Wren Baker on Money Games

AustinFromUNT

Wow. Love this if he manages to make this actually shake out this way. And it is true that he hasn't yet scheduled any P5 one-offs. That said, he didn't need to, we are booked so far out on those, and you can always do that at a later date (scheduling home and homes requires more advance) so I still need to see a bit more follow through before I completely believe it. 

Edited by outoftown

10 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Wow. Love this if he manages to make this actually shake out this way. And it is true that he hasn't yet scheduled any P5 one-offs. That said, he didn't need to, we are booked so far out on those, and you can always do that at a later date (scheduling home and homes requires more advance) so I still need to see a bit more follow through before I completely believe it. 

He has scheduled a home and home with the Univ of California.  I don't remember the dates.

Just now, MeanGreenDadx2 said:

He has scheduled a home and home with the Univ of California.  I don't remember the dates.

I know, so far it sure does look like he really is following that plan. However, the first home game with a P5 is currently planed in 2022, so still a decent amount of time away. At least there ll be the game with Houston in 2019.

19 minutes ago, outoftown said:

I know, so far it sure does look like he really is following that plan. However, the first home game with a P5 is currently planed in 2022, so still a decent amount of time away. At least there ll be the game with Houston in 2019.

That's because we're contracted with P5 AWAY games through 2021.

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

What dynamite? He's been saying this almost verbatim for over a year. 

He's been saying "no baseball any time soon."   The five year plan saying nothing about baseball, and I know from talking to development officers that they aren't even working on getting finds for baseball right now.

Now, given the chance to say "yes, we are sticking with the five year plan, no baseball in the near future", he instead says "Too early to tell impact on timeline."

In no way shape or form a plan  to have baseball, but neither is it a plan to not have baseball, which is more or less what we had before.  

I'm not going to go through the effort of looking it up because it's not that important, but from the beginning he's been saying he wants to get other programs the support they need before we can turn the page to baseball. He has also emphasized the beginning of a baseball program, but stood strong on building up the other programs first. 

24 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

He's been saying "no baseball any time soon."   The five year plan saying nothing about baseball, and I know from talking to development officers that they aren't even working on getting finds for baseball right now.

Now, given the chance to say "yes, we are sticking with the five year plan, no baseball in the near future", he instead says "Too early to tell impact on timeline."

In no way shape or form a plan  to have baseball, but neither is it a plan to not have baseball, which is more or less what we had before.  

Consider me like Wren's previous employer, Missouri, cuz when it comes to baseball, I'm in a total show me state. 

This is good. I like everything that Wren is saying because it has some sound reasoning behind it. I've always thought our streaming/broadcast ability was one of the better ones in the Belt and in CUSA, and certainly an upgrade over UTEP's awful mess. I'd like the league as a whole to have better standards, but that may be asking a bit too much.

For we out-of-towners, having good streams of at least the home games is a good start. 

• Lovely Take 1

Just now, aztecskin said:

This is good. I like everything that Wren is saying because it has some sound reasoning behind it. I've always thought our streaming/broadcast ability was one of the better ones in the Belt and in CUSA, and certainly an upgrade over UTEP's awful mess. I'd like the league as a whole to have better standards, but that may be asking a bit too much.

For we out-of-towners, having good streams of at least the home games is a good start. 

I don't think that's asking for too much at all. I think that's asking for the acceptable standard at the FBS level of football. 

100% agree with Wren in scheduling. I’ve been beating that drum for years.  

Play an FCS every year, get an easy W, unless you’re Mac. 

Play 2 G5’s, as your program advances these should become W’s.

Play a lower Power 5 team, which is the type of school that would agree to a H and H.  Vandy, Colorado, Illinois, Rutgers, Iowa St. these are the types of teams. Sure it might be an L but there’s a better chance of knocking one of them off compared to OU, Bama and LSU.

Its the Boise method

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

13 minutes ago, H-towngreen said:

100% agree with Wren in scheduling. I’ve been beating that drum for years.  

Play an FCS every year, get an easy W, unless you’re Mac. 

Play 2 G5’s, as your program advances these should become W’s.

Play a lower Power 5 team, which is the type of school that would agree to a H and H.  Vandy, Colorado, Illinois, Rutgers, Iowa St. these are the types of teams. Sure it might be an L but there’s a better chance of knocking one of them off compared to OU, Bama and LSU.

Its the Boise method

I generally agree, but . . .

If we can get OU (or UT or A&M) into Apogee, we jump on it.

• Haha 1