their licks all at once.

Instead this is going to tarnish their reputation for at least another decade.  

Here’s the sad truth, Baylor did benefit immensely from Briles and his sordid ways.  Beyond their performance in the field, in the Briles era they funded and built a new stadium, had their first Heisman trophy winner, increased donations to historic levels and won more games than at any time in their history.

We now learn Briles was paid millions even after his crimes came to light.  So who really lost here?  The victims are all accepting settlements to stay quiet going forward.  There have been a lot of empty threats from the NCAA and Big 12.  The assistants like baby Briles have been welcomed back into the coaching community as if nothing happened.  Ken Starr is on TV as the expert on impeachment proceedings and not one Network brings up his Baylor issues.  Just like the Dave Bliss deal, time will erase the memory of this dark chapter and Baylor will be just fine thank you very much.

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Just like the Dave Bliss deal, time will erase the memory of this dark chapter and Baylor will be just fine thank you very much.

It's not going to hurt them on the sports field.  That is all about money.  It is hurting them on the academic side.  Applications are down, incoming quality is down, they have had difficulty recruiting faculty.  

Which to me, is the pay the Devil his dues side of the pact.  Athletics should HELP academics, not hurt it.  

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

I am not sure of that.  

A culture that discourages reporting of sexual assault and tries to keep them out of the public eye?  That I buy.

A organization where every level of oversight, from the coaches to the administration to the university and local police were consciously trying to suppress and discredit the accusers? No.  As far as I can tell that was uniquely Baylor's problem.  

That was the deal with the devil Baylor made, and now they get to own up to their end of the agreement.   They should have just come out at the start, laid everything open to an independent investigator and empowered them and taken their licks all at once.

Instead this is going to tarnish their reputation for at least another decade.  

No....Im reading into it that Rhule isn't talking about what Baylor did.  He's saying that sexual harassment goes on at other places and it all needs to be addressed and he's for doing just that.

Rick

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

No....Im reading into it that Rhule isn't talking about what Baylor did.  He's saying that sexual harassment goes on at other places and it all needs to be addressed and he's for doing just that.

Rick

Rhule doesn't coach at "another place" that has a "sexual harassment" problem.  He coaches at Baylor that has a history of systematically discrediting and pressuring rape accusers in collaboration with local law enforcement.   That is a Baylor problem, he knew it when he signed up for the job.   

If he had said something like "this is a problem that we at Baylor are going to work harder than anyone else to solve" that would 1) acknowledge the past issues, 2) put forth the proposition that his new regime isn't the old one.  

Instead he is minimizing the previous problem, exactly what got Baylor into this situation in the first place.  

This IS a Baylor problem.  It's not a NT problem.  It's not a Texas Tech problem.  It's not a USC problem.  It's not a any other school in the nation  (except Penn State) problem.  This happened at Baylor.  Owning up to what happened is the first step in making things better.  

44 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Rhule doesn't coach at "another place" that has a "sexual harassment" problem.  He coaches at Baylor that has a history of systematically discrediting and pressuring rape accusers in collaboration with local law enforcement.   That is a Baylor problem, he knew it when he signed up for the job.   

If he had said something like "this is a problem that we at Baylor are going to work harder than anyone else to solve" that would 1) acknowledge the past issues, 2) put forth the proposition that his new regime isn't the old one.  

Instead he is minimizing the previous problem, exactly what got Baylor into this situation in the first place.  

This IS a Baylor problem.  It's not a NT problem.  It's not a Texas Tech problem.  It's not a USC problem.  It's not a any other school in the nation  (except Penn State) problem.  This happened at Baylor.  Owning up to what happened is the first step in making things better.  

Right.   We had an unfortunate incident regarding some previous basketball players and that crap was expeditiously taken care of without intent to cover up.   I have no doubt Sexual Assault happens all over, but the lengths Baylor went to in order to keep it all under wraps in order to keep the good times rolling were very much JUST BAYLOR.

NT don't play that.   I hope we never ever do.   

I'd rather play .500 football/basketball forever than have 3-4 years of glory followed by the sh**show Baylor has become now.

• Thanks 1