DRC: UNT running back outlook

Brett Vito

I may be off my rocker but I think RB is a position we shouldn't worry too much about. As long as the line can provide ample blocking, Smith, Johnson and Torrey will find holes and make things happen. Every time Smith touched the ball last year, I was thoroughly impressed.

As long as we stay healthy here, we equal or surpass our numbers from last year

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Few running backs if any in CUSA had the breakaway ability of Wilson last year.  Smith and Johnson are capable backs, but have not shown that kind of speed.   Torrey looks similar to NT's returning backs.  

I suspect NT will have a stable of good running backs who can pick up tough yardage and also are good receivers. 

This is a position that I don't think will be as good as when Wilson played last year.  However, NT will be substantially better than the Wilsonless offense NT had at the end of last year.  

• Lovely Take 1

Having to replace Wilson will be very tough, and it maybe as big or bigger than Trevor Moore and potentially similar to replacing Keena.

We saw how the RBs were not able to pass block like Wilson, nor did it seem like they had the vision/cutback ability of Wilson, who could see a lane before and set it up and explode through it. We also suffered some major blowouts without Wilson, he was a security blanket and someone that was the heart and soul of the offense, it seemed.

Yes, Smith and Johnson had a few solid games like Lamar, Rice.. but they still struggled in games like Troy, FAU (both times).

A legitimate question is and should be, was the play calling slightly different with Wilson (Wilson seemed like a pure RB more than a 3rd down RB like the current group looks like) than it will be with Smith, Johnson and Torrey? 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

35 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

RB will be all about the OL.

The RBs and OL both benefit from each other. If an RB has great vision like Wilson did, they can help set up the OL and cut towards the lane they see once it opens up. The OL can also make an RB look better than they are if they can make solid blocking lanes..

This OL didn’t seem to be busting wide open lanes for the RBs when Wilson was out, but Wilson did have multiple times he bounce play away from where the play was going to find a big hole.

This question has been asked for as long as I can remember.  Since 2000, we have wondered who would replace Wilburn and Galbreath stepped up and then Cobbs stepped up to replace Galbreath.  Who would replace Cobbs and we had Thomas, Thomas to Montgomery to Dunbar, to Byrd and then to Wilson.  I think we will be fine.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We saw how the RBs were not able to pass block like Wilson 

I don't get how this article failed to notice this key fact.  Others can come close in running ability, maybe even surpass him in certain facets, but no one else I've seen can touch his pass blocking.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This question has been asked for as long as I can remember.  Since 2000, we have wondered who would replace Galbreath and Cobbs stepped up.  Who would replace Cobbs and we had Thomas, Thomas to Montgomery to Dunbar and then to Wilson.  I think we will be fine.

Skipped Byrd in your chain.  And I can't speak for the run game before him, but Wilburn was before Galbreath.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I think we might see more of a pure Leach Air Raid this season. IE using swing passes/screens/draws as our de facto "run game". 

All of our backs seem like better pass catchers than pure runners.

That will only happen IF things go really bad.  Seth's Air Raid version includes a heavy running game and I don't expect that to change. 

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

RB will be all about the OL.

Just like it has always been.

But it seems since Wilson joined the team the OL has not been, well, as good as past O-lines. The reason that Wilson was as successful was because (IMHO) he made a lot of his own holes by being a pseudo-battering ram. It's why he was always hurt by the end of just about every season. He flung himself at the line and turned/bludgeoned  the slightest crack into a running lane. 

That is the main reason why I suggested in another thread that they try to turn Conner Means into a power back like Wilson was. At 6'4" X 224, and FAST, he could (in theory) make a few holes for himself, much like Wilson did.

It'll be interesting to see how Wilson does in some NFL camp when he doesn't have to be responsible for creating his own holes to run through. 

If all our running backs depend on pure speed, quickness, and niftyness(?), then we are going to struggle in our running game this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

A legitimate question is and should be, was the play calling slightly different with Wilson (Wilson seemed like a pure RB more than a 3rd down RB like the current group looks like) than it will be with Smith, Johnson and Torrey? 

I think there will definitely be an increase of RB usage in the pass game. Nic Smith looked much more capable as a receiver than Wilson, and Torrey looks explosive in open space.

In 2017, RBs accounted for 17% of receptions at North Texas. In air raids, you can see that number around 25-30%, depending on your talent makeup. So I expect potentially receptions to increase and yardage to double for RBs.

Edited by Aldo

5 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

It'll be interesting to see how Wilson does in some NFL camp when he doesn't have to be responsible for creating his own holes to run through. 

Wilson created his own holes by manipulating defenders during the handoff, and before he even crossed the line of scrimmage. Feet placement, body fakes, hiding behind his lineman, etc. Dude quietly did so much for us.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Wilson created his own holes by manipulating defenders during the handoff, and before he even crossed the line of scrimmage. Feet placement, body fakes, hiding behind his lineman, etc. Dude quietly did so much for us.

Your description of Wilson's style is much more subtle than mine. I often called his style "whirling dervish/battering ram"

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Just like it has always been.

But it seems since Wilson joined the team the OL has not been, well, as good as past O-lines. The reason that Wilson was as successful was because (IMHO) he made a lot of his own holes by being a pseudo-battering ram. It's why he was always hurt by the end of just about every season. He flung himself at the line and turned/bludgeoned  the slightest crack into a running lane. 

That is the main reason why I suggested in another thread that they try to turn Conner Means into a power back like Wilson was. At 6'4" X 224, and FAST, he could (in theory) make a few holes for himself, much like Wilson did.

If all our running backs depend on pure speed, quickness, and niftyness(?), then we are going to struggle in our running game this year. 

Not sure I would call Wilson a power back. I mean, he had some power here and there. But not really a power back. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

That will only happen IF things go really bad.  Seth's Air Raid version includes a heavy running game and I don't expect that to change. 

I believe that SL seems to go with whatever is best for the team. He has had higher passing % some years, and higher runs %.. 

I would think in Masons 3rd year, it will be more on Mason (hopefully) to be the star of the offense and not option 1B like it looked like when Wilson was going. 

Heres to hoping Mason can make audibles at the line and have a larger hand with in game adjustments potentially.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't get how this article failed to notice this key fact.  Others can come close in running ability, maybe even surpass him in certain facets, but no one else I've seen can touch his pass blocking.

End of discussion.

• Upvote 2