ODU looking to bail C-USA?

Coach Bill Lewis

23 minutes ago, GTWT said:

What program at the cUSA level doesn't aspire to bigger & better things?  I sure as hell hope UNT does especially when I hear suggestions of merging our current league with the Belt,

As long as the discussions are related to delusional obscure sports writer, I'm ok with the merger rumor.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I drove past the new McKinney ISD stadium yesterday. It's not, but at freeway speeds, it looks as big and as nice as Apogee. 

Disagree.  I drive by it yesterday as well.  From a distance, it looks like a nice high school stadium.  

Apogee looks like college football. TBH, the wing is one of the great tings about our stadium that sets it apart from others in the area. 

GMG!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MrStrange18 said:

Disagree.  I drive by it yesterday as well.  From a distance, it looks like a nice high school stadium.  

Apogee looks like college football. TBH, the wing is one of the great tings about our stadium that sets it apart from others in the area. 

GMG!

Like I said, I was unaware it even existed, so I just caught it out of the corner of my eye.  I thought maybe I was in Allen or something. 

• Upvote 1

I mean, the writer's ideas are not actually good for any of the schools involved, but I don't hate the idea. If ODU takes Charlotte with em, C-USA actually improves in terms of its conference Identity (it becomes much much more of a southern conference), and 12 teams really probably is better than 14. Lack of identity to me is the one thing C-USA is really suffering from more than any other conference, and there really could be addition by subtraction.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, outoftown said:

I mean, the writer's ideas are not actually good for any of the schools involved, but I don't hate the idea. If ODU takes Charlotte with em, C-USA actually improves in terms of its conference Identity (it becomes much much more of a southern conference), and 12 teams really probably is better than 14. Lack of identity to me is the one thing C-USA is really suffering from more than any other conference, and there really could be addition by subtraction.

I agree.  Both ODU and Charlotte transitioned to FBS fairly recently.  Except for ODU basketball ball, "I don't give a damn if both programs leave CUSA".

Did y'all not read the article? He just wants to realign to something local. What I got is that for ODU, the better schools around them boosts their own position, I guess, and travel is better.

I mean, yeah, it's kind of small time thinking, but whatever. Article's just talking about what would be best for ODU, which is to go regional. Nothing scandalous.

One thing we can agree on is that CUSA could do better with deals.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the writer has latched on to a smart idea.

George Bluth always said, "There's always money in the banana stand". The banana stand for the G5's is basketball. No matter what you are always guaranteed a spot in the NCAA Tournament. Get your act together, you can get at-large. Once you are in it is your team vs. their team and the winner grabs an extra unit from the NCAA. One unit is $266,000 and it pays off for six years.

Build good basketball teams and you are selling tickets to 15 or more games at home.

Remember the best television deal outside the Power 5 belongs to the Big East and that TV deal includes zero football games.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

I think the writer has latched on to a smart idea.

George Bluth always said, "There's always money in the banana stand". The banana stand for the G5's is basketball. No matter what you are always guaranteed a spot in the NCAA Tournament. Get your act together, you can get at-large. Once you are in it is your team vs. their team and the winner grabs an extra unit from the NCAA. One unit is $266,000 and it pays off for six years.

Build good basketball teams and you are selling tickets to 15 or more games at home.

Remember the best television deal outside the Power 5 belongs to the Big East and that TV deal includes zero football games.

This.

The Big East is a Power Conference in hoops. And the AAC isn't too far behind it. These last conferences get by ok because their basketball is very good. Of course, it helps that they have big TV markets in the East and Midwest, too. 

If I were the SBCUSA, I'd immediately realign regionally for all sports. It's look like this:

NMSU, UTEP, UTSA, TX State, UNT, Rice, La Tech, ULL, Arkansas State, USM, UAB and Troy.

ODU, Marshall, WKU, MUTS, Charlotte, Appy State, Coastal Carolina, Ga State, Ga Southern, FIU, FAU and USA.

Then, I would add in some non-football schools--UTA and UALR to the Western League, Murray State and Belmont to the Eastern League.

And, yes, I'm kicking out ULM to join the SLC...

In the league above for UNT, talk about cutting costs--in basketball, you get a western combo with UTEP and NMSU, a southern combo with UTSA and TX State, a DFW combo with UNT and UTA, a northeastern combo of Ark State and UALR, and southeastern combos of Rice and ULL, as well as UAB and Troy,. Set it up like the Pac 12 does, where you play Thursday and Saturday against a combo team that is connected.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

This.

The Big East is a Power Conference in hoops. And the AAC isn't too far behind it. These last conferences get by ok because their basketball is very good. Of course, it helps that they have big TV markets in the East and Midwest, too. 

If I were the SBCUSA, I'd immediately realign regionally for all sports. It's look like this:

NMSU, UTEP, UTSA, TX State, UNT, Rice, La Tech, ULL, Arkansas State, USM, UAB and Troy.

ODU, Marshall, WKU, MUTS, Charlotte, Appy State, Coastal Carolina, Ga State, Ga Southern, FIU, FAU and USA.

Then, I would add in some non-football schools--UTA and UALR to the Western League, Murray State and Belmont to the Eastern League.

And, yes, I'm kicking out ULM to join the SLC...

In the league above for UNT, talk about cutting costs--in basketball, you get a western combo with UTEP and NMSU, a southern combo with UTSA and TX State, a DFW combo with UNT and UTA, a northeastern combo of Ark State and UALR, and southeastern combos of Rice and ULL, as well as UAB and Troy,. Set it up like the Pac 12 does, where you play Thursday and Saturday against a combo team that is connected.

I would be incredibly dejected if this ever happened.   All of the recent improvements... spankin-new stadium, IPF, Million-dollar coach, finally getting serious, and we just sit back and let that happen?

I highly doubt Wren Baker would allow that to happen either.   I really hope he's gunning for a spot in the AAC after the Big12 implodes and SMU winds up jumping with those schools to form a new conference... or possibly joining THAT conference.

...Not to mention, Rice would likely drop every single sport rather than be associated in any way with Troy's academics (and likely several of the others you have listed in that division).

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2

I would be shocked if any kind of alignment with CUSA/SBC occurred. For the same reasons many fans get chapped when we play them in bowl games. Most CUSA schools were SBC and have no interest in aligning with a conference they see as inferior. The numbers (budget, football rankings, RPIs in bball, etc.) say there isn't much difference but there is in fan perception. You imaging LaTech willingly aligning with Monroe or Lafayette. Or Southern Miss aligning with South Alabama? Not happening. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

I would be shocked if any kind of alignment with CUSA/SBC occurred. For the same reasons many fans get chapped when we play them in bowl games. Most CUSA schools were SBC and have no interest in aligning with a conference they see as inferior. The numbers (budget, football rankings, RPIs in bball, etc.) say there isn't much difference but there is in fan perception. You imaging LaTech willingly aligning with Monroe or Lafayette. Or Southern Miss aligning with South Alabama? Not happening. 

I agree with what you're saying. But in every metric and every power poll, there is an entire conference that separates us and the Belt. To add, the conference as a whole did very well in recruiting only being behind AAC. I think the gap is starting to widen, in football that is. In basketball, an argument could be made that we are equals and given the year one conference may be better than the other. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would be incredibly dejected if this ever happened.   All of the recent improvements... spankin-new stadium, IPF, Million-dollar coach, finally getting serious, and we just sit back and let that happen?

I highly doubt Wren Baker would allow that to happen either.   I really hope he's gunning for a spot in the AAC after the Big12 implodes and SMU winds up jumping with those schools to form a new conference... or possibly joining THAT conference.

...Not to mention, Rice would likely drop every single sport rather than be associated in any way with Troy's academics (and likely several of the others you have listed in that division).

NMSU is a good hoops program and brings value to basketball. There is only one CUSA team rated ahead of NMSU. That was true last year as well. The year before that 2 CUSA were rated higher. This would make you dejected?

Texas State sucks at football and basketball but they've spent some on facilities and hey they are in Texas they can replace the close game you lost with Tulsa.

ULL has been spending money, they had a losing year in football but they look like an at-large in hoops this year.

Troy has been rated higher than all but one CUSA the past two years in football. 

Arkansas State has been rated higher than half of CUSA every year since 2011 and had a season ahead of all of CUSA and several with only one or two ahead and is spending a bundle on facilities, new indoor practice facility, new video boards for football and hoops, new press box, new end zone facility. Would really ruin your reputation to be affiliated with AState.

2005 to 2012 North Texas in football finished ahead of zero of those Sun Belt schools every year except 2010 and then only topped one of them in 2011. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

NMS, LaLa, Troy. You’re out of your mind. We have got to stay out of places like that. That jackass ODU writer was talking about JMU too. Same type of nonsense. Why not put Nacogdoches and Abilene on your list of fantasy destinations?

NMSU is far and away a superior hoops program

Troy does football, but I'd take USA over Troy. Easier to get to, great community where the nearest Power 5 program is LSU and has a history of doing things the right way. Plus whomever has USA probably has the Mobile Bowl which is one of the better run G5 games and fun to attend other than the stadium sucking. ULL is looking really good in hoops after spending a lot on football :)

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

NMSU is a good hoops program and brings value to basketball. There is only one CUSA team rated ahead of NMSU. That was true last year as well. The year before that 2 CUSA were rated higher. This would make you dejected?

Texas State sucks at football and basketball but they've spent some on facilities and hey they are in Texas they can replace the close game you lost with Tulsa.

ULL has been spending money, they had a losing year in football but they look like an at-large in hoops this year.

Troy has been rated higher than all but one CUSA the past two years in football. 

Arkansas State has been rated higher than half of CUSA every year since 2011 and had a season ahead of all of CUSA and several with only one or two ahead and is spending a bundle on facilities, new indoor practice facility, new video boards for football and hoops, new press box, new end zone facility. Would really ruin your reputation to be affiliated with AState.

2005 to 2012 North Texas in football finished ahead of zero of those Sun Belt schools every year except 2010 and then only topped one of them in 2011. 

I expected all of this from you sir.

Answer is still yes.  

Keep beating the drum for the SBC.  Y'all are better than your reputation.    I'd still rather be associated with the AAC once SMU leaves, or with the new "big12 -OU/OSU/UT" if we can keep football momentum going & get b-ball up on MT's level.

• Lovely Take 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I expected all of this from you sir.

Answer is still yes.  

Keep beating the drum for the SBC.  Y'all are better than your reputation.    I'd still rather be associated with the AAC once SMU leaves, or with the new "big12 -OU/OSU/UT" if we can keep football momentum going & get b-ball up on MT's level.

The problem is you believe there IS a reputation for most G5's outside of G5 fans.

People know who Boise State is, they know UConn. If they are older, they know UNLV hoops. They know SMU, Rice and Houston and if they live in the east, they know Temple and UMass.

The rest of G5 is basically hometown heroes at best.

When AState and App State signed home and home with Miami there was a fan complaining about going home and home with a CUSA (AState) and FCS (App State). The vast majority of people making up television audiences can't tell the schools apart. When AState rolled ULM after ULM beat Arkansas there were people asking why Arkansas had played someone from Arkansas State's division.

I cannot imagine with four of the 10 FBS conferences and 2 FCS conferences in Texas that the casual fan in Texas does a great job keeping things straight.

How many alums of the G5's even know? The attendance figures around G5 suggest that a huge swath of alums and students couldn't answer questions on who their alma mater plays because they don't go to the games.

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

The problem is you believe there IS a reputation for most G5's outside of G5 fans.

People know who Boise State is, they know UConn. If they are older, they know UNLV hoops. They know SMU, Rice and Houston and if they live in the east, they know Temple and UMass.

The rest of G5 is basically hometown heroes at best.

When AState and App State signed home and home with Miami there was a fan complaining about going home and home with a CUSA (AState) and FCS (App State). The vast majority of people making up television audiences can't tell the schools apart. When AState rolled ULM after ULM beat Arkansas there were people asking why Arkansas had played someone from Arkansas State's division.

I cannot imagine with four of the 10 FBS conferences and 2 FCS conferences in Texas that the casual fan in Texas does a great job keeping things straight.

Pretty sure most generic P5 CFB fans would know AAC bottom-dwellers like East Carolina & Tulane over SBC great teams like ARSt. & Troy (with the exception of LSU fans).

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Pretty sure most generic P5 CFB fans would know AAC bottom-dwellers like East Carolina & Tulane over SBC great teams like ARSt. & Troy (with the exception of LSU fans).

When Arkansas faced ECU in the Liberty Bowl, the ECU storyline was all Skip Holtz, son of former Arkansas coach Lou Holtz, not any other accomplishments.

And you cite two schools in AAC rather than CUSA????

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

When Arkansas faced ECU in the Liberty Bowl, the ECU storyline was all Skip Holtz, son of former Arkansas coach Lou Holtz, not any other accomplishments.

And you cite two schools in AAC rather than CUSA????

Bottom line with our fans, we wanted out and away from the Sunbelt. We don't want to merge with them and most of us just don't pay attention to the belt anymore. NT is doing a damn good job moving ahead and should not be looking to relive the past. Schools in the end need to do what's best for them, not a conference. There's no chance our current administration is going to try and be a part of the Sunbelt. 

This is just off season nonsense talk because everyone's bored. The next thread will be uniforms...

• Haha 1