DRC: First day of spring practice news, notes

Brett Vito

I know this is very small minded thinking, but if English isn't ready  (and maybe even if he is) we need to move a thick bodied and aggressive minded offensive linemen to the DL to just get in there and absorb blockers. We need Young out on the edge this year and I don't think we can afford to push him back inside. A 6'2"+ 300lb+ guy that has at least a decent burst is really all that is needed. Think Demonte Hood from the 2016 season. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I know this is very small minded thinking, but if English isn't ready  (and maybe even if he is) we need to move a thick bodied and aggressive minded offensive linemen to the DL to just get in there and absorb blockers. We need Young out on the edge this year and I don't think we can afford to push him back inside. A 6'2"+ 300lb+ guy that has at least a decent burst is really all that is needed. Think Demonte Hood from the 2016 season. 

I’ve said it before and will again.. our current LBs lack size and get swallowed up by OL. Jordan Murray doesn’t have the quickness to be a tackle and he nearly got Fine killed multiple times (Remember when Fine went down at Iowa). Put him at DT, and he is a wide body who can eat blockers allowing EJ and whoever next to him to hopefully roam. Not to mention he is 6’6 and would be difficult for most QBs to throw around if/when he got his arms up in the passing lanes.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

On 2/25/2018 at 9:28 AM, Ben Gooding said:

I’ve seen the “why don’t we just move an O-lineman to the DL because they’re big” suggestion thrown out at least once per off-season for about 15 years now, if not longer.  And, through multiple head coaches and coordinators who get paid to make assessments of need, I have yet to see the idea implemented.  Could there be a reason for this...hmmm?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I’ve seen the “why don’t we just move an O-lineman to the DL because they’re big” suggestion thrown out at least once per off-season for about 15 years now, if not longer.  And, through multiple head coaches and coordinators who get paid to make assessments of need, I have yet to see the idea implemented.  Could there be a reason for this...hmmm?

Hence why I said this is very small minded thinking. I'll admit, it's lazy to suggest. But this LB corps needs the help and they need the consistent double team happening in the interior line. Otherwise, I just don't see this defense improving much if at all. And if this defense doesn't improve at all, not sure how this season will pan out. We could instead drop all of those 1 possession games and go 4-8 or maybe even 3-9. I mean, the defense can't get much worse and this I know and experimenting with anything for the sake of improvement is worth it. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

And, through multiple head coaches and coordinators who get paid to make assessments of need, I have yet to see the idea implemented.  Could there be a reason for this...hmmm?

I actually spoke to coaches about this once.  Skillset and physical wants are very different.  Very hard for a player to make the transition.  If you want it to happen you usually have to start with a incoming freshman, redshirt him, and get him going towards becoming a DL.

The problem is you usually don't know how good an OL recruit is until you see him play develop a few years.  So unless you are incredibly deep at OL (which we never are) it is a very big risk.