DRC: Defensive line outlook for 2018

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Same song, 5th verse.  We are always short of (quality) linemen on both sides of the ball.  I'll bet if you look at the rosters of the top G5 and P5 programs who are consistently successful, they are 4-5 deep on the line (nose, tackle, DE, center, guard, etc.).

I would agree on the DL, but almost a quarter of our team are OL's. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Same song, 5th verse.  We are always short of (quality) linemen on both sides of the ball.  I'll bet if you look at the rosters of the top G5 and P5 programs who are consistently successful, they are 4-5 deep on the line (nose, tackle, DE, center, guard, etc.).

Not really on the Dline side . They may go three deep and then you have ones that occupy multiple slots on the depth chart.  True top flight DL are harder to find that top flight Quarterbacks.  

• Upvote 3

On 2/21/2018 at 3:29 PM, Marty said:

what's the deal with Julius Combes? Going on his 4th season here and he hasn't even touched the playing field., As Mac used to say, it's time you do something.

He walked on.  Unless he's been put on scholarship, it's not like he has to "earn his keep."

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

He walked on.  Unless he's been put on scholarship, it's not like he has to "earn his keep."

Really unfortunate because his high school tape looked good coming out of a strong program in Maryland.  I always thought it was interesting that he ended up at North Texas.  I keep wishing in one hand, but the other stays full.

18 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I've heard that for years, and I don't understand why. 

For one things offenses are now based on quick reads and repetition, repetition, repetition to build decision speed.

QBs and WRs get to play in 7 on 7 games all year round to get those reps.  In the top programs the HS offense is pushed down to the feeder junior highs.  So a good HS QB might have been getting those reps for six years before he steps on a college campus.  

A good DL needs reps to build read speed as well.   7 on 7 isn't going to help them because of the lack of a run game.  

A good DL has to be a physical freak.   You can't fake that.   A QB can miss out on being a physical freak and make up for it by being smart and getting those reps that speed up decision making.    Nothing helps a DL cheat out on lack of physical gifts anywhere near as much.  

Long story short: 

Being a physical outlier can make you a good QB or DL.  You can make more good QBs using schemes and reps, you can't do the same to make more DLs.  

How many athletic guys (6'1" to 6'5" , 260lbs plus pounds) with quick feet, quick hands and have good football instincts did you play sports in high school with? 

How many athletic guys (5'10" plus, 185 to 225 lbs) with the same skill sets did you know in high school?      

Edited by DT 90