DRC: Jeffery Wilson headed to NFL Scouting Combine this week

Brett Vito

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Unless Wilson runs a 4.4 or better he doesn't have a chance playing at the next level.  If only he had been at Texas Tech for example he would be a shoo in if he runs 4.6.  

Does that really makes sense to you?  

Never said he didn’t have a chance.. what I have said is that if he runs a 4.6 at 215 lbs that will not be something that makes teams go back and review his tape if they haven’t watched him. 

Playing at UNT in CUSA, we are lucky to have 1 or 2 NFL scouts at a normal game.. Which does not allow for Wilson to have many people see him. His injury history as well is a huge Red Flag (because of the knee injuries and shoulder problems as well) because he hasn’t been able to handle the full load. 

• Downvote 2

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Never said he didn’t have a chance.. what I have said is that if he runs a 4.6 at 215 lbs that will not be something that makes teams go back and review his tape if they haven’t watched him. 

Playing at UNT in CUSA, we are lucky to have 1 or 2 NFL scouts at a normal game.. Which does not allow for Wilson to have many people see him. His injury history as well is a huge Red Flag (because of the knee injuries and shoulder problems as well) because he hasn’t been able to handle the full load. 

As much of a red flag as that is, the major issue scouts will have with him were his fumbles.

Whoever gets Jeff will get a baller though.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Tied for 16 out of 32 so actually exactly average.

Looks like only 29 RBs bench pressed for a total of 500 reps.

500/29= 17.2 reps...15 reps = below average

He tied for 15th with 5 other guys so even his place is technically below average. 

Just to be clear, I'm rooting like heck for Jeff. Just pointing out he didn't exactly have a good day. Especially, when you consider he's not a speed back.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Looks like only 29 RBs bench pressed for a total of 500 reps.

500/29= 17.2 reps...15 reps = below average

He tied for 15th with 5 other guys so even his place is technically below average. 

Just to be clear, I'm rooting like heck for Jeff. Just pointing out he didn't exactly have a good day. Especially, when you consider he's not a speed back.  

Wilson did more than the OU 1st round projected Tackle Orlando Brown.

The bench press isn’t an huge for thing for RB, but it’s encouraging to see Jeff in the middle of the class. 

Also, I’m going to guess that the NFL also includes Fullbacks into the RB group and that is there 1 or 2 FBs (i would assume) so it should improve Wilson’s average as well.

51 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Doctors advised Jeff wait until his Pro-Day to do the drills, so it looks like he is done for now other than meeting with teams/media. 

This might be a blessing in disguise. It would be great to see a lot of NFL scouts at Apogee. Maybe they can get a look at some other players. Where will his pro day be held? 

19 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

This might be a blessing in disguise. It would be great to see a lot of NFL scouts at Apogee. Maybe they can get a look at some other players. Where will his pro day be held? 

Apogee.   And yeah, they'll be looking at McClain, Jenkins, Moore, Smiley, etc...   All the Seniors will work out for them if they want to pursue a pro career.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

It maybe but it was a big chance for him to put on a show for all 32 teams and not a limited # of teams that will be likely at the UNT pro-day. A lot of pressure on these to impress in their 1 and potentially only chance in front of scouts.

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Doctors advised Jeff wait until his Pro-Day to do the drills, so it looks like he is done for now other than meeting with teams/media. 

Big blow to him potentially. Was a chance to have all 32 teams scouts, GMs see him and turn some heads. But let’s hope this was the plan all along for him to go and get a good/improving medical review. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As much of a red flag as that is, the major issue scouts will have with him were his fumbles.

Whoever gets Jeff will get a baller though.

Very turn, but I think a couple should have been overturned. Also, while fumbling hurts his stock, it’s something that can be corrected.. a knee or shoulder that’s banged up on an RB isn’t good. 

Not sure why people say Jeff isn't a speed back.  I don't recall ever seeing him get walked down, plus, most successful backs are more than just pure speed.  To me, his pluses far outweigh his minuses.

Pluses: Speed, vision, cutting ability, yards after contact, blocking/blitz pick-up and awareness, pass catching, speed.

Minuses: Injury history and holding on to the ball.

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It maybe but it was a big chance for him to put on a show for all 32 teams and not a limited # of teams that will be likely at the UNT pro-day. A lot of pressure on these to impress in their 1 and potentially only chance in front of scouts.

Big blow to him potentially. Was a chance to have all 32 teams scouts, GMs see him and turn some heads. But let’s hope this was the plan all along for him to go and get a good/improving medical review. 

I just posted almost the exact same thing in one of the other threads about this.