DRC: UNT in process of finalizing new deals for Littrell, Baker

Brett Vito

Baker and Littrell both deserve extensions and raises.

However, I really think that the buyout clauses for coaches really need to be separated from the presence of the AD and president at the school. I absolutely hated those clauses in the last contracts, where the buyouts for Littrell and MacCasland gets slashed in half if Baker or Smatresk gets hired away (or fired/ not renewed). If someone comes to grab Baker, this means that Littrell/MacCasland could also be gone for cheap,  and the school is left holding the bag and not just having to replace the AD, but having to start over completely. And it sure feels like there is a conflict of interest when the AD negotiates such a clause, as it gives him negotiation leverage when negotiating his own contract.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4

16 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Man, this administration is not messing around and the BOR is bought in.  Is this real life?

Amen brotha.  Also note we seem to have developed a plan B in we have Jarad Mosely as an AD in waiting as well as a rising young star coach in Graham Harrell.  Gone are the days of an empty bench and paying out the arse for some old consultant to butter the bread of his own clients (Neinas and Mac).

On 3/17/2018 at 2:25 PM, outoftown said:

Baker and Littrell both deserve extensions and raises.

However, I really think that the buyout clauses for coaches really need to be separated from the presence of the AD and president at the school. I absolutely hated those clauses in the last contracts, where the buyouts for Littrell and MacCasland gets slashed in half if Baker or Smatresk gets hired away (or fired/ not renewed). If someone comes to grab Baker, this means that Littrell/MacCasland could also be gone for cheap,  and the school is left holding the bag and not just having to replace the AD, but having to start over completely. And it sure feels like there is a conflict of interest when the AD negotiates such a clause, as it gives him negotiation leverage when negotiating his own contract.

I have to agree with this.  Love what SL , GM and WB have dinner here so far but don't agree with that part of the contract.

Especially since rumors of NS wanting to retire soonish are rampant on campus.

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I have to agree with this.  Love what SL , GM and WB have dinner here so far but don't agree with that part of the contract.

Especially since rumors of NS wanting to retire soonish are rampant on campus.

I think Smatresk is being extended too or at least that was referenced in the DRC today. I'm mixed on this. I don't like the clause because if we lose any one of the pieces, it makes it easier for others to leave. But I love the significance of the coaches, AD and President loving working together. We've never had that. I don't think it gives WB any more advantage than Smatty or coaches. They seem to be in this together. The University negotiates the contract based upon their templates. I know the Prez, AD, play roles but so do the BOR, general counsel office and chancellor. In a contact of that magnitude, lots of cooks in the kitchen.

14 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

I think Smatresk is being extended too or at least that was referenced in the DRC today. I'm mixed on this. I don't like the clause because if we lose any one of the pieces, it makes it easier for others to leave. But I love the significance of the coaches, AD and President loving working together. We've never had that. I don't think it gives WB any more advantage than Smatty or coaches. They seem to be in this together. The University negotiates the contract based upon their templates. I know the Prez, AD, play roles but so do the BOR, general counsel office and chancellor. In a contact of that magnitude, lots of cooks in the kitchen.

We need the trio of Smatresk , SL, and WB together for a few more years.  I think this has been a great formula for the success of athletics at UNT.  

One would hope if Smatresk  did hang it up, the BOR would want to hire a prez that makes athletics a priority. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

We need the trio of Smatresk , SL, and WB together for a few more years.  I think this has been a great formula for the success of athletics at UNT.  

One would hope if Smatresk  did hang it up, the BOR would want to hire a prez that makes athletics a priority. 

As long as this guy is in his position, we're good.
-ryan_brint_003.jpg

• Upvote 1

Would really like to see the assistant budgets grow. I get paying the likes of SL, WB because they find these people but we need to be having people potentially stick and not be using UNT as a resume booster. 

I would love to see the salaries somewhat compare with someone like Tech that it’s not people leaving for money and then a better conference but they are leaving because it’s a better conference and the pay is equal or near equal.

Edited by BTG_Fan1

On 3/19/2018 at 1:51 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Would really like to see the assistant budgets grow. I get paying the likes of SL, WB because they find these people but we need to be having people potentially stick and not be using UNT as a resume booster. 

I would love to see the salaries somewhat compare with someone like Tech that it’s not people leaving for money and then a better conference but they are leaving because it’s a better conference and the pay is equal or near equal.

Assistant budgets under SL (more so since WB became AD -- and thank goodness he did!) have soared as related to G5 peers. UNT spends more % of total athletics budget on football salaries than any G5 in the country.

That second one is nearly impossible to overcome. Salaries being at parity with Tech will be tough until more revenues are generated, and remember Tech has a built in $34,000,000 advantage with their conference TV revenues.

Just need to focus on getting salaries/budgets up the $40M-$45M range to show we are ready to compete with middling AAC/MWC programs.  Baseball will add $3M-$4M, but still need several $M to get to the middle of the pack of those conferences.

We really need our own billionaire sugar daddy.