Updated Roster for Spring Ball

MGNation92

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ntex-m-footbl-mtt.html

Lots of new names, and a lot of weight changes. 

Interesting new names/Developments:

Nicholas Pichon DL 6'3" 297

Dion Novil DL 6'4" 266(was 240 last year)

Tuulau Saafi 6'3" 280(was 272 when he came in)

OUR ENTIRE LB CORPS basically put on 10+ pounds. Also worth noting Jamie King was moved from TE to LB

Sosaia Mose 6'2" 305(Listed at 276 last year)

Dakoda Newman 6'3" 288(Listed at 323 as a true freshman)

Those are just a few that I noticed. The Strength and Conditioning/Nutrition staff put in work during the offseason. 

20 Josh Adebayo  RB   6-0221  RS SO     Lewisville, TX   Howard

Is this a change-of-pace power back? Anyone know anything about this young man?

98  Nicholas Pichon   DL  6-3297  RS SO   Sugar Land, TX    Texas Lutheran

Anyone know anything about Mr. Pichon?

23  Loren Easly  RB  5-11 210  RS JR  Houston, TX  Stephen F. Austin

1. What is his style? Speed or power?

2. Historically, a good choice for a number.

previous #23's @ NT

The late, great, Bernard Jackson. A skinny 5'11 X 175 RB who held the single season rushing record (1400 yrds) for almost two decades.

The very dependable and steady Monty Moon. A undersized FB in Corkey Nelson's wishbone.

The great Mitch Maher, still (for now) the career passing record holder. 

Edited by SilverEagle

Nate Brooks up to 192 lbs.

E.J. Ejiya up to 230 lbs.

Ozougwu up to 227 lbs.

Jacob Brammer up to 285 lbs.

Cade Pearson up to 207 lbs.

Shanbour to 202 lbs.

K. Martin up to 206 lbs.

Evan Johnson up to 185 lbs.

M. Sanders up to 205 lbs.

Chumley almost 260.

Darden up to 170 lbs.

Bussey to 208

Guyton to 208.

I hope this is all good weight and they have maintain speed and quickness.  I did notice Brian Parrish is still at 268.  I hope he doesn't have difficulty holding weight.

This will be an interesting spring.

• Lovely Take 1

I know what you mean, but muscle is a type of mass. Muscle is denser than fat so they could add muscle mass thus gaining weight while potentially looking smaller. Kind of like a pound of iron (muscle) is much smaller and denser than a pound of feathers (fat)

17 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Mason Fine is still at 180, I would of thought he would of packed on at least a couple pounds. I was hoping for at least 10 pounds of muscle but it is just Feb so he has a long summer ahead of him. I know we dont want him to be portly and lose his agility but a little more beef wouldnt hurt

The season hardly ended. IMO, the off season doesn't really start until after Spring Ball. That is when the reigns are completely handed off and strength training and weight gain/loss starts to truly happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, Wag Tag said:

Muscle is heavier than just mass. As we all know? Would like to see the LB av 230LBs . Can we get Chumley involved this season?

That is true but if you ask a strength and condition coach "How do I gain weight?" to a man they will tell you "Eat!".

Lots of guys will run their asses off during offseason in order to get faster/in better shape. Thing is they are not gaining weight. Coach tells them to "Eat More" . Ryan fought that for four years. Now that he is on the other side of the equation his advice to his players...... "EAT!"  

I have seen Ybarbo and others from Ryan's teams and they look nothing like they used to, so much so I didn't even recognize them. I asked him how did he go from 300 down to 240. He said "I stopped having to continuously eat ".  Even Ryan is down to something like 225.     

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, DT 90 said:

That is true but if you ask a strength and condition coach "How do I gain weight?" to a man they will tell you "Eat!".

Lots of guys will run their asses off during offseason in order to get faster/in better shape. Thing is they are not gaining weight. Coach tells them to "Eat More" . Ryan fought that for four years. Now that he is on the other side of the equation his advice to his players...... "EAT!"  

I have seen Ybarbo and others from Ryan's teams and they look nothing like they used to, so much so I didn't even recognize them. I asked him how did he go from 300 down to 240. He said "I stopped having to continuously eat ".  Even Ryan is down to something like 225.     

Whatever happen to the Ryan before Ryan? The DE from China Spring that came before him? Any idea?

15 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Whatever happen to the Ryan before Ryan? The DE from China Spring that came before him? Any idea?

Jeremiah  Chapman - Last I heard he works for a performance development company in the Metroplex. They run a lot of the high school summer off season programs around the Metroplex. Also train higher level athletes. Not sure of the company's name. Ryan worked for him at Flower Mound or Marcus for his summer job when he was at North Texas. Very good friends with his uncle.  

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Hopefully the addition of the nutritional personnel and resources will start making a big impact.

That is a huge factor in player development. It takes your program to the next level. I know Baylor and A&M have nutrition centers specifically for athletes with specific diets customized per individual. A&M actually has separate centers that cater to specific sports.

Another big thing is to provide snacks, energy/protein drinks (the good for you kind) and foods continuously. Fuel so to speak.   You see this at the entrances to the S&C facilities, much like stereotypical juice bars in high end fitness gyms.   Baylor has an entire room for this in their baseball stadium.  To give you an idea on what programs spend on this, Arkansas States' program budget is $100K for these "snacks".   BYU's is three times that.

Edited by DT 90

On 2/21/2018 at 12:07 PM, SilverEagle said:

20 Josh Adebayo  RB   6-0221  RS SO     Lewisville, TX   Howard

Is this a change-of-pace power back? Anyone know anything about this young man?

98  Nicholas Pichon   DL  6-3297  RS SO   Sugar Land, TX    Texas Lutheran

Anyone know anything about Mr. Pichon?

23  Loren Easly  RB  5-11 210  RS JR  Houston, TX  Stephen F. Austin

1. What is his style? Speed or power?

2. Historically, a good choice for a number.

previous #23's @ NT

The late, great, Bernard Jackson. A skinny 5'11 X 175 RB who held the single season rushing record (1400 yrds) for almost two decades.

The very dependable and steady Monty Moon. A undersized FB in Corkey Nelson's wishbone.

The great Mitch Maher, still (for now) the career passing record holder. 

The only one that I've done much research on yet is Loren Easly, the SFA transfer.  We may have caught some lightning in a bottle.

Easly was one of the better running backs in the state during his time at Houston Westside.  For his high school career he gained 3,700 yards and scored 48 touchdowns.  

He had always wanted to play in the FBS so those numbers got him an offer from Memphis and he decided to sign with them.  As luck would have it, Easly tore his ACL during the playoffs.  Of course, the offer was pulled.  I don't remember the circumstances but SFA at least gave him some sort of a make good offer.  I believe that he has gained over 1,700 yards there over the last two years so he's done some rehabbing.  He has kin in the Metroplex so he thought he'd try again to see if he could play FBS here.

He was about 15-20 pounds lighter in high school, and he ran track (sprints and relays) so I'd say that he's more of a speed back; although that could be subject to change.

Edit:  If Easly has half the vision that Bernard had and still has some speed and agility, opponents may not know what hit them.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

The only one that I've done much research on yet is Loren Easly, the SFA transfer.  We may have caught some lightning in a bottle.

Easly was one of the better running backs in the state during his time at Houston Westside.  For his high school career he gained 3,700 yards and scored 48 touchdowns.  

He had always wanted to play in the FBS so those numbers got him an offer from Memphis and he decided to sign with them.  As luck would have it, Easly tore his ACL during the playoffs.  Of course, the offer was pulled.  I don't remember the circumstances but SFA at least gave him some sort of a make good offer.  I believe that he has gained over 1,700 yards there over the last two years so he's done some rehabbing.  He has kin in the Metroplex so he thought he'd try again to see if he could play FBS here.

He was about 15-20 pounds lighter in high school, and he ran track (sprints and relays) so I'd say that he's more of a speed back; although that could be subject to change.

Edit:  If Easly has half the vision that Bernard had and still has some speed and agility, opponents may not know what hit them.

Absolutely. 

• Lovely Take 1