Florida International (2/22/18)

CMJ

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

Horrible foul call on Lawson.   That was definitely a charge. 

I think it could've gone either way but looked more like a foul on Lawson than offensive to me. Lawson jumped in front of the FIU player in a really bad decision. Make them shoot a deep contested shot instead of risk them going to the free throw line

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

I think it could've gone either way but looked more like a foul on Lawson than offensive to me. Lawson jumped in front of the FIU player in a really bad decision. Make them shoot a deep contested shot instead of risk them going to the free throw line

Didn't see it that way on the replay, it looked to me like the FIU player made contact with an arm push.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, BillySee58 said:

This. The called foul maybe be bad on the refs, but there was really no reason whatsoever to force the issue that far away from the basket with the shot clock running out about two seconds later, so that was definitely a bad decision. The refs have to kind of call something here, either a charge or a foul.

• Upvote 1

Lawson and Smart were a combined 5-22 from the floor and 0-3 from the line today. That's tough. I really think this team needs to look at upgrading the three spot offensively with a grad transfer (Damiyne Durham?). When Lawson is bad, he's really bad offensively. Having a true stretch four in Tikhonenko should help too, but this team needs another legit scoring option when Smart is not feeling it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Didn't see it that way on the replay, it looked to me like the FIU player made contact with an arm push.  

I didn't see the replay and it could have easily been a charge. Point is, that's a low-IQ play to force a foul call there (you know they're going to call a foul on someone) with under 5 seconds left rather than make that player take a contested outside shot with the shot clock running down. Probably greater than 50% chance they're going to call a foul on us there, and they only need to make one free throw. Make them make a shot they probably only have a 30% chance at making.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I didn't see the replay and it could have easily been a charge. Point is, that's a low-IQ play to force a foul call there (you know they're going to call a foul on someone) with under 5 seconds left rather than make that player take a contested outside shot with the shot clock running down. Probably greater than 50% chance they're going to call a foul on us there, and they only need to make one free throw. Make them make a shot they probably only have a 30% chance at making.

Yes. We’ve struggled several times this year with situational awareness and tonight was a glaring example of it that bit us in the ass.

Edited by BillySee58

6 minutes ago, Green59 said:

The replay of the blocking foul clearly showed Lockett used his left forearm to push off so it should have been a charge.

You’re right he did push off, but Lawson had already committed the foul. That’s why it’s was called. Lawson didn’t have the position. Tough call. Lawson’s been great at getting charges all year. It just wasn’t the right time or place to try. I just wish he would’ve fouled Beard

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

We desperately need a win Saturday. UTSA is really playing well right now so next Thursday will be tough. We need to have a little momentum going to Frisco. Probably looking at an 8 or 9 seed.

They lost by 40 to ODU and went to OT with Charlotte last week so UTSA has their own issues. I wouldn’t say they are playing really well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Bad performance and I am beginning to get a little worried about McCasland.  Last year his ASU team was 18-6 and than finished 2-6.   

NT was outplayed by one of the worst teams in the conference.  

Remember we only beat them on a broken play 3 late at home. We aren't a great team yet. We play hard and don't quit but haven't blown anybody out in conference. We can play up against the top teams but aren't any better than the 12-8 seeds. To many turnovers and poor FT shooting to win consistently.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's an ugly loss, another one. Gotta hem that bs up. 

The improvement of the team is visible and competitiveness is there, but you can keep playing the bottom half of the league in nailniters if the team ever wants to be taken seriously as a contender. Letting an 11-16 team shoot the ball at 50% is laughable. And if I look at another boxscore and see FT's in 50ish% I'm gonna wig out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, southsideguy said:

i am not worried about this team but we need to learn how to win the close games.  It seems if we get a lead we seem to coast for a while until we are behind.

If this were next year I would be worried. We should win at least 2 of the next 3 and avoid completely tanking going into the tournament where anything can happen. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2