DRC: Monday practice notes, observations

Brett Vito

43 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Is Wyche a Jr. or Sr.?  The official roster lists him as a RS Jr.

He arrived with 3 to play 3 and burned up 1 year of eligibility his first season here (2016).  He was injured early on last year and appears to have red-shirted, so he should be a RS JR with 2 years of eligibility remaining.

13 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Guys, one on one routes are a joke.  QB has all day to throw with no OL getting pressured into him.  Not saying they don't time them, but it's ridiculous. Also.  Mark this down, Cam Johnson and Nate Brooks both end up all conference corners.  They've both got ability out of this world.  Here's to hoping ole Nate can get them right. 

Yeah, they were a joke all last season. I was laughing over and over watching our secondary, many of times, get burnt in very said routes. What was the stat? 28 plays of 40 yards or more. Whew. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Guys, one on one routes are a joke.  QB has all day to throw with no OL getting pressured into him.  Not saying they don't time them, but it's ridiculous. Also.  Mark this down, Cam Johnson and Nate Brooks both end up all conference corners.  They've both got ability out of this world.  Here's to hoping ole Nate can get them right. 

If they're all conference corners we're winning 10+ games.

If they're not, we'll win 8 with a lot of luck.

8 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

If they're all conference corners we're winning 10+ games.

If they're not, we'll win 8 with a lot of luck.

Kemon Hall is the best CB we have right now.    Well, maybe not the BEST, but the most-consistent.   
So in order for BOTH Brooks & Johnson to be All-conference CBs, at least one of them will need to unseat Hall.

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Kemon Hall is the best CB we have right now.    Well, maybe not the BEST, but the most-consistent.   
So in order for BOTH Brooks & Johnson to be All-conference CBs, at least one of them will need to unseat Hall.

Absolutely agree. I think Hall/Brooks will be the starters with Johnson spelling Nate when he inevitably gets burned three plays in a row by the same double move

22 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

No English?

I know your question is sincere, so please don’t take offense, but can I just want to point out that Bryce English get more mentions in posts than any player other than Chief and yet he has never played a down of football for this program.

Just now, Harry said:

I know your question is sincere, so please don’t take offense, but can I just want to point out that Bryce English get more mentions in posts than any player other than Chief and yet he has never played a down of football for this program.

Well, yeah! Have you seen our DL lately?

I read a post yesterday about the potential of our defensive backfield becoming all-CUSA level players.  DOes it matter if we don't figure out how to win at the LOS?

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Not so bold prediction:

Bryce English never plays a meaningful down for North Texas.

At this point anything past that is a pleasant surprise.

Friendly wager on that?   

My not-so-bold prediction says he does... this year.   Starting 9/1.  He'll start the year 2nd string behind Tauaalo.

• Lovely Take 1

44 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Well, yeah! Have you seen our DL lately?

I read a post yesterday about the potential of our defensive backfield becoming all-CUSA level players.  DOes it matter if we don't figure out how to win at the LOS?

LBs is the most glaring need. We send LBs like sidewinders at the QB often. If we can't make the QB uncomfortable, or hit the right gap and stop a runningback, then all-conference DBs and a D-Line don't matter.

16 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If that means being consistently ranked in the top 25, I'll take it.

Not sure what you're trying to infer here...

Texas Tech has ended the season ranked in the top 25 seven times in the last 30 years. 

Since the beginning of Tech football (1925) they have finished the season ranked 12 times total. They are currently at about being ranked 1 time out of every 10 years. If 10% is consistency, then I will step aside and agree. 

12 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not sure what you're trying to infer here...

Texas Tech has ended the season ranked in the top 25 seven times in the last 30 years. 

Since the beginning of Tech football (1925) they have finished the season ranked 12 times total. They are currently at about being ranked 1 time out of every 10 years. If 10% is consistency, then I will step aside and agree. 

5 of those were in Leach's 9 years there.   So yeah.   5 years out of 9 being ranked in the top 25 would be splendid.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

5 of those were in Leach's 9 years there.   So yeah.   5 years out of 9 being ranked in the top 25 would be splendid.

Oh yes, indeed. But Tech football over their history, short and long term, have been the epitome of inconsistent. I know I'm throwing rocks from a glass house, but I just wanted to reinforce their mediocrity.