Wren Baker on Money Games

AustinFromUNT

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Seriously?   Unless Apogee is expanded to 40,000+ it will never happen.

Maybe.  They have a home-and-home scheduled with Army (capacity 38k).  It seems to me a trip to Apogee would be much more advantageous to OU from a travel perspective, from a recruiting perspective, from a game preparation perspective, giving their DFW alumni a "local event," etc.

I wasn't really speaking about likelihoods, though; just responding to a post.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Maybe.  They have a home-and-home scheduled with Army (capacity 38k).  It seems to me a trip to Apogee would be much more advantageous to OU from a travel perspective, from a recruiting perspective, from a game preparation perspective, giving their DFW alumni a "local event," etc.

I wasn't really speaking about likelihoods, though; just responding to a post.

OU has a "local event" for their DFW alumni every October.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Look at how WB is being measured and it is not that hard to predict from a strategy standpoint that he would be on board with eliminating the money games.  Unlike RV, who was measured by how much money he spent and whether or not he came in under budget, WB is being measured totally different.  Both (road P5 and home FCS) money games hurt from a scheduling and revenue standpoint.

He has published goals of increased MGC numbers, increasing season tickets, increasing giving.  Nothing has been mentioned of keeping costs under a certain figure.  

The quickest way to increase tickets sold is to bring in opponents that people want to see the Mean Green play.  In order to bring in the best possible teams, it will likely mean eliminating some of the money games.

He even mentioned a possible neutral site game, if it makes sense (probably as home team so can count attendance and revenue).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Would like to see some MWC games like CSU over a Texas State.

I can understand some individuals having preferences, but I would think Texas State makes a million times more sense for our fanbase as a whole, rather than some program that can't crack the top 3 of a non-P5 conference.

Follow up thought for anyone: as cable subscribers continue to disappear, does media perception go with it? I am throwing this out there: regional ties/rivalries will make much more sense as fewer and fewer people are watching what goes on ESPN.

44 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I can understand some individuals having preferences, but I would think Texas State makes a million times more sense for our fanbase as a whole, rather than some program that can't crack the top 3 of a non-P5 conference.

Follow up thought for anyone: as cable subscribers continue to disappear, does media perception go with it? I am throwing this out there: regional ties/rivalries will make much more sense as fewer and fewer people are watching what goes on ESPN.

I think from a streaming perception you would get a better draw with CSU.  I have always thought CSU could be a good series for Us. For flying someplace nice with well priced flights Denver could be great! If we are trying to get people in the stadium and travel to an away stadium I would do La La over TSU! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Look at how WB is being measured and it is not that hard to predict from a strategy standpoint that he would be on board with eliminating the money games.  Unlike RV, who was measured by how much money he spent and whether or not he came in under budget, WB is being measured totally different.  Both (road P5 and home FCS) money games hurt from a scheduling and revenue standpoint.

He has published goals of increased MGC numbers, increasing season tickets, increasing giving.  Nothing has been mentioned of keeping costs under a certain figure.  

The quickest way to increase tickets sold is to bring in opponents that people want to see the Mean Green play.  In order to bring in the best possible teams, it will likely mean eliminating some of the money games.

He even mentioned a possible neutral site game, if it makes sense (probably as home team so can count attendance and revenue).

I unlike many was never a RV fan, but I don't think there is any doubt; he had a lot less money to work with.    I assume every AD is measured based on their performance versus budget.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So with WB saying he was talked with TXST, here is a question for us to discuss.. 

FCS Game, 2 G5’s could be TXST and SMU, and an a similar match up with a P5. I’m assuming that is acceptable or would we prefer not to play SMU and TXST in the same year? 

If that happened we would be playing 5 Texas programs in a single year

Edited by BTG_Fan1

13 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I still think OSU would be a great opponent for a home-and-Home series. Same with KSU, KU, CU, and Mizzou. Getting TT to Denton will be really cool when/if it happens.

I would love the KU match up because I think UNT matched up well vs them. They are the whip boy of the Big12, and someone who isn’t a football 1st school helping level the playing field. Mizzou I feel would be a good addition because I think a lot of fans would come out to see them.

KSU and CU would be good teams but I don’t think we are ready for them yet.

Edited by BTG_Fan1

14 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I unlike many was never a RV fan, but I don't think there is any doubt; he had a lot less money to work with.    I assume every AD is measured based on their performance versus budget.  

Agreed.  Badly worded on my part.  However, I don't think there is any question that WB's budget and support by administration is light years ahead of the prior regime (regardless, it was time for a change).  And they seem willing to increase the budge if need be, where the prior group seemed more content with the status quo.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

I think from a streaming perception you would get a better draw with CSU.  I have always thought CSU could be a good series for Us. For flying someplace nice with well priced flights Denver could be great! If we are trying to get people in the stadium and travel to an away stadium I would do La La over TSU! 

If we play TXST I’m not worried about UNT traveling, I’m thinking we get more TXST fans here than CSU which is what I care about. It’s another game in the state and would help with recruiting saying we beat them on the field as well.