Sun Belt Conference

wardly

The SBC just sighed a 10 year extension with ESPN thru 2027/2028. You can google the specifics,but at first blush it appears the SBC is enhancing their exposure. Monetary consideration were not revealed.Since the existing CUSA contract is scheduled to expire this June, we might expect something similar. ESPN currently pays the AAC $2 million,MWC $1.7 million,MAC $670,000, CUSA $200,000, and the SBC $100,000 per school for television rights. I would not expect a major cash infusion, as ESPN is downsizing as it continues to lose viewers. The main difference between CUSA and the SBC's approach to the television market is that CUSA has multiple outlets, while the SBC has ESPN has its sole source.Whether or not the outcome of CUSA negotiations moves these conferences closer to consolidation is a matter of speculation.

Edited by wardly
left sonething our

Weekday games starting at 6? No thanks!

If we increase attendance by 1,500 per game at 10 bucks a pop that's $90,000.

Do everything to have as many butts in seats as possible. If that means early season night games and late season day games do it. If week one we are told to play at 5pm in 100 degree heat that hurts butts in seats. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, forevereagle said:

If they have to play on Tuesday and Thursday nights, it is not worth it. 

Unfortunately, many of the G5 commissioners seem to think otherwise...those MAC games or SBC games on Tuesdays are just embarrassing when they pan the field and show thousands of empty seats.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Unfortunately, many of the G5 commissioners seem to think otherwise...those MAC games or SBC games on Tuesdays are just embarrassing when they pan the field and show thousands of empty seats.

Our last 2 weekday games at apogee had decent attendance. Per espn, in the 17000s against ULL in 2012 on a Tuesday. In the 22000s against Rice on Halloween on a Thursday in 2013. I was at both games and attendance iseemed good in both.

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2018 at 9:48 AM, wardly said:

The SBC just sighed a 10 year extension with ESPN thru 2027/2028. You can google the specifics,but at first blush it appears the SBC is enhancing their exposure. Monetary consideration were not revealed.Since the existing CUSA contract is scheduled to expire this June, we might expect something similar. ESPN currently pays the AAC $2 million,MWC $1.7 million,MAC $670,000, CUSA $200,000, and the SBC $100,000 per school for television rights. I would not expect a major cash infusion, as ESPN is downsizing as it continues to lose viewers. The main difference between CUSA and the SBC's approach to the television market is that CUSA has multiple outlets, while the SBC has ESPN has its sole source.Whether or not the outcome of CUSA negotiations moves these conferences closer to consolidation is a matter of speculation.

I'll be honest, most of the stadium streams have been really good for me, if not that then CUSA.  Now that I've got an Apple TV, I can use my iPad to airplay all of those with 0 issue.  Unless ESPN ups their anti and pays out better than we're getting now I'd give them a big fat middle finger and tell them to kick rocks. 

24 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I'll be honest, most of the stadium streams have been really good for me, if not that then CUSA.  Now that I've got an Apple TV, I can use my iPad to airplay all of those with 0 issue.  Unless ESPN ups their anti and pays out better than we're getting now I'd give them a big fat middle finger and tell them to kick rocks. 

That’s good for you but my online game experience recently has been pretty horrid.  The best experience I have had was that stadium stream on Facebook for the La Tech game.

10 national telecasts on ESPN family, one guaranteed to be Saturday.

So 9 out of 41 games on weeknights.

The merit really turns on ESPN+ and how it turns out. $4.99 a month and only known content at this point is the Sun Belt and MLS out-of-market games. ESPN says there will be NHL and MLB content which could be the content from MLB.tv and NHL Gamecenter or something less.

For me, it's a win because $60 a year beats the $75 I was spending on MLS Live but will depend on other content for others.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I may have misread/misunderstood when I was reading the article from ESPN, but it sounded like you paid 4.99 for ESPN to view the games and then all the games have to be broadcast via ESPN...

While I would think ESPN would be a better quality than CUSA.TV, but isn't it still on the schools to improve? Wouldn't it also mean, CUSA would have to leave/break away from beIN, Stadium, etc that are also broadcasting games?

I would personally would like to see CUSA and AAC join together and do their own combo network since the 2 conferences overlap in terms of territory it seems. It would improve the apperence of CUSA because they are partnering with AAC, and allows for AAC to have a partner in footing some of the costs. I would even include beIN and Stadium as well since they have some of the infrastructure already built, and markets captured that could/would appeal and compete with someone like ESPN. 

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I may have misread/misunderstood when I was reading the article from ESPN, but it sounded like you paid 4.99 for ESPN to view the games and then all the games have to be broadcast via ESPN...

While I would think ESPN would be a better quality than CUSA.TV, but isn't it still on the schools to improve? Wouldn't it also mean, CUSA would have to leave/break away from beIN, Stadium, etc that are also broadcasting games?

I would personally would like to see CUSA and AAC join together and do their own combo network since the 2 conferences overlap in terms of territory it seems. It would improve the apperence of CUSA because they are partnering with AAC, and allows for AAC to have a partner in footing some of the costs. I would even include beIN and Stadium as well since they have some of the infrastructure already built, and markets captured that could/would appeal and compete with someone like ESPN. 

ESPN+ is new service that's supposed to roll out some time between right now and the next 8 weeks or so.

$4.99 a month for mostly undetermined content. We know all Major League Soccer out-of-market games (ie. games not on ESPN or FS1 involving everyone in the league except Dallas FC and maybe Houston). There will be some NHL and MLB but no details exactly what yet. That might be select out-of-market or may be all out-of-market that aren't on national TV. Supposedly some really niche sports like rugby and cricket. Also the entire ESPN films library. ESPN3 is expected to either go away or be significantly diminished.

16 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

ESPN+ is new service that's supposed to roll out some time between right now and the next 8 weeks or so.

$4.99 a month for mostly undetermined content. We know all Major League Soccer out-of-market games (ie. games not on ESPN or FS1 involving everyone in the league except Dallas FC and maybe Houston). There will be some NHL and MLB but no details exactly what yet. That might be select out-of-market or may be all out-of-market that aren't on national TV. Supposedly some really niche sports like rugby and cricket. Also the entire ESPN films library. ESPN3 is expected to either go away or be significantly diminished.

FC Dallas

• Haha 1

I think this new SBC deal is being oversold. Not made at them, I'd do the same. They have a bunch of streamed games now so it's unclear how many more will be broadcast. Financially they may get more money but if they are having to pay the production costs for those games. In other words a true ESPN tv game, ESPN pays the cameras, directors, TV talent, etc. The costs of a non-linear production (streaming) is usually not paid by ESPN. So it's unclear even if the schools are getting more dollars, how much of that money will go right back out as a production expense. 

17 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

I think this new SBC deal is being oversold. Not made at them, I'd do the same. They have a bunch of streamed games now so it's unclear how many more will be broadcast. Financially they may get more money but if they are having to pay the production costs for those games. In other words a true ESPN tv game, ESPN pays the cameras, directors, TV talent, etc. The costs of a non-linear production (streaming) is usually not paid by ESPN. So it's unclear even if the schools are getting more dollars, how much of that money will go right back out as a production expense. 

I talked to AState's AD and he says the AD's still don't know how much is going to ESPN3 vs ESPN+ or what sort of content is going to be on ESPN+ to help drive subscribers.

Counting the conference title game, there are 41 conference games, 10 will be some flavor of ESPN but only the title game is locked to a Saturday. That's compared to last year when there were 48 conference games and 7 were locked to ESPN family.

In hoops, if you are an AState game you got the home games on 3 along with road games at App, GaSt and Troy. So shifting those from 3 to + is not so swell. Under this deal it phases to all home games in hoops being on the ESPN family or + so if you are ULM fan you go from getting road games at AState, App, GaSt, Troy and sometimes ULL on 3 to everything on + so it's a clear win. The AState, App etc fans don't get that big of a win because we are already producing those games.

If you already have ESPN standards compliant production then any money to help with production costs is found money. If you are ULM or Georgia Southern not producing at that standard then it's just a reimbursement for a new expense.

It's basically three more linear telecasts and CUSA TV at 50% of the cost with minimum production values established until such time ESPN shows that ESPN+ is a value product.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

I talked to AState's AD and he says the AD's still don't know how much is going to ESPN3 vs ESPN+ or what sort of content is going to be on ESPN+ to help drive subscribers.

Counting the conference title game, there are 41 conference games, 10 will be some flavor of ESPN but only the title game is locked to a Saturday. That's compared to last year when there were 48 conference games and 7 were locked to ESPN family.

In hoops, if you are an AState game you got the home games on 3 along with road games at App, GaSt and Troy. So shifting those from 3 to + is not so swell. Under this deal it phases to all home games in hoops being on the ESPN family or + so if you are ULM fan you go from getting road games at AState, App, GaSt, Troy and sometimes ULL on 3 to everything on + so it's a clear win. The AState, App etc fans don't get that big of a win because we are already producing those games.

If you already have ESPN standards compliant production then any money to help with production costs is found money. If you are ULM or Georgia Southern not producing at that standard then it's just a reimbursement for a new expense.

It's basically three more linear telecasts and CUSA TV at 50% of the cost with minimum production values established until such time ESPN shows that ESPN+ is a value product.

Makes sense. Shuffles some costs (or potential revenue) to the fans which is fair. At least they can use the ESPN platforms to view. One thing I hate (or HATE) is that CUSA.tv isn't on roku, apple tv, etc. You have to mirror from a laptop, cellphone or ipad to watch on your tv. Drives me crazy.

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

Makes sense. Shuffles some costs (or potential revenue) to the fans which is fair. At least they can use the ESPN platforms to view. One thing I hate (or HATE) is that CUSA.tv isn't on roku, apple tv, etc. You have to mirror from a laptop, cellphone or ipad to watch on your tv. Drives me crazy.

I've never tried to stream to mirror to roku, apple tv is easy but hate tying up a device. I bought a TV with with roku as the operating system for the smart tv functions and that is the way to go.

• Lovely Take 1