Things Appear More Than Fine Heading Into Year Three For Junior QB

MGNation92

5 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Hypothetical scenario. Mason Fine exceeds his 2017 numbers in 2018, and UNT football wins the West again, and possibly the CUSA Championship and a Bowl game.  The he does it again his senior year, is it possible for Mason to be considered for the Heisman Trophy?

Probably not the Heisman since he's a G5 QB, but possibly the Davey O'Brien!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Hypothetical scenario. Mason Fine exceeds his 2017 numbers in 2018, and UNT football wins the West again, and possibly the CUSA Championship and a Bowl game.  The he does it again his senior year, is it possible for Mason to be considered for the Heisman Trophy?

Maybe if he has  2007 Graham Harrell-esque stats:

5700 Yards passing, 48 TDs, 14 INTs

AND leads UNT to the CFP.

Otherwise no.

Edited by MGNation92

1 minute ago, DeepGreen said:

So a QB has to play for a P5 team to have a shot at the Heisman?  I mean, is that a fact?

Looking at the list of Heisman trophy winners, the last non-P5 was Ty Detmer of BYU in 1990, if you consider BYU G5. 

Prior to that, you have to go back to 1958 for Pete Dawkins of Army, if you consider 1950s Army to be non-P5. 

Finally, we can go back to 1951 for Dick Kazmaier of Princeton.  That was post 1945 when the Ivy League stopped giving athletic scholarships, so I'm going with the last true non-P5 Heisman being some 66 years ago. 

21 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Looking at the list of Heisman trophy winners, the last non-P5 was Ty Detmer of BYU in 1990, if you consider BYU G5. 

Prior to that, you have to go back to 1958 for Pete Dawkins of Army, if you consider 1950s Army to be non-P5. 

Finally, we can go back to 1951 for Dick Kazmaier of Princeton.  That was post 1945 when the Ivy League stopped giving athletic scholarships, so I'm going with the last true non-P5 Heisman being some 66 years ago. 

To take this a little further...

Case Keenum.   

Three 5k-yd years with a Senior year of 5631yds/48TDs/5INTs, leading Houston to a 13-1 record and a final ranking of 18.

The Heisman winner that year?  RG-III  @ 4293yds/37TDs/6INTs.   Keenum, with his video game numbers, finished 6th in Heisman voting.

@DeepGreen, you've received wise counsel.  Draw your conclusions accordingly.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

To take this a little further...

Case Keenum.   

Three 5k-yd years with a Senior year of 5631yds/48TDs/5INTs, leading Houston to a 13-1 record and a final ranking of 18.

The Heisman winner that year?  RG-III  @ 4293yds/37TDs/6INTs.   Keenum, with his video game numbers, finished 6th in Heisman voting.

@DeepGreen, you've received wise counsel.  Draw your conclusions accordingly.

Andre Ware  from the University of Houston won it in 1989!!!  So you say there is a chance?????

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Andre Ware  from the University of Houston won it in 1989!!!  So you say there is a chance?????

Back when Houston was in the SWC.  So not really germane to the discussion.

Back to the article, it is an outstanding look at our diminutive superstar.  I particularly liked this quote from Graham:

“Before I got here, I probably would have believed that [a quarterback can be too small] until I saw Mason play,” Harrell said. “You can’t measure intangibles, a kid’s heart, smarts, or his leadership, so with Mason he’s probably changed the way I view quarterbacks. Making guys around you better is the most important job of a quarterback. You don’t have to be 6-foot-4 to make everyone better, and that’s what Mason does.” 

• Upvote 1