Can North Texas' Line Step Up?

MGNation92

17 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Nothing really worries me on offense, including the OL. 

If the D shows some improvement and grit then this team will improve leaps and bounds. If we can get to the mid to high 20's (25-29) in ppg defensively, this is a 10-win team. 

We'll be off to a 2-0 start, and will get our first test against Arkansas.   That's a game I think we can be competitive in.   

If Arkansas dominates NT, we may be in for tough year. I anticipate UAB to be strong, LATech will bounce back, and of course we'll have to play UTSA's Super Bowl in their house this year... not to mention FAU coming to town.

• Upvote 3

Good topic to discuss.  I agree, Barr is solid and should help us with depth and being to plan guard and center.  My biggest concern is the tackle position.  We REALLY need some of these young redshirt guys to step up and be players.  You gotta hope  Thom Preston can play right away.  Cole Brown will likely redshirt.  Is Jevin Pahuni healthy?  Is Brian Parish ready?  Is Weatherspoon healthy?  What to do with Jordan Murray?

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Good topic to discuss.  I agree, Barr is solid and should help us with depth and being to plan guard and center.  My biggest concern is the tackle position.  We REALLY need some of these young redshirt guys to step up and be players.  You gotta hope  Thom Preston can play right away.  Cole Brown will likely redshirt.  Is Jevin Pahuni healthy?  Is Brian Parish ready?  Is Weatherspoon healthy?  What to do with Jordan Murray?

Profess to him that he must lose another 25 pounds and do a ton of rope exercises all off season. See if he fairs better in Spring ball and Fall camp. If not, I don't think we can afford to take away our drags/slants/seams by having him as a staple at guard, because that is what would happen. So, if no improvement there after the loss of weight and rope exercises, bench him.  

• Lovely Take 1

28 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Profess to him that he must lose another 25 pounds and do a ton of rope exercises all off season. See if he fairs better in Spring ball and Fall camp. If not, I don't think we can afford to take away our drags/slants/seams by having him as a staple at guard, because that is what would happen. So, if no improvement there after the loss of weight and rope exercises, bench him.  

Well he could be a stud guard if we could develop any depth at tackle.  He’s a good run blocker and effective on quick throws but needs help with any mid range or deep balls.

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well he could be a stud guard if we could develop any depth at tackle.  He’s a good run blocker and effective on quick throws but needs help with any mid range or deep balls.

With a QB that at times already shows issues with field vision, I don't think sliding him to guard makes sense. He is a good run blocker and maybe someone we could get out in open space on screens, etc. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2

What has happened to Chris Miles?  He was highly touted coming out of HS, played some early in his career, but seems to have disappeared the past two years.

If Mayfield gets his extra year, I think we see the following:

Tackles: Mayfield and Murray

Guards: ???  Barr, Newman, Preston, Weatherspoon, M. Mose

Center: S. Mose, Barr, Newman

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

What has happened to Chris Miles?  He was highly touted coming out of HS, played some early in his career, but seems to have disappeared the past two years.

If Mayfield gets his extra year, I think we see the following:

Tackles: Mayfield and Murray

Guards: ???  Barr, Newman, Preston, Weatherspoon, M. Mose

Center: S. Mose, Barr, Newman

Woodworth is our best Guard.   He's returning. 

I'm thinking we'll have 2 Moses starting for us (Sosia @ C & Manase @ G) by the time we kick off VS SMU.   I think Murray starts (Littrell stuck with him all last year), and depending on Mayfield's possible return, we could see the JUCO transfer Preston playing the other T.

I'm also confounded at Miles' fall.   Same with Barr, who I thought was pretty good.   Littrell must have seen something he didn't like.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

If he can get to the line and hit free throws, McCasland can use him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Woodworth is our best Guard.   He's returning. 

I'm thinking we'll have 2 Moses starting for us (Sosia @ C & Manase @ G) by the time we kick off VS SMU.   I think Murray starts (Littrell stuck with him all last year), and depending on Mayfield's possible return, we could see the JUCO transfer Preston playing the other T.

I'm also confounded at Miles' fall.   Same with Barr, who I thought was pretty good.   Littrell must have seen something he didn't like.

Thank you.  Didn't mean to leave out Woodworth.