Wilson's Combine

ABrownGMG

1 minute ago, ABrownGMG said:

I'm watching the combine right now and realized that I didn't see Wilson run a 40 at all. Anyone know if he chose not to run it or was suffering from an injury?

Doctors at the combine advised he not participate in the drills until his pro day. Probably due to the lower leg injury he suffered last season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not running at the combine is not that uncommon and will not hurt his draft status.  Neither will Barkley's stats, which are off the charts for any running back.

It might not hurt his draft status, per se.  But he was already not projected by most sources to be drafted.  A good showing at the combine could only have boosted his status.  Not all NFL teams will send a representative to UNT's pro day, but they were all watching today.

That said, if his doctors didn't think it wise, it probably wouldn't have been.

14 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It might not hurt his draft status, per se.  But he was already not projected by most sources to be drafted.  A good showing at the combine could only have boosted his status.  Not all NFL teams will send a representative to UNT's pro day, but they were all watching today.

That said, if his doctors didn't think it wise, it probably wouldn't have been.

Or he could watch his chances completely evaporate.   Orlando Brown's stock PLUMMETED today.  Most considered him a 1st round talent (easy).  Now... major red flags.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Not running at the combine is not that uncommon and will not hurt his draft status.  Neither will Barkley's stats, which are off the charts for any running back.

You know what Barkley isn't that great at? Being a running back. He was consistently stopped for long periods of games. He's a hell of an athlete though. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, meanrob said:

You know what Barkley isn't that great at? Being a running back. He was consistently stopped for long periods of games. He's a hell of an athlete though. 

He was already the #1 ranked RB in the draft before the combine.  So I would have to say your assessment is off.

• Haha 2

The only way Wilson hurt his draft stock this week is if he had bad interviews.

Teams will be wary already with the high rate of fumbles and missed games over his career.

Hopefully he tests well at our pro day to push him in to the 5th-6th round range in teams eyes.

I would love to end the draftless streak but going in the 7th round would be worst case for him, having your choice between teams as a UDFA is much better for the player at that point..

We had a guy who was the son of a pretty well known NFL player here and went on to be All Pro before injuries ended his career and he still did not get drafted, we have a major perception problem here that needs to change.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

55 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

The only way Wilson hurt his draft stock this week is if he had bad interviews.

Teams will be wary already with the high rate of fumbles and missed games over his career.

Hopefully he tests well at our pro day to push him in to the 5th-6th round range in teams eyes.

I would love to end the draftless streak but going in the 7th round would be worst case for him, having your choice between teams as a UDFA is much better for the player at that point..

We had a guy who was the son of a pretty well known NFL player here and went on to be All Pro before injuries ended his career and he still did not get drafted, we have a major perception problem here that needs to change.

It has not been a perception problem, it has been a talent problem.   

Orr was not drafted because he didn't fit their physical metrics, not because he went to NT.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

It has not been a perception problem, it has been a talent problem.   

Orr was not drafted because he didn't fit their physical metrics, not because he went to NT.  

I am fully aware he did not have the measurables NFL teams like.

Still, with his dads pedigree and his play here he should have gotten more of a look than he did.

There is clearly a perception problem when the few guys who have made NFL rosters in recent years had to do it the UDFA route..

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

He was already the #1 ranked RB in the draft before the combine.  So I would have to say your assessment is off.

He might do just fine. But when you can't average three yards against Rutgers, Indiana, and you have eight games under 100 yards rushing, i'm just saying he might not be that great of a runner. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, meanrob said:

He might do just fine. But when you can't average three yards against Rutgers, Indiana, and you have eight games under 100 yards rushing, i'm just saying he might not be that great of a runner. 

He reminds of Cordarrelle Patterson out of Tennessee a few years ago. Average receiver in his one season at the FBS level but was an all-purpose yards beast. Regardless, drafted in the first round due to measurables and athleticism. Result is an average NFL career.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

7 hours ago, meanrob said:

He might do just fine. But when you can't average three yards against Rutgers, Indiana, and you have eight games under 100 yards rushing, I'm just saying he might not be that great of a runner. 

I agree with you. Barkley is very athletic, but his performance on the field doesn't match what he is doing at the combine. For me that is a red flag. I think Chubb will be a much better player in the NFL.

To be totally honest. I don't like the way the NFL tests the players at the combine. I'd have all the player run the 40s, run drills, jump the vertical, and do the bench, in full pads. Find out how athletic they are in actual gear.

17 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

.Not all NFL teams will send a representative to UNT's pro day, but they were all watching today.

In this day and age of video, social media, camera phones, etc... his results will be out there for all to see. If he tests off the charts, the word will spread like wildfire. 

9 hours ago, meanrob said:

We'll see.  I imagine I watched him more than you did, so you have to understand there is a context to those lower yardage games.  And you have to understand that he was running behind a below-Big 10-average run-blocking O-line.  And you have to understand that no RB gets 100 every game.  But if he gets drafted by a team with a good O-line, I fully expect him to perform comparably in the NFL to Ezekiel Elliott, without all the off-the-field issues.

2 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Barkley is very athletic, but his performance on the field doesn't match what he is doing at the combine. For me that is a red flag.

This is laughable.  You're talking as if no one had ever heard of Barkley--or everyone thought he was a bum--before the combine.  He was already the #1 RB based primarily on his on-field performance.

20 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Unless he retests at his pro day and recovers.

19 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

That would be surprising with a "good showing." 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpEqdsiVGk-AWMrC4Px1R

Sorry.  I wasn’t clear.

As @Mean Green 93-98 said, his draft stock is already low.  If he were to run a 40 & all the other drills, and DIDNT do well because of whatever the docs wound up holding him out for, his chances would evaporate.  Orlando Brown’s stock just fell hard because of poor combine stats, but most agree he can block just about anyone.

Instead, Jeff should be ready for those tests at his pro-day 4 weeks later.  

Not worried about his bench reps.   Middle of the pack is OK..

• Upvote 1