Heart of Dallas Bowl Under Fire

UNTexas

On 3/14/2018 at 7:40 AM, MrStrange18 said:

Has anyone ever heard if there has been any interest in Apogee hosting a bowl game in the past or possibly one day in the future?

I would love for them to talk to Winstar and have Winstar sponsor the FCS championship. Plenty close to Winstar and very easy to get to denton usually.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:30 AM, MCMLXXX said:

We should try to get the FCS championship game from Frisco. More seats without being to big, a true football stadium, club seating, etc. We just need to take down Fouts and get more parking.

What they need to do is on that master plan.. they have planned parking right across the street from Apogee.. they need to get more people on the Apogee side of the stadium! 

On 3/14/2018 at 9:21 AM, GMG_Dallas said:

I would think the solution is a local team (g5 or p5) against a regional P5. A combo of teams like UNT, Texas Tech, Arkansas would probably garner great returns. It's not bringing in UNT that hurts, its UNLV on the other side that does.

This would make a lot of sense for the bowls. However, the problem with that is that the P5 conferences hate games of P5 vs G5s in bowls.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:52 PM, Green Lantern said:

From last year’s game. Pretty brutal.

7C774422-03A6-419C-8AC5-3DCBA31DC2A2.jpeg

Blame it on the weather.  That's the reason for the poor attendance last year.  I live where it reaches single digits, and I work in the elements, and I had to leave at halftime.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:27 AM, oldguystudent said:

First of all, Robert Wilonsky really sounds like one of those "That money could've been spent on organic quinoa for the homeless!" types in this article.  

Now then:

Ouch, baby.  Ouch. 

Wilonsky has always sounded like a douche.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, outoftown said:

This would make a lot of sense for the bowls. However, the problem with that is that the P5 conferences hate games of P5 vs G5s in bowls.

If some of these "low end" bowl games want to stick around, they need to stop giving a crap what the conferences want. The schools will take whatever bowl games helps them sell tickets and hopefully get a win and more often than not will pick a bowl game over no bowl game. You bring in two nearby programs such as Arkansas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, UNT, Oklahoma state, Texas a&m, LaTech, LSU etc..., and the bowl/city won't have problems making money. All of those programs have built in fan bases in DFW as well as fan bases who are willing to make the short drive to Dallas even to play a UNT, LaTech, Houston. 

I don't care how well a fan base travels, your only chance of getting good showings for a "low end" P5 bowl game is to pick programs close enough to where the fans won't have to unreasonably inconvenience themselves to attend a game that doesn't matter at the end of an 8-4 campaign. Hotels will suffer but that's what the City of Dallas gets for letting Arlington get Cowboys Stadium.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If some of these "low end" bowl games want to stick around, they need to stop giving a crap what the conferences want. The schools will take whatever bowl games helps them sell tickets and hopefully get a win and more often than not will pick a bowl game over no bowl game. You bring in two nearby programs such as Arkansas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, UNT, Oklahoma state, Texas a&m, LaTech, LSU etc..., and the bowl/city won't have problems making money. All of those programs have built in fan bases in DFW as well as fan bases who are willing to make the short drive to Dallas even to play a UNT, LaTech, Houston. 

I don't care how well a fan base travels, your only chance of getting good showings for a "low end" P5 bowl game is to pick programs close enough to where the fans won't have to unreasonably inconvenience themselves to attend a game that doesn't matter at the end of an 8-4 campaign. Hotels will suffer but that's what the City of Dallas gets for letting Arlington get Cowboys Stadium.

Vous avez raison.  If they can't sign CUSA vs. Big XII then just make it At Large vs. At Large and pick the nearest FBS teams that they can.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Vous avez raison.  If they can't sign CUSA vs. Big XII then just make it At Large vs. At Large and pick the nearest FBS teams that they can.

That's how it used to be for every bowl game, except for the Rose Bowl. Even if a conference sent its champion there, the other opponent was always an at-large team. It was a better college bowl world back then. Now, you get the Independence Bowl basically bending over the barrel to get Florida State to play there against whoever they wanted to play from CUSA.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

That's how it used to be for every bowl game, except for the Rose Bowl. Even if a conference sent its champion there, the other opponent was always an at-large team. It was a better college bowl world back then. Now, you get the Independence Bowl basically bending over the barrel to get Florida State to play there against whoever they wanted to play from CUSA.

If the Bowls had waited to invite teams till after the season maybe, but I remember as a kid plenty of times when a school would accept a Bowl invite with 3-4 games left and then nosedive.  I also remember once when Penn State accepted the Blockbuster Bowl BEFORE THE SEASON EVEN STARTED.

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

If the Bowls had waited to invite teams till after the season maybe, but I remember as a kid plenty of times when a school would accept a Bowl invite with 3-4 games left and then nosedive.  I also remember once when Penn State accepted the Blockbuster Bowl BEFORE THE SEASON EVEN STARTED.

https://www.si.com/vault/1975/12/22/616716/a-direct-bearing-on-the-bowls

• Lovely Take 1