Looks Like Alumni Pavilion Is Getting An Expansion

dmaxel

13 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Back around 2013ish, the Alumni Association was using the Pavilion for events other than game days.  Does that still go on? 

The Denton Chapter used it for events a couple of times...like our Oktoberfest Beer Tasting thing, and there have been some efforts to utilize it at other times. Plus it is used each year to watch the homecoming bonfire lighting (but that is pretty close to a football game).  With the expansion, I am thinking there will be significantly more opportunities. The issue in the past has been manpower to open it, run it and clean up after events. Not sure where the "manpower" thing stands at this time.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

The Denton Chapter used it for events a couple of times...like our Oktoberfest Beer Tasting thing, and there have been some efforts to utilize it at other times. Plus it is used each year to watch the homecoming bonfire lighting (but that is pretty close to a football game).  With the expansion, I am thinking there will be significantly more opportunities. The issue in the past has been manpower to open it, run it and clean up after events. Not sure where the "manpower" thing stands at this time.

I can't quite remember if the Oktoberfest and the Ohio game were one or two events, but I enjoyed it.  I appreciated having a place to go like that for road games. 

Some feedback on Alumni Association memberships:

The lifetime membership was $400 and I didn't have it.  

Then the lifetime membership was $500, which I totally understood, and I still didn't have it.  

So I was strongly considering it this year, I got my solicitation letter, and the lifetime membership had jumped up to $700 or $750 while the annual membership remained at $40.  

If I NPV the outbound cashflows, the lifetime membership no longer makes sense for me. 

I know that we're supposed to look at this thing beyond a mere financial transaction, but so I am where I am in my life, and I put a value on all outbound cash transactions. 

Edited by oldguystudent

1 hour ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

Need their beer on taps. And more TV's.  Needs to be like a Twin Peaks sportbar layout.

I agree with beer on tap, more TV's and the sports bar layout.  While I enjoy the Twin Peaks type "experience," I don't think that is what we need at the alumni pavilion.  Let's make sure everyone feels welcome and comfortable.  Love the idea that this will be expanding.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I can't quite remember if the Oktoberfest and the Ohio game were one or two events, but I enjoyed it.  I appreciated having a place to go like that for road games. 

Some feedback on Alumni Association memberships:

The lifetime membership was $400 and I didn't have it.  

Then the lifetime membership was $500, which I totally understood, and I still didn't have it.  

So I was strongly considering it this year, I got my solicitation letter, and the lifetime membership had jumped up to $700 or $750 while the annual membership remained at $40.  

If I NPV the outbound cashflows, the lifetime membership no longer makes sense for me. 

I know that we're supposed to look at this thing beyond a mere financial transaction, but so I am where I am in my life, and I put a value on all outbound cash transactions. 

17.5 Years looks to be your breakeven at the new pricing...and who is to say that the annual will remain at $40/year over that 17.5 years?  I would wager that you will live at least 20+ more years.  Still a win if you think you will live at least 18 more years.  Now, this just from a cost basis of course.  :-)

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

18 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

17.5 Years looks to be your breakeven at the new pricing...and who is to say that the annual will remain at $40/year over that 17.5 years?  I would wager that you will live at least 20+ more years.  Still a win if you think you will live at least 18 more years.  Now, this just from a cost basis of course.  :-)

Wow, I can't believe it went up over $500. Now I feel like I got a good deal. I figured that I've already invested $200 in annual fees, I might as well pony up the $500. Glad I did. I would have felt the exact same way as Old Guy Student, had I not.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grant.UNT said:

Wow, I can't believe it went up over $500. Now I feel like I got a good deal. I figured that I've already invested $200 in annual fees, I might as well pony up the $500. Glad I did. I would have felt the exact same way as Old Guy Student, had I not.

Sort of surprised it did not go to $1000 for a lifetime membership.  At $700 still a pretty darn good deal for most folks. Appreciate your converting to a Lifetime membership! Good on you!

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

20 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Sort of surprised it did not go to $1000 for a lifetime membership.  At $700 still a pretty darn good deal for most folks. Appreciate your converting to a Lifetime membership! Good on you!

Can someone help me out with a link on how to join this?  Graduation is coming up and I want to be ready to sign up!

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah.  I was going to say the same.   $85k to build a wall, set some posts and put up some shade sails?

I read excavation around the pavilion and improving drainage. Based on this, it sounds like it floods in heavy rains, so they are going to move some dirt around it so that doesn't happen anymore. 

• Upvote 1