Best Ways to Impact/Stay Involved as Alumni

MrStrange18

So, graduation is coming up at the end of the semester.  I wanted your feedback on best ways to stay involved/give to UNT and athletics.

I have was kind of hoping as a graduating senior, I would start getting stuff in the mail from the alumni association.  Maybe it is too early for that still

I see stuff on the MGSF and Diamond Eagles... is there a cost involved with joining the Alumni assc too?

I want to give and stay involved after graduation, but wanted to hear from you on the best ways to do.  Thanks!

GMG!

• Upvote 2

Alumni Association should be free for the first year (there's a little fee that normally would be returned to you but you can opt for the university to keep it in exchange for a year in the Alumni Association). Afterwards it's $40/year unless you opt for the lifetime membership.

Other than that, give to whatever you want. This page is your one-stop place to make any donation you wish. From that page, you can pick athletics (Mean Green Scholarship Fund), Diamond Eagles, College-level funds, Department-level funds, etc. Departments (at least in the College of Engineering since that's my familiarity) tend to have generic funds, "excellence" funds, etc. It's best to ask the department what the difference between them are -- some go specifically to costs incurred by the department chair, for example, while others go to student scholarships. There's also the generic "where my money has the most impact" which is the most open donation bucket which the university can use for whatever they want.

And of course, try to attend games and events! I hope that helps!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Keeping alumni engaged may be our biggest weakness as an institution

Believe it or not — it has gotten a lot better.  But  as Coach Dickey used to say, “we still have a very long way to go.”

But if you want to help, then help.  Don't wait to be asked.  Call the ticket office and but season tickets.  Any section season tickets.  Donate the minimum to the MGSF.  And do it cheerfully.  As your situation improves, but better seats.  But again, DONT WAIT TO BE ASKED.  Too many here get their feelings hurt if they don't get a phone call or a letter.  If you buy season tickets and make a donation to the MGSF, the Athletic Department will know where to find you.  And then, ATTEND THE GAMES.  Be part of the Mean Green Nation.  Win or lose, you'll have a great time. 

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, greenjoe said:

But if you want to help, then help.  Don't wait to be asked.  Call the ticket office and but season tickets.  Any section season tickets.  Donate the minimum to the MGSF.  And do it cheerfully.  As your situation improves, but better seats.  But again, DONT WAIT TO BE ASKED.  Too many here get their feelings hurt if they don't get a phone call or a letter.  If you buy season tickets and make a donation to the MGSF, the Athletic Department will know where to find you.  And then, ATTEND THE GAMES.  Be part of the Mean Green Nation.  Win or lose, you'll have a great time. 

GO MEAN GREEN

He’s right.  If you aren’t a member of the MGSF it’s because you haven’t called them, or they haven’t called you.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

I will say this.. I already give to the MGSF as a student.  No one asked me.  You make it all sound so fun. 

Edited by MrStrange18
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

I will say this.. I already give to the MGSF as a student.  No one asked me.  You make it all sound so fun. 

Buying season tix and showing up to the games and whatever event(s) you can attend is the best way to stay active and involved. You meet a lot of people just doing these 2 basic things. 

• Upvote 2

BTW...back to the original question...best way to give back is join the Alumni Association and attend when you can.  They have really done a great job hosting events.

The blowout they threw down at Rice was impressive...well, that and the scotch Scotty C was sharing.

Great times.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1