Question

meanrob

Not going to lie, I gave us no chance vs SD. Even without it being in the CBI this is very good win. Which got me thinking- how many times in my twenty five years of NT fandom have we played a game in which I thought we had NO chance and we ended up winning. The list is pretty small but off the top of my head-

We beat Boise in 98 and 99 when we weren't very good and they were. 

At the start of DD's run we were 1-5 I believe and beat a very good and hyped up MTSU at Fouts.

One of Trilli's teams went to UCSB and crushed the Gauchos when UCSB was decent. 

Uh...er....maybe JJ had one of those but I'm not remembering one. But that's also a testament to believing JJ's teams always had a chance. 

Strangely enough I thought we had a chance in both our wins at Texas Tech. 

There has to be more. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

One I remember is when we Benford was coach and we crushed A&M by 20 in College Station.  Now that wasn't a good Aggies team, but that was by far the best win he ever had at NT and a total stunner.  I thought we were gonna lose that game by double figures.

Just now, CMJ said:

One I remember is when we Benford was coach and we crushed A&M by 20 in College Station.  Now that wasn't a good Aggies team, but that was by far the best win he ever had at NT and a total stunner.  I thought we were gonna lose that game by double figures.

I remember watching that game on tv and fully expecting to bail at halftime. That was way out of left field. And sadly, a total outlier. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I didn't think there was a chance against USD.  But here we are.

That MTSU win in 2001 was a surprise.  On paper up to that point, we apparently had no chance.  But after the next four years I think it's safe to say now we were not worse than MTSU, just poor results leading into the game.  They had a TE that was 6'7", and their offense as a whole was averaging over 7 yards/snap, IIRC.

59 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Yeah, I didn't think there was a chance against USD.  But here we are.

That MTSU win in 2001 was a surprise.  On paper up to that point, we apparently had no chance.  But after the next four years I think it's safe to say now we were not worse than MTSU, just poor results leading into the game.  They had a TE that was 6'7", and their offense as a whole was averaging over 7 yards/snap, IIRC.

Hicks for Heisman. Their TB came in hot and quickly grew tired of getting hammered by Spencer, Booger, Buckles, Jones, etc...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Not positive, but I don’t think that was 2001.

It was. Saved DD's job and started the streak. I had never heard of MUTS until that game. Between the Hicks 4 Heisman, their Coach Andy Mac and his pajama/warm up suit attire, the snot shooting mascot and their attitude during that game and when we went to the NOLA Bowl cemented my dislike of the Hillbilly Dogs. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

It was. Saved DD's job and started the streak. I had never heard of MUTS until that game. Between the Hicks 4 Heisman, their Coach Andy Mac and his pajama/warm up suit attire, the snot shooting mascot and their attitude during that game and when we went to the NOLA Bowl cemented my dislike of the Hillbilly Dogs. 

Hicks was 2001 OFF POY as a junior.  The Hicks for Heisman campaign was for 2002.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1817&dat=20020829&id=_HshAAAAIBAJ&sjid=VIoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3611,9355151&hl=en

• Upvote 1

Ball State, 2009

I thought we would get slaughtered by Ball State in the football season opener in 2009.  And why not?  The year before Ball State finished 12-2, and we finished 1-11.  As it turned out several of us traveled to Muncie,  meanrob & Evan included and were treated to a nice 20-10 win.

IMG_5112.PNG.da2976e8be8ed2151cac3adf5bb7fa7c.PNG

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, CMJ said:

That was the season before my freshman year. I thought "Oh hell yeah. North Texas is going to be awesome in football and basketball when I get there!?

Nope.

• Haha 3