Jacksonville State (3/21/18)

CMJ

13 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Holston is just a liability on the offensive end.  He will shoot in the paint, but is not a willing shooter from mid or long range.  Solid defender, but allows team to pack the paint and double our outside shooters.  Josh is also not much of a threat outside.  By adding two more shooters on the floor it has really improved spacing and forced the defense to cover.  Fortunately, we have been hitting some of the shots.

No wonder why McCasland has offered several 3/4's for next season.  In Josh's defense, he has been playing hurt.  Holston is just not an offensive threat unless he is driving and dunking.

Ryan got in foul trouble in the first half and was pulled later when they went to hack-a-ryan.  He has to improve his shooting or is at risk of losing minutes to Gibson next season.

Who are you referring to? There is no Josh on the roster.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Oh, right.  You probably know him as AJ.

For some reason he reminds me so much of Josh Howard, I wrote Josh instead of AJ.    :omg:

I'm interested to see if we see him at the 4 some this year, with all of the guard depth we have. Something like Woolridge, Duffy, Smart, Lawson, and Arikawe/Simmons/Tikhonenko.

To me, the ideal type of player Lawson could become would be like a CUSA version of former Dallas Maverick all-star and Wake Forest great Josh Howard. Here is a comparison of their freshmen stats:

Josh Howard:

9.2 points/game, 4.7 rebounds/game, 49.2% 2-point fg, 0.3/1.2 threes per game (28.6%), 58.3% free-throw percentage, 24.9 minutes/game

AJ Lawson:

11.4 points/game, 4.4 rebounds/game, 48.9% 2-point fg, 0.5/2.0 threes per game (27.1%), 59.6% free-throw percentage, 23.1 minutes/game

So clearly numbers are pretty comparable. Lawson actually averaged more rebounds than Howard per 40 minutes as a freshman. Shooting numbers are very comparable. Howard followed this up by having very good, yet similar sophomore and junior years followed by an ACC POTY in his senior season. His line from his senior year, in which he was predominately playing the 4:

19.5 points/game, 8.3 rebounds/game, 52.8% 2-point fg, 1.7/4.6 threes per game (37.3%), 83.3% free-throw percentage, 32.3 minutes/game

Lawson will never be the defensive force Howard was, but I think he can have a similar offensive impact as Howard at the three and the four, defend both the three and the four, and rebound well enough to have the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

He averaged 5.5 rebounds/game over the last 11 games including two double-digit rebound games in that span. I don't think he'll ever be a true two-guard, but I think his skill set as a 3/small-ball 4 could really be something he excels at.

10 hours ago, Cerebus said:

This will help with a more accurate count. Last night I had several students walk by be as I had my ticket scanned. They flashed their student ID and went by. The guy scanning tickets said y'all are supposed to come through Gate D but made no attempt to stop them. I don't believe they were counted as they simply hurried by as he was scanning other tickets.   

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Brings me back to the good ole days when I was high on AJ. Hopefully he can still reclaim that and get back on that Josh Howard Wake Forest trajectory

I wonder how much that wrist is bothering his game this year?  He was never a crazy good scorer but he seems to have really fallen off.  Also, if the staff can fix Miller, I have hope they could create a catch and shoot jump shot for AJ to make him a threat. 

About 5 minutes into the game, my wife wanted a drink (aghhh) and being the good husband I went to get it.  I noticed a ton of people still trying to get into the Coliseum.  The ticket sellers and ticket takers are painfully slow.  I've noticed the same problem when going in Apogee and the Coliseum.  The device used to scan tickets is slow to read and record (beep) the ticket.  Maybe we should contact the company that reads my toll tag at 60 MPH.

Win tonight.  GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

About 5 minutes into the game, my wife wanted a drink (aghhh) and being the good husband I went to get it.  I noticed a ton of people still trying to get into the Coliseum.  The ticket sellers and ticket takers are painfully slow.  I've noticed the same problem when going in Apogee and the Coliseum.  The device used to scan tickets is slow to read and record (beep) the ticket.  Maybe we should contact the company that reads my toll tag at 60 MPH.

Win tonight.  GO MEAN GREEN

My experience this season has been at each gate that is open, there is only one person available to scan tickets. As attendance increases, the number of people to scan tickets should increase at each gate as well. It will only help things move more quickly.

Something good for next season is there will finally be a dedicated space for selling tickets on the east side of the SuperPit.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I wonder how much that wrist is bothering his game this year?  He was never a crazy good scorer but he seems to have really fallen off.  Also, if the staff can fix Miller, I have hope they could create a catch and shoot jump shot for AJ to make him a threat. 

Miller was just shooting with the wrong hand, as an ambidextrous guy. Lawson can't just switch to his left hand. He has never been a good shooter. That's why he, as a 6'5" guard really didn't have a great offer list. He obviously needs to work on it, but if he's going to be effective here I think it will be by taking a lesser offensive role and being surrounded by shooters so he can make teams pay when they try and man up the shooters around him. He can take guys one on one off the bounce.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:01 AM, southsideguy said:

USF has two 7 foot guys on their team.  I am not sure how good they are but they gave up a 20 point lead.  They can shoot the 3's. I watched  the game last night after I got home from the rockin pit.  We are playing our best basketball of the season in this tournament and I  hope it continues for a few more games.  GMG!

Was Ryan ok last night?  He didn't play as much usually and his foul shooting was way off.  Funny Mercer knew he was the guy to foul.  Nice Mac caught that change the lineup so Mercer didnt have that play anymore.  Ryan is a great player  but he needs to improve the foul shooting or he will see a lot of this going forward.

I have a question that maybe someone can answer.  Holston never looks at the basket and is always looking to pass the ball as soon as he gets it.  Some of the teams  have not even converted him much on D.  I have seen several times he is wide open for shot but never takes it.  I was watching him the shoot a round before the game and he seems to have a nice touch on his shot. I am just wondering why he never shoots?

Is one of them Bill Russell?

North Texas men's basketball vs. Jacksonville State (CBI semifinals)
Date | Time  Wednesday, March 21 | 7 p.m.
Location   Denton, TX | The Super Pit (10,500)
Live Stats   meangreenstats.com
Stream  ESPN3 - John Liddle (PxP), Kyle Youmans (Color)
Radio  MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM -  Dave Barnett (PxP), Hank Dickenson (Color)
Twitter   @MeanGreenMBB
Game Notes   North Texas | JSU

MGS Preview

Edited by greenminer