Finals - Best of 3

DeepGreen

I thought we'd mentioned that before.  It's kinda cool - very unlike anything else in college basketball. Seeing the same team again so close together like that up to three times.  

I think in the ten years of the tournament, the Finals has gone the distance all but twice.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, southsideguy said:

Three game final series?  Will the games be played at one gym or will they switch off?  I would think that games must be fairly close together because of costs associated with travel.

Switch off.  The first several years it went 1-1-1, but as you said costs made them go to a 1-2 format eventually.  Both teams get at least one home game though.

5 hours ago, risinggreen said:

Wow, had no idea that was the format. Twenty win season and a banner would be sweet. Well worth the money if we can pull it off.

Twenty win season sounds great but don't tell them that we had eighteen losses.  Still, a 20 win season after five years of Benford is quite an accomplishment.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

I would prefer we not dilute the value of our existing banners, which were obtained the old fashioned Smith Barney way. I'll pas on participation ribbons.  JMHO.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

I'm down for a banner if we win the CBI since we'd also get a sweet trophy out of it.  Short of that, I'm not into a banner for just making a postseason tournament that probably only took us because other schools declined.  This isn't the NIT or NCAA.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'm down for a banner if we win the CBI since we'd also get a sweet trophy out of it.  Short of that, I'm not into a banner for just making a postseason tournament that probably only took us because other schools declined.  This isn't the NIT or NCAA.

This.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Concur. If we win the CBI, we will have earned a banner.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I agree. I raised the point because I was actually thinking about banners last night at the game when realizing [again] how bare our rafters are.

I dont think we need a banner but the team deserves some kudos on how they have played in the CBI.  Great practice for next season which other teams are not getting with the exception of WKU.  

The games have been enjoyable to watch and there is no pressure in the CBI.  The players are relaxed and enjoying themselves.  I was thrown off by our black uniforms. i wish Drapper could get back on track with his three point shooting.  

Bring a friend to the game Wed.  I cant figure out why Denton does not support the home team.  You go to most college towns and they have a strong fan base.  We have a lot of on campus housing and they are easy walk to the Pit.  Maybe they should have a fire drill on Wed night and suggest the students wander down to the pit.  Denton loves the University jobs but gives nothing back to the university (there are a few exceptions).  We should only hire those to support the university.  

In my previous life I did background investigations for Feds and I remember a former student of Texas A&M  tell me he was a 1%. Ask  him what that was and he told me was the 1% of students that did not support A&M athletics.  I think UNT is just the opposite and our 1% is who supports the sports programs. If we could get 20% of the Denton residence to show up for our games we would sell out the pit and Apogee.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I dont think we need a banner but the team deserves some kudos on how they have played in the CBI.  Great practice for next season which other teams are not getting with the exception of WKU.  i wish Drapper could get back on track with his three point shooting.  

UTSA plays Thursday I believe. The conference is 7-2 in post season play now. 

We have the opportunity to win the NIT, CIT, and CBI and I am routing for the conference sweeping them all. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

We have the opportunity to win the NIT, CIT, and CBI and I am routing for the conference sweeping them all. 

That would be incredible to sweep the lower three tournaments. TON of work left to do though. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2018 at 9:16 AM, CMJ said:

I thought we'd mentioned that before.  It's kinda cool - very unlike anything else in college basketball. Seeing the same team again so close together like that up to three times.  

So here we are, new territory for us.

What do we do? One mega-thread for the entirety of the finals? One thread for each game?  HOW MANY TEAMS FACE THIS CRISIS?

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2018 at 8:57 PM, Andrew said:

i really think benford is trolling the board, I see down votes that make no sense.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1