Disappointed at Attendance

greenjoe

1 hour ago, Shark84 said:

Greeks had meetings Monday night and my daughter got fined 25 bucks for missing her sorority meeting and supporting UNT with her old man! I emailed NS and WB about it. The Pres said he will look into it. I appreciate his immediate response. Go Mean Green!

That's nonsense. I know that's standard with all Greek organizations but I give credit to her for supporting her school, and not to score some points for her sorority.

• Thanks 2

It takes time to build a fan base...or rebuild a fan base in this case. Very few people even knew about this tournament 2-weeks ago. I know everyone is excited about the direction of the athletic department but you just can’t expect a quick turnaround. Students alone will not fill the Super-Pit or Apogee. it has to be done by the casual fan willing to spend the time and money. That simply isn’t going to happen, in my view, without sustained success over multiple seasons.

GMG

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, Shark84 said:

Greeks had meetings Monday night and my daughter got fined 25 bucks for missing her sorority meeting and supporting UNT with her old man! I emailed NS and WB about it. The Pres said he will look into it. I appreciate his immediate response. Go Mean Green!

Email them telling them to do another Greek night! They did one during the season and it had a pretty solid turn out for a double header!

I thought it looked like 2500 - 3000 on the feed.  My guess is tomorrow will be between 3000-4000.  Even in the best years of JJ we were only getting 4000 a game.   I hope that if we make the finals we could get to 5000.   I give WB credit for doing promotions to get the kids there.  Last game the MacBook, and this upcoming the wireless headphones.

I like to see a denton ISD promotion or something like that for the finals if we get there.

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

What few there were vocal.

I was at the game. Right behind Mercer’s bench. A woman from Mercer tapped me on the shoulder towards the end of the game and she said “You know what’s better than a good band and a good team? Good fans and honestly you’re a jerk and a joke!” I didn’t swear during the game, I didn’t use any racial slurs, and I didn’t use any homophobic slurs. Just some good old quality heckling such as calling a player wearing a headband “Semi-Pro”. I personally don’t mind other fans saying that, but if that woman thinks I’m a “bad fan” she should never be around any students who go to a P5 school or even a G5 with a strong student support.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I was at the game. Right behind Mercer’s bench. A woman from Mercer tapped me on the shoulder towards the end of the game and she said “You know what’s better than a good band and a good team? Good fans and honestly you’re a jerk and a joke!” I didn’t swear during the game, I didn’t use any racial slurs, and I didn’t use any homophobic slurs. Just some good old quality heckling such as calling a player wearing a headband “Semi-Pro”. I personally don’t mind other fans saying that, but if that woman thinks I’m a “bad fan” she should never be around any students who go to a P5 school or even a G5 with a strong student support.

Damn man that sucks.  Shouldve just kept yelling louder lol- brent

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

*Mercer woman goes home to her friends*

MERCER WOMAN: This jerkface joker fan ruined the whole experience for me!!!
FRIENDS: Yeah, what kind of crap were they belting? It must have been terrible!
MERCER WOMAN: "Semi-Pro"  He said "Semi-Pro!" Imagine my horror.
FRIENDS: ....

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

It takes time to build a fan base...or rebuild a fan base in this case. Very few people even knew about this tournament 2-weeks ago. I know everyone is excited about the direction of the athletic department but you just can’t expect a quick turnaround. Students alone will not fill the Super-Pit or Apogee. it has to be done by the casual fan willing to spend the time and money. That simply isn’t going to happen, in my view, without sustained success over multiple seasons.

GMG

Well said... I had never heard of the CBI before we were in it. If we can get a couple years of postseason tourneys and *cringe*... a new arena, I think we can start seeing better turnout. 

GMG!

• Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Well said... I had never heard of the CBI before we were in it. If we can get a couple years of postseason tourneys and *cringe*... a new arena, I think we can start seeing better turnout. 

GMG!

The Super Pit is not going to be a part of the attendance equation for B-ball.   I hope a new b-ball arena is at the very bottom of WB's priority list.    Sure, it looks bad when we're not playing well, but it fills up pretty well when we're playing good b-ball... imagine what it would look like if we're playing great b-ball?

With as big as it is, it could actually turn out to be an advantage if NT were to go on a Wichita State/Butler-like (or heck, even a St. Mary's/Creighton-like) run.   It would constantly be packed, bringing in a lot of money due to the amount of seats available.     Just win.   

It's definitely old, and could use more updating, but it's not a deterrent like Fouts was for football.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The Super Pit is not going to be a part of the attendance equation for B-ball.   I hope a new b-ball arena is at the very bottom of WB's priority list.    Sure, it looks bad when we're not playing well, but it fills up pretty well when we're playing good b-ball... imagine what it would look like if we're playing great b-ball?

With as big as it is, it could actually turn out to be an advantage if NT were to go on a Wichita State/Butler-like (or heck, even a St. Mary's/Creighton-like) run.   It would constantly be packed, bringing in a lot of money due to the amount of seats available.     Just win.   

It's definitely old, and could use more updating, but it's not a deterrent like Fouts was for football.

I've been in several (newer and/or updated) college basketball arenas that I wouldn't say are significantly better than the Super Pit.  

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I hope a new b-ball arena is at the very bottom of WB's priority list.

It’s not at the bottom of the list but  also not an immediate burning issue. There are already renderings of the new basketball arena that have been completed. Was told it’s 5 yrs or so away. Would take some overall seating capacity out but add suites and premium seating. Going to be awesome when it comes to fruition. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Was that the blond haired lady? I also saw Strawberry turn around & tell someone to "shut the F up".

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

It’s not at the bottom of the list but  also not an immediate burning issue. There are already renderings of the new basketball arena that have been completed. Was told it’s 5 yrs or so away. Would take some overall seating capacity out but add suites and premium seating. Going to be awesome when it comes to fruition. 

I'd rather see several other projects completed before a new b-ball arena though.   Tennis still needs a Center court, upgrades at ALL facilities on the old Liberty campus.  Upgrades to the Athletics Center (especially the weightroom & lockerroom).   Heck, I'd rather see baseball started up before a new b-ball arena.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Heck, I'd rather see baseball started up before a new b-ball arena.

Some of the other stuff you listed I believe would be happening first.

As to baseball, I don’t believe it’s on the table in that timeframe last I heard. Honestly, I don’t think we should add the expense of another sport like baseball until our football and basketball programs are consistently conference championship material anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1