DRC: Monday practice notes, observations

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Oh yes, indeed. But Tech football over their history, short and long term, have been the epitome of inconsistent. I know I'm throwing rocks from a glass house, but I just wanted to reinforce their mediocrity. 

I think they're trying to draw the line between Littrell & Leach.   

If "Tech2.0" = Littrell is at NT for 9 years and 5 of those years we finish in the top 25, where can I sign up?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not sure what you're trying to infer here...

Texas Tech has ended the season ranked in the top 25 seven times in the last 30 years. 

Since the beginning of Tech football (1925) they have finished the season ranked 12 times total. They are currently at about being ranked 1 time out of every 10 years. If 10% is consistency, then I will step aside and agree. 

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Oh yes, indeed. But Tech football over their history, short and long term, have been the epitome of inconsistent. I know I'm throwing rocks from a glass house, but I just wanted to reinforce their mediocrity. 

The point was clearly being made about Leach-era Tech.  During the Spike Dykes era (as well as others), they were about as ground-and-pound a team as you'd find.

22 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

So it is a brace. That's concerning. Also, are we really that surprised that the defense is getting burned on deep shots?

We're quickly turning into Tech 2.0

Hope y'all are ready for more shootouts!

This is the original quote.  I must have missed the Leach reference.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The point was clearly being made about Leach-era Tech.  During the Spike Dykes era (as well as others), they were about as ground-and-pound a team as you'd find.

It was actually more of a reference to Coach Bro era Tech. Leach actually had halfway decent defenses. I'm talking UAB/Army type scores every single game where the last team with the ball wins with a final score of 57-54 or something absurd like that.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This is the original quote.  I must have missed the Leach reference.

Insinuating shootouts where the offense has to score more than the defense allows.   This was always the knock on Leach's Air Raid system.

EDIT:   And, as MGNation92 mentions above, continued under coach Bro's tenure.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Insinuating shootouts where the offense has to score more than the defense allows.   This was always the knock on Leach's Air Raid system.

EDIT:   And, as MGNation92 mentions above, continued under coach Bro's tenure.

I agree and not consistently ranked.

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

It was actually more of a reference to Coach Bro era Tech. Leach actually had halfway decent defenses. I'm talking UAB/Army type scores every single game where the last team with the ball wins with a final score of 57-54 or something absurd like that.

Well, okay.  If that's what you meant, that's what you meant.  Lifer and I both misunderstood you.  But no, Leach didn't have much defense at all; that was always the knock on him.  They depended on their high octane offense to outscore opponents.  That great year they had where they beat UT and won the Big XII, they gave up 65 to OU.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

11 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah, they were a joke all last season. I was laughing over and over watching our secondary, many of times, get burnt in very said routes. What was the stat? 28 plays of 40 yards or more. Whew. 

You sound like such a great fan, don't travel to NOLA, bc of short turnaround, then I point out two kids who I believe have all conference ability, and you say well I laugh at them.  Bc our DL and LB were so bad last year we had to put the corners on a complete island all by theirselves to get double moved to death,  YAH that's so easy to cover. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Well, okay.  If that's what you meant, that's what you meant.  Lifer and I both misunderstood you.  But no, Leach didn't have much defense at all; that was always the knock on him.  They depended on their high octane offense to outscore opponents.  That great year they had where they beat UT and won the Big XII, they gave up 65 to OU.

Leach had bad defenses, but I can guarantee you his weren't as bad at Tech as Coach Bro or Littrell at UNT(So far)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

You sound like such a great fan, don't travel to NOLA, bc of short turnaround, then I point out two kids who I believe have all conference ability, and you say well I laugh at them.  Bc our DL and LB were so bad last year we had to put the corners on a complete island all by theirselves to get double moved to death,  YAH that's so easy to cover. 

Easy to cover? I thought go routes were a joke? And I'm not pointing out any one induvudial. The entire 11 out there, regardless of the 11, were horrible far and away most of the year. And it's not laugh "at" them, it's nervously grind my teeth while I anxiously laugh to keep my composure. 

And the value wasn't there for me to go. Just like how you had buyers remorse on your 8 hour drive home? I didn't. I knew the outcome of the game before toe hit leather and wasn't dropping a couple racks and 16 hour roadtrip to witness it first hand. I saw plenty of the ass whipping on the tv. 

• Downvote 3

23 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Sure why not. I'll take that bet. One that I would prefer losing.

23 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Friendly wager on that?   

My not-so-bold prediction says he does... this year.   Starting 9/1.  He'll start the year 2nd string behind Tauaalo.

Any way I can jump in on this action? Im with @MeanGreenTexan, English plays this year and often. I'll bet you a sixer

12 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Easy to cover? I thought go routes were a joke? And I'm not pointing out any one induvudial. The entire 11 out there, regardless of the 11, were horrible far and away most of the year. And it's not laugh "at" them, it's nervously grind my teeth while I anxiously laugh to keep my composure. 

And the value wasn't there for me to go. Just like how you had buyers remorse on your 8 hour drive home? I didn't. I knew the outcome of the game before toe hit leather and wasn't dropping a couple racks and 16 hour roadtrip to witness it first hand. I saw plenty of the ass whipping on the tv. 

Did not have buyer's remorse, had a nice weekend get-away in a city the wife and I had never been to.  Had a lot of fun, aside from the 2nd half of football.  

When you are on an island like our corners were most of last year, and you are having to drive on short/intermediate routes and tackle the WR, then are successful doing that eventually you're going to get burned on a double move if you aren't perfect in your technique.  Should it happen? No.  But it is going to happen from time to time.  

• Upvote 1