DRC: Results of UNT fee vote delayed again

Brett Vito

9 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

When students apply to attend The University of North Texas the application should include a question:  Will you support Intercollegiate Athletics monetarily, including a $16.00 per credit hour fee, subject to change annually at the descrestion of the University (or some pro athletics entity)?  Yes/No

If they answer no, application denied.  This will put an end to this complaint tactic schit.

Hmmm, 

I tend to favor a disclaimer that says "the price of tuition also includes $16 per credit hour for athletics. If you consider this a unnecessary financial burden, a list of other schools that offers similar academic programs as North Texas, and a breakdown of their athletic fees, can be provided upon request".

Does the athletic department have student volunteers to help with various game day preparations? Maybe a waiving of fees for some volunteers could be worked out.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

So what does this mean to you as a supporter of our sports team if the university basically allows this vote to be overturned or have to be re-tried again until the no’s win? Because that’s what I feel like is going to happen here. 

Give me a break.  The university stepping in to control the SGA would be worse.  This is a student issue since it is going through the SGA.

You want to argue that the administration should go about funding of athletics differently, fine, but this back and forth going on with this vote is purely in the court of the SGA.

• Upvote 3

Im wondering how much both these elections have cost the School? Maybe its not that much, I dont know. I know its all online but they have to pay someone to set all that up and then go through the results. Did I read a previous post that a third party goes over the results?

It also angers me that the Athletic Dept basically threw away money (OUR Money) on their marketing due to this BS. It's not the Ath Dept fault, its the schools fault for allowing this BS. Which ever way the vote went, the school needs to step in and say "This is the result and this is how its going to be". IF we lose students due to the raise in tuition, then so be it, A kid that didnt get in, now has a chance to achieve his educational dream.

• Thanks 2

We should probably hold off on castigating an anonymous student (and by extension an entire generation of UNT students/prospective students)  based on a slew of assumptions and no actual facts at this point.

As of right now, we don't know the nature of the complaint and if it does/does not have merit.  We don't know which side the student who filed the complaint represents.  We don't know what side would have won had the results been announced as scheduled.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

Just now, Greendylan said:

We should probably hold off on castigating an anonymous student (and by extension an entire generation of UNT students/prospective students)  based on a slew of assumptions and no actual facts at this point.

As of right now, we don't know the nature of the complaint and if it does/does not have merit.  We don't know which side the student who filed the complaint represents.  We don't know what side would have won had the results been announced as scheduled.  

But we're having so much fun!  :) 

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Maybe we should hold off on castigating the student(s). However this happening is to a good deal the fault of the lack of transparency of this process and the lack of communication from all parts and in particular from the SGA.

At best, that we don't know anything seems overly much protection of privacy. On a more sour note, it creates the impression that something dubious might be going on because this kind of stalling and intransparency is exactly what institutions usually do if indeed something dubious is going on.

The problem with that is that UNT is not a corporation but a public university and transparency at public institutions is a public right and has to be given in a time sensitive manner (I mean this in the moral, not a legal sense). The complaint therefore ought to be public seeing as it does not only affect the complainant, but the financing strategies of a public institution and all of its stake holders (again in the moral sense).

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

UTA is always a local option when students do not want a big sports program.  I remember when UTA dumped football the enrollment dropped for a few years after that.

I had to go to UTA for a work related event this past week. What a dump of a campus.

• Haha 3

For those of you worried about “transparency”... that’s not how elections/referendums work.   I’m betting these hearings will be recorded/notes taken, & when all is said/done, it will be released... for “transparency”.  The integrity of the process matters much more than what anyone wishes they could see before that process finishes.

Just let them do their job.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, GTWT said:

It'll be funny (at least in the context of this thread) if it turns out the complaint was filed by a pro-increase student who thought the vote was going against athletics.

I would bet against it. It will be the anti-establishment anti-sports nut with his panities in a wad. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

For those of you worried about “transparency”... that’s not how elections/referendums work.   I’m betting these hearings will be recorded/notes taken, & when all is said/done, it will be released... for “transparency”.  The integrity of the process matters much more than what anyone wishes they could see before that process finishes.

Just let them do their job.

Agree with you, particularly the integrity of the process. The way this is playing out, however, smells to me like someone is trying to repeat the process until their side achieves the desired result.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Regardless of the outcome, it seems like placing a decision like this in the hands of current students is the wrong way to go about this.  What is the genesis of this anyway?  Is it a Texas state law or up to the school?

Let's think about this for a second.  Senior with only a semester or two to go... the fee doesn't really affect them so they may say WTH, I had a good time here and liked going to games, I'll vote yes.  Or maybe it's just the opposite and they vote no.  Graduate students...most people care (about athletics anyway if they care at all) about were they got their undergraduate degree.  They may not vote at all, but they probably don't have a strong affinity to UNT.  Would most likely vote no to save some bucks.  And finally, let's face it not everyone that starts at UNT finishes here (or finishes at all).  They may only be here a semester or two never to return and yet they have a say in something that will potentially chart the direction of a major component of the University for decades to come.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GTWT said:

It'll be funny (at least in the context of this thread) if it turns out the complaint was filed by a pro-increase student who thought the vote was going against athletics.

Exactly.  Keep in mind that the last vote was invalidated because they felt like the unapproved use of the SGA logo could have caused confusion by the flyer that was against the fee.  Seems like it would be odd to void the results if the fee passed and the infraction was by the opposition.

• Upvote 1

I saw UH beat Temple this weekend and they are currently sitting pretty for an at-large bid for the NCAA Tournament. This is happening while they are playing at a different court while Hofheinz Pavilion is being renovated. 

And then I sighed as I thiought about our athletic department compared to them. UH likes sports and have a larger endowment that helps them get rid of losing coaches before it gets out of hand. 

It just reminds me of how different my alma mater views sports. As I’ve said before, there’s nothing wrong with UNT valuing other windows over athletics, but it just makes guys like me that love college sports wonder what it’d be like to have gone somewhere that winning at sports really mattered like it does at the schools in the AAC, MWC, and the P5s.

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I saw UH beat Temple this weekend and they are currently sitting pretty for an at-large bid for the NCAA Tournament. This is happening while they are playing at a different court while Hofheinz Pavilion is being renovated. 

And then I sighed as I thiought about our athletic department compared to them. UH likes sports and have a larger endowment that helps them get rid of losing coaches before it gets out of hand. 

It just reminds me of how different my alma mater views sports. As I’ve said before, there’s nothing wrong with UNT valuing other windows over athletics, but it just makes guys like me that love college sports wonder what it’d be like to have gone somewhere that winning at sports really mattered like it does at the schools in the AAC, MWC, and the P5s.

UH also had the luxury of being in the SWC while we were kicking it in 1-AA.    That's a tough head start to overcome.

• Upvote 3