Star Telegram Sh*ts All Over UNT

The story was on the front page of their Sunday print edition and made the point that only Texas and Texas A and M did not rely on student fees and university funds to finance athletics.   It quoted several students who did not seem thrilled that athletics is part of their college expenses.   It was pretty slanted and pretty negative towards North Texas and other schools but I really don't think anyone pays any attention to the Star-Telegram these days.  It is still available on their web site if you want to read it but it really is a waste of your time in my opinion.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

DF writer https://twitter.com/PeterDawsonFWST puts ZERO in context about the attendance crowd and how bad things were in recent years completely disregarding attendance of JJ's era.

He even pinned the article to his Twitter profile https://twitter.com/PeterDawsonFWST

This spare is not even from here.  Before he lived in Chicago he was a Masshole.  

So Peter... noone gives a shit if your friend at CMU ....a school which many don't know exists until a student kills his parents when they come to pick him up https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/us/central-michigan-shooting.html ... knows who North Texas is.

Now go ask UT and TAMU students how much it costs for them to attend a football game at their university.

University of Houston- Athletics fee is buried in the Student Service Fee. My guess is that most of the fee goes to Athletics.  Athletics is an organization, right?  Oh, and that’s “per semester”.

Edit- U of H SSF will increase in 2018.  Here’s a link to how the money is distributed. Athletics and band get a chunk.

http://www.uh.edu/sfac/unit-requests/fy19/_files/final-report.pdf

Student Services Fee $255/sem The Student Service Fee supports various campus activities and organizations dedicated to student life and its enhancement.
Edited by DeepGreen

People like the author hate athletics at colleges. They think that it is just awful for sports to even exist on campus anywhere.

This idiot cannot handle that the fee passed here. He HATES the fact that nobody will ever pay one cent to go watch a journalism class in a writing contest. Poor fellow, he should really just move away from here. Texans like sports, especially football, so it’s not like he’s going to get one ounce of change on this. He would have loved Old Denton...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes, a lot of the article was very slanted towards how negative all this is. The writer didn't even try to hide it. 

I would be interested to to see what athletics does for a university on a positive note.  Not sure what research could quantify that. 

Yes, UT and a&m have no student fees, but it is a good point to bring up that it does cost students a pretty penny to attend a game. 

Also, is it fair to compare UNT to UT Arlington? 

Earth shattering information, this rehash of several other reports.   Of course the focus is on the two metroplex state schools, but it could be on the majority of fbs schools that play below the pro level of UT and the SEC.   

College sports are heavily subsidized at most schools and I don't believe this can be sustained forever.     This will ultimately end with the 80% of universities that lose money on athletics going away or some plan being enacted to bring more competition into college sports.  

Is the problem the $30m athletic budget teams that are heavily subsidized by students, or the $100m budgeted universities that have to find ways to spend their money and escalate the athletic arms race?

3 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

I don't have the Twitter, but I want to make one now so I can type obscenities at the author.  Seriously, screw this guy.

Be careful....cause there's some extremely weak-knee'd wussies out there that can give it but sure can't take it, and he's probably one of em.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

Most younger folks don't remember it but TCU was once just horrible in athletics - especially football.    Dennis Franchione got it turned around before leaving for Alabama and Gary Patterson has kept it going since then.    What some of the old time administrators at TCU will tell you is that once they started winning in football the number of kids applying to go to school at TCU went up and the ACT or SAT scores of the applicants went up.  People who do not like athletics will tell you that this was just a coincidence but the people who were at TCU at that time strongly disagree.  They will tell you that the positive publicity that they got from athletics had a very positive result for the school that continues to this day.  The author of this article was probably in diapers when this occurred and has no idea about this type of thing at TCU - or anywhere else for that matter.  Too bad..........

• Upvote 7