ODU looking to bail C-USA?

Coach Bill Lewis

Old Dominion joined Conference USA in 2012 for what, at the time, appeared to be all the right seasons.

C-USA offered ODU a chance to play in the Football Bowl Subdivision and to begin hosting games against schools such as Virginia Tech, Virginia and North Carolina.

C-USA basketball also had a pretty good reputation, and the TV contracts were lucrative. Each school received more than $1.1 million yearly in revenue, along with a ton of national TV exposure.

But things have changed dramatically since, which is why it's time for ODU to begin looking elsewhere for a conference home.

Journalists who cover C-USA agree that Florida International, North Texas and Charlotte, and at times ODU, are stating attendance figures far above the number of people actually at the games.

Link to article:  http://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist/...8d137.html

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 5

Homer article if there ever was one. 

I've been to many UNT games since Apogee opened, and they do not significantly inflate attendance numbers if at all. 

Why don't ODU worry about building their football team back up and get a real stadium. 25 high school stadiums in the state of Texas puts their thing they call a stadium to shame. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

What will ODU do with all those C-USA championship trophies and banners they have accumulated?  How bout dominate the league then consider moving on.  I love how Marshall, USM and now ODU reason that their failures at not competing in C-USA has to do with the league and not them.  The only valid argument would be travel cost.  But it they want to string a bunch of FCS teams together go ahead, i think most FCS are content at where they are at considering the changing collusive environment of FBS.  Silly columnist, but it worked we all clicked on the article.

Edited by FAU Connoisseur
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Journalists who cover C-USA agree that Florida International, North Texas and Charlotte, and at times ODU, are stating attendance figures far above the number of people actually at the games.

Perhaps this a question for the Brett-ster.  What say you, Mr. Vito?

• Upvote 1

I think the greater point he is making is the one that many of us share, which is to make the SBCUSA a regional setup, not cross country conferences that overlap each other. ODU, Charlotte, and the F_Us have no business playing in a conference with us in Texas. Same with Texas State and ULL playing Appy State or Georgia Southern as conference mates. It’s dumb and the CUSA BB tournament at the Star will show that when MTSU and WKU or ODU are playing a title game in front of 250 people. 

This isnt brain surgery. It’s very doable.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

What will ODU do with all those C-USA championship trophies and banners they have accumulated?  How bout dominate the league then consider moving on.  I love how Marshall, USM and now ODU reason that their failures at not competing in C-USA has to do with the league and not them.  The only valid argument would be travel cost.  But it they want to string a bunch of FCS teams together go ahead, i think most FCS are content at where they are at considering the changing collusive environment of FBS.  Silly columnist, but it worked we all clicked on the article.

True, and very good post. ODU can't compete within Conference USA for championships but they think they are to good for this conference. I get it isn't the same conference, none are though. Part of the reason college football is losing its luster is it's getting watered down. There is a reason good athletic departments are spending big money on stadiums and facilities. They see that's part of what it takes to be D1. Then there's the way we were, or schools in high school type stadiums, borrowing stadiums, or ancient dumps and that's just football. Not everyone deserves to be D1. At times we sure didn't. Maybe ODU should go FCS in football?

I'm also sure DC has far better venues than The Star in Frisco, Texas for them to lose in. The Star is a dump and should be torn down. Shame on Conference USA for choosing it as a destination for a tournament.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

Legit question here.

How are attendance numbers calculated ?  If a person buys a ticket and sits in a seat they should be counted.  If there is a seat that has been paid for but not sat in, how should that be figured in ?  Both were bought and paid for, right ?  The "paid for/not sat in" seat is unavailable for anyone else to sit in.  For all we know the ticket holder got tied up in traffic and will get to the game ASAP.  Maybe late in the game.  What about the person that comes to the game, gets his ticket scanned and leaves ?  And what about people like me that come to the basketball games with 2 tickets in hand but no second person ?  I'm only one person but I want to count as two. 

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Legit question here.

How are attendance numbers calculated ?  If a person buys a ticket and sits in a seat they should be counted.  If there is a seat that has been paid for but not sat in, how should that be figured in ?  Both were bought and paid for, right ?  The "paid for/not sat in" seat is unavailable for anyone else to sit in.  For all we know the ticket holder got tied up in traffic and will get to the game ASAP.  Maybe late in the game.  What about the person that comes to the game, gets his ticket scanned and leaves ?  And what about people like me that come to the basketball games with 2 tickets in hand but no second person ?  I'm only one person but I want to count as two. 

GO MEAN GREEN

I think you might be analyzing a bit too much.  The institution will use the number that makes them look the best in a box score (which might have no reflection of reality).  My guess would be a combination of tickets distributed and actual attendance, therefore double dipping!  

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Legit question here.

GO MEAN GREEN

IIRC, season tickets are counted as attendance whether or not anyone shows up to the game to use those particular tickets.  All others are counted at the gate.  So the late arrival counts, as long as there is someone still at the gate counting.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Lovely Take 1

This is just a sport writer column stirring up the pot.   Every team in the conference has a segment of fans that thinks that their team is better than CUSA.  The problem unless they get some P5 attention there are no real available options. The AAC is a half step up, but has the same problems as CUSA and the Belt of being too wide spread and even more expensive.  

This writer's plan of starting a new football league and then having other sports in other leagues is just not workable partially for a school as far down the totem pole as ODU.    As far as his attendance situation, I think that just shows how of touch the writer is.  Even if every school overstated their attendance what does that have to do with his proposal?

As I just recently discovered, ODU is obcensely financed by student fees and I wonder if they even belong in the fbs division.   Maybe a move back to the Colonial Athletic would be their best move.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3