Basketball and football are over

southsideguy

3 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

Alright, I'll bite.  Why?

Because they GET ON WITH IT! The pitcher and batter act as if they have a shot clock on them, and they don't fart around in the batters box. No scratching and spitting.

Someone (I can't remember who) recently said that there was actually only 18 minutes of action in a typical baseball game. From my perspective i think they are being generous. 

Baseball.....slow, slow, slow. 

Women's softball.......(by comparison) fast, fast, fast. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Because they GET ON WITH IT! The pitcher and batter act as if they have a shot clock on them, and they don't fart around in the batters box. No scratching and spitting.

Someone (I can't remember who) recently said that there was actually only 18 minutes of action in a typical baseball game. From my perspective i think they are being generous. 

Women's softball.......(by comparison) fast, fast, fast. 

Oh, ok. That makes sense.  

I like the pace.  Like people say, it's a talking sport, more laid back than most sports.  With the way people's attention spans are shrinking, baseball doesn't stand a chance.

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Green Crazy said:

Oh, ok. That makes sense.  

I like the pace.  Like people say, it's a talking sport, more laid back than most sports.  With the way people's attention spans are shrinking, baseball doesn't stand a chance.

So I'm told.  The only thing slower is golf.

I'm a boomer and I have an above average attention span. But most of the conversation going on is about stats. I never understood what they (the statistics geeks) were talking about. AND statistic geeks (like most men) are terrible teachers. So, it was even more boring for me.

I'm going to try and attend the North Texas day Rangers game.....for the first time. But mainly to support the alumni association........and get a real cool cap. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I could make this exact argument about football though, and don't even get me started on the last two minutes of every basketball game ever played.   

College baseball, like MLB, is toying with a pitch clock.  Not set in stone yet, but probably imminent.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I could make this exact argument about football though, and don't even get me started on the last two minutes of every basketball game ever played.   

College baseball, like MLB, is toying with a pitch clock.  Not set in stone yet, but probably imminent.  

yep.  

Two minutes left on the clock is equal to 15-20 minutes in real time..........possibly more.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

So I'm told.  The only thing slower is golf.

I'm a boomer and I have an above average attention span. But most of the conversation going on is about stats. I never understood what they (the statistics geeks) were talking about. AND statistic geeks (like most men) are terrible teachers. So, it was even more boring for me.

I'm going to try and attend the North Texas day Rangers game.....for the first time. But mainly to support the alumni association........and get a real cool cap. 

Lots of people want and need baseball at NT. It needs to happen. 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

This is good because your one of the few people I know in this world who can actually wear the damn pickle buckets they give out for that promotion.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

This is more of a college basketball problem now since the NBA made the rule change this year to only allow each team to take 2 timeouts into the final 3 minutes of a game. It's greatly helped the flow of games IMO.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/07/12/nba-board-governors-timeout-rules-game-flow-trade-deadline#/

• Upvote 1

Not so fast on basketball...UNT men will play Mercer at 7pm on Monday, March 19th in the quarterfinals of the CBI at the Super Pit! Be there Mean Green peeps...we need a good crowd to solidify this home court advantage! TOURNAMENT TIME at the Super Pit! Be still my heart! Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

Ok the basketball tournament caught me by surprise.  I had not heard of this tournament until we got into it.  Football is spring football and  mostly drills.  Can catch the spring game but really this is the off season for football.  I went to  coach mac's spring games and could never tell if we were good or bad because we played ourselves.  Was not much of measurement.  I think this true for most schools. I will be at the game and I am not sure what team will show.  We look so good at points and so flat in others.  I watched the Mercer /GCU game for the first half. I thought GCU was the better team.  They sure had a nice crowd at their game or maybe their gym is very small.  I hope the pit can look at least that good on Monday.

3 hours ago, risinggreen said:

Neither one are over yet.

Edited by southsideguy