DRC: Saturday practice notes, thoughts

Brett Vito

I didn't see anyone that looked like Bryce English walking around in a boot on the sideline or amongst the group of players while they warmed up.

Pearson looked okay, but not terribly threatening. All of the QB's today looked pretty much okay today. Only three Fine, Person and Manvel got reps today. 

Amongst the RB's today it was the DeAndre Torry show.  The guy can move......really move. On one of his runs his "stop-start" was something to see. And I didn't see him brought down with an arm tackle. He's too low to the ground (5'7" X 185).

The player working his tail off today to get playing time this fall was Quinetin  Jackson (#13).  The guy was making some very impressive catches......although some ended up being out of bounds.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I didn't see anyone that looked like Bryce English walking around in a boot on the sideline or amongst the group of players while they warmed up.

Pearson looked okay, but not terribly threatening. All of the QB's today looked pretty much okay today. Only three Fine, Person and Manvel got reps today. 

Amongst the RB's today it was the DeAndre Torry show.  The guy can move......really move. On one of his runs his "stop-start" was something to see. And I didn't see him brought down with an arm tackle. He's too low to the ground (5'7" X 185).

The player working his tail off today to get playing time this fall was Quinetin  Jackson (#13).  The guy was making some very impressive catches......although some ended up being out of bounds.

Jackson had an impressive TD catch vs Lamar and then played sparingly after that. Will be interesting if he/Rutherford can step up into that role Smiley player or if Shorter/White fill that role sooner 

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Jackson had an impressive TD catch vs Lamar and then played sparingly after that. Will be interesting if he/Rutherford can step up into that role Smiley player or if Shorter/White fill that role sooner 

Jackson should carve out some time.  I think with Rutherford, what we’ve seen is what we get.  My $ would be on the two bolded, and put Ogunmakin in the mix.

13 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

After today, I've pretty much given up on Rutherford. Too many drops and bad routes. I could be wrong, but all I see now is lots of unfulfilled potential.

Addendum to my first post:   I noticed that they were having Darden (no surprise there), Duhon and Lawrence shagging punts today. 

Also, Brewer (#18 transfer from Kansas) made a pretty good grab in heavy traffic. And while he didn't get much yardage afterward, it took two guys to bring him down. He may bear watching.

Addendum #2  BV has mentioned Shanbour having some sort of injury and not being able to go. He didn't scrimmage but he did hold for kicks. I couldn't see any braces on either knee or tape on his ankles. But I did notice about an 8 inch long strip of that new tape that they use  that kind of looks like duck tape, was on the backside of his right knee. So I'm assuming that he has some sort of muscle or tendon strain. 

Chumley was out there in his jersey and shorts. He wasn't limping nor did he have a brace on either of his knees.......or tape on his ankles. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

Am I the only one that thinks Jordan Murray playing second team guard is a big deal?  Wtf happened here for Vito to think Woodworth would start over him?

I love Jordan and I think he has worked hard and been a good soldier for UNT.  But dammit - he got beaten a lot last season at tackle and I just don’t think he has the feet to consistently defend against the better pass rushers in the conference.  I hope he will continue to work and improve but we need a plan B.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I love Jordan and I think he has worked hard and been a good soldier for UNT.  But dammit - he got beaten a lot last season at tackle and I just don’t think he has the feet to consistently defend against the better pass rushers in the conference.  I hope he will continue to work and improve but we need a plan B.

FAU twice and Troy really exposed that side of the line. Mason was running for his life in all 3 of those critical games.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Harry said:

True, but guard?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

True, but guard?

Yes I think he is a better guard but I think his height combined with Fines makes that harder.  I will leave it to the coaches on here to confirm that.  

Want to be very careful here to state that Jordan will be close to a 4 year starter for us which is rare and should be respected. 

So many weapons on offense, it’s not even funny. Our outside WR’s have clearly dedicated themselves in the weightroom over this short offseason and are both nearly 210, looking like NFL players. With Lawrence, Brewer, and Darden inside, it’s short and shifty running backs, it looks a lot like those Tech offenses under Leach. We have a special QB in Mason.

Good to see defense play better. First string D line is salty. Fulp looks really good as a young LB at 6’2” 235+. Young secondary is much better than last years (and the current group of “1s”) group. Davis, Siggers, and Sanders are all play making safeties. Johnson is a good looking young corner. Will be interesting to watch these positions develop.

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

So many weapons on offense, it’s not even funny. Our outside WR’s have clearly dedicated themselves in the weightroom over this short offseason and are both nearly 210, looking like NFL players. With Lawrence, Brewer, and Darden inside, it’s short and shifty running backs, it looks a lot like those Tech offenses under Leach. We have a special QB in Mason.

Good to see defense play better. First string D line is salty. Fulp looks really good as a young LB at 6’2” 235+. Young secondary is much better than last years (and the current group of “1s”) group. Davis, Siggers, and Sanders are all play making safeties. Johnson is a good looking young corner. Will be interesting to watch these positions develop.

Here's hoping Rico's lingering Hamstring issues don't keep him from being as effective as we all know he can be. Excited to see improvement at the LB position. Won't be surprised to see Fulp start at some point this year next to Ejiya/Jojo

On 3/4/2018 at 12:53 AM, SilverEagle said:

After today, I've pretty much given up on Rutherford. Too many drops and bad routes. I could be wrong, but all I see now is lots of unfulfilled potential.

Addendum to my first post:   I noticed that they were having Darden (no surprise there), Duhon and Lawrence shagging punts today. 

Also, Brewer (#18 transfer from Kansas) made a pretty good grab in heavy traffic. And while he didn't get much yardage afterward, it took two guys to bring him down. He may bear watching.

Addendum #2  BV has mentioned Shanbour having some sort of injury and not being able to go. He didn't scrimmage but he did hold for kicks. I couldn't see any braces on either knee or tape on his ankles. But I did notice about an 8 inch long strip of that new tape that they use  that kind of looks like duck tape, was on the backside of his right knee. So I'm assuming that he has some sort of muscle or tendon strain. 

Chumley was out there in his jersey and shorts. He wasn't limping nor did he have a brace on either of his knees.......or tape on his ankles. 

With the depth and talent at Outside/Inside WR and potential questions at RB (No one seems to have locked down the job), I wonder if UNT goes with 4 WRs and a TE that stays in and blocks as a 6th OL...

Would love to see Guyton, Rico, Shorter, White on the outside with with guys like Darden, Lawerence, Brewer in some sort of combo and Fine having time.

On 3/4/2018 at 12:30 PM, Green Crazy said:

Am I the only one that thinks Jordan Murray playing second team guard is a big deal?  Wtf happened here for Vito to think Woodworth would start over him?

Murray is a mountain of a man and looks every bit of an NFL, but he does not have the foot speed to be an tackle. He is solid when he can get his hands on someone but if they go wide he has 0 change. Murray was an average tackle and much improved over SLs first year, but he got burned to much and Fine suffered at times, most notable the hit Fine took right before the TD pass to Guyton from Quinn vs Iowa... Murray was lucky that Fine did not blow out his knee and then some with the hit Fine took. 

Murray moving inside is better for Murray because of his inability to play in space, allowing him to match up with DTs/DE/LBs that are close to him but it hurts Fine since Murray is nearly a foot taller in pads than Fine limiting his ability to see down field. An example, the Game winning TD vs UTSA right between the Center and RG (which would likely be Murray's spot) may not have happened with Murray inside.

On 3/4/2018 at 6:29 PM, MGNation92 said:

Here's hoping Rico's lingering Hamstring issues don't keep him from being as effective as we all know he can be. Excited to see improvement at the LB position. Won't be surprised to see Fulp start at some point this year next to Ejiya/Jojo

Should be a huge year for Rico. Hope his injury bug is behind him, and he can improve his hands (at times he seemed to double catch/drop some passes). Rico I do feel like will help Guyton a ton and will be a true Deep-Threat not allowing teams to double Guyton as much hopefully.

Fulp, I hope he plays but with the JUCO LB Faison that we recruited, isn't he (Fiaison) more of an EJ type of LB? Garner will have to fit for a spot, with Fulp and Faison coming in. Jojo, I just hope can put on some weight and get up to 230+ so he isn't getting manhandled by Tackles in the running game.

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Murray moving inside is better for Murray because of his inability to play in space, allowing him to match up with DTs/DE/LBs that are close to him but it hurts Fine since Murray is nearly a foot taller in pads than Fine limiting his ability to see down field. An example, the Game winning TD vs UTSA right between the Center and RG (which would likely be Murray's spot) may not have happened with Murray inside.

:Yes:

On 3/4/2018 at 12:30 PM, Green Crazy said:

There's a reason LT's are usually some of the highest paid players in the NFL. Woodworth is a much more athletic player than Murray. What you're losing in size, you're gaining in athleticism. In this kind of offense it's imperative that your tackles be able to move and Murray's feet/hips have been his downfall.

• Lovely Take 1

On 3/6/2018 at 1:12 PM, edcollopy said:

Fine will practice behind Murray and will know which plays he'll have to slide one way or the other.  Robert Gallery was a can't miss tackle that got moved to guard because of his footwork....it's not the end of Murray.

You’re comparing Murray to a former #2 overall pick? 

Also, Gallery moved spots because of his arm length and not just his inability as a LT. Iowa has turned out many solid D1 Tackles to the pros that get moved inside to guard because of their arm length.

murrays inability to move his hips and dealing with speed rushers is his biggest problem, not measurables

• Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I think his point was that Gallery was extremely tall and was moved inside and his QB, after practicing behind him, made adjustments to his game.

Yes Gallery was tall (6’7), but he was still shorter than Murray who is 6’9 from what I recall. His QB I recall was Drew Tate who was 6’0 and Fine is under 6’0 at 5’10 or 5’11.. not a major difference but it adds up. 

Gallery also did not move inside till he was in the NFL.. so again, Gallery is a bad comparison for Murray

• Downvote 3