DRC: Five things UNT fans should know about South Dakota

Brett Vito

9 minutes ago, wardly said:

Its probably good for the program. Otherwise, why would a 15-17 team that has lost 7 of last 8 play post season.Actually, the biggest question is how we got invited? I guess the CBI was down to the "U's" in the directory, as in UNT.

According to the NT Daily article, we received the invitation a month ago.  Exactly one month ago we were 14-11 and competing for one of the first round byes in the CUSA tournament.  We appeared to be on the upswing at that point, and one could have reasonably projected us to finish with 18, 19 wins or more.

In my opinion, the chance to pull off an upset against a really good team in a meaningful postseason game provides a great opportunity to put that nasty 1-7 finish firmly in the rearview mirror as we prepare for next season.  Every single one of our players who will be available against South Dakota will be back next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

I’m wondering if we are going just to make the claim Grant made a post season tournament in his first year. 

Andrew, you absolutely nailed it!!! This does not help the program at all. Instead, it's an opportunity to build on this coaches’ resume; for the exact reason you mentioned. Additionally, that of a young/new AD. This is embarrassing actually. I'm sure there were more programs to turned this joke down than accept. Are we this desperate?

It also gives Brett Vito yet another opportunity to blast Tony Benford by calling a 15-17 record (soon to be 15-18) a "Highly Successful Season".  Bill Blakeley must be turning over in his grave having had 3 plus 20+ seasons in a row, at the height of the best of times, with no place to go.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 9

On 3/12/2018 at 8:38 PM, Cooley said:

Andrew, you absolutely nailed it!!! This does not help the program at all. Instead, it's an opportunity to build on this coaches’ resume; for the exact reason you mentioned. Additionally, that of a young/new AD. This is embarrassing actually. I'm sure there were more programs to turned this joke down than accept. Are we this desperate?

It also gives Brett Vito yet another opportunity to blast Tony Benford by calling a 15-17 record (soon to be 15-18) a "Highly Successful Season".  Bill Blakeley must be turning over in his grave having had 3 plus 20+ seasons in a row, at the height of the best of times, with no place to go.

This is a terrible take. We are 13 point dogs. Beating USD doesn't impress anyone on paper. Losing to them looks bad. Doubtful the coach is trying to pad his resume. Nobody will look at the a CBI on a resume and be like I want to hire that coach or AD. Come on. You don't like these tournaments, fine. I'm pretty much indifferent to it. But claiming we are playing to pad the coach's resume is crazy talk. It's pretty much identical to accepting a bowl bid with 5 wins. In fact, more than 1/2 of FBS football teams play in bowls, and only 1/3 of bball plays in all postseason events combined.

Bottom line, we have a young team that seems excited to play and could use continued experience. Especially a guy like Duffy who was injured a lot during the season.

Edited by meangreenJW

9 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

This is a terrible take. We are 13 point dogs. Beating USD doesn't impress anyone on paper. Losing to them looks bad. Doubtful the coach is trying to pad his resume. Nobody will look at the a CBI on a resume and be like I want to hire that coach or AD. Come on. You don't like these tournaments, fine. I'm pretty much indifferent to it. But claiming we are playing to pad the coach's resume is crazy talk. It's pretty much identical to accepting a bowl bid with 5 wins. In fact, more than 1/2 of FBS football teams play in bowls, and only 1/3 of bball plays in all postseason events combined.

Bottom line, we have a young team that seems excited to play and could use continued experience. Especially a guy like Duffy who was injured a lot during the season.

Agree.  Just more of the type of thinking that continually looks for the negative at every turn.  

The team got invited.  They did not 'pay' for a game.  Somehow it is acceptable for teams from every P5 conference to have played in this tournament previously, but somehow UNT is above it. 

I don't see where the program is in a position to be turning down offers to play in the post season.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Agree.  Just more of the type of thinking that continually looks for the negative at every turn.  

The team got invited.  They did not 'pay' for a game.  Somehow it is acceptable for teams from every P5 conference to have played in this tournament previously, but somehow UNT is above it. 

I don't see where the program is in a position to be turning down offers to play in the post season.  

and this will probably be these kids' only chance to ever go to south dakota...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, THOR said:

and this will probably be these kids' only chance to ever go to south dakota...

It will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity...the team has tickets for the show!

200w.gif