Great Adam Boedeker story on Kason Martin

MeanGreenZen

Feb. 13, 2018

DENTON - In some respect, it's a good thing Kason Martin left Manvel when he did.

The freshman quarterback enrolled early at UNT just two weeks after playing in one of the most talked about high school football games in history.

He said he couldn't walk around town without people asking him about the game - the Class 5A Division I state championship game, which his team lost in heartbreaking fashion after coming up literally a yard short of winning as time expired.

He figured with a relocation to Denton, he'd be able to walk around campus without people asking him about the game that was still weighing heavily on his mind. He was wrong.

One of his first days in Denton found him eating in the cafeteria at his new dormitory when an upperclassman student-athlete came up to him.

"Hey, you're that Manvel quarterback, right? I saw you in that game."

"You've gotta be kidding me," Martin thought.

read more:  https://t.co/jMfbEE3n3G

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

I still don't know how the hell we landed this kid or how he had so few offers.  He's a little light but at 6'2" he falls squarely into that capable QB size for college.  And he's a coaches son.  How were there not more offers?  Hopefully he stays even if SL leaves us in a couple years.

I would say he greatly benefited from a team that was STACKED with P5 talent. Especially on offense. I'm not sure he puts the same kind of stats he did on a less talented team. Then again I could be completely wrong. Just trying to play devils advocate.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I would say he greatly benefited from a team that was STACKED with P5 talent. Especially on offense. I'm not sure he puts the same kind of stats he did on a less talented team. 

Sure, that goes without saying.  But a team stacked with P5 talent put him at the most important position on the field, and he led that team to the state finals in addition to excelling individually.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JRock said:

So when will he actually be on the roster? I read something about him going on a mission trip for two years?

Wrong quarterback.  Martin will be here for spring practice and on the roster this fall.  I believe that the quarterback that will be gone for two years is named Fennegan.  Edit:  Yep; Cade Fennegan from Dallas Woodrow Wilson.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Wrong quarterback.  Martin will be here for spring practice and on the roster this fall.  I believe that the quarterback that will be gone for two years is named Fennegan.  Edit:  Yep; Cade Fennegan from Dallas Woodrow Wilson.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I saw something on twitter and halfway paid attention to it....obviously. lol. 

The more I learn of Kason, the more he sounds like Graham Harrell (Denton edition)...

• Attention grabbing High School career
  • Coach's son
  • Student of the game
  • Leadership qualities

Harrell took a redshirt year his first  fall in Lubbock and then mostly backed up Cody Hodges his RS Freshman season.

Seems like the ideal plan for a guy Littrell was quoted as saying, "We're looking forward to him coming in here and continuing to develop as a leader and hopefully be the leader here one day."

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I would say he greatly benefited from a team that was STACKED with P5 talent. Especially on offense. I'm not sure he puts the same kind of stats he did on a less talented team. Then again I could be completely wrong. Just trying to play devils advocate.

It’s the chicken or egg.. did the WRs, OL, RB make him or did Martin make them?

I will say it will be interesting and a very encouraging sign is his dad is now a D1 QB coach at a P5 program.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It’s the chicken or egg.. did the WRs, OL, RB make him or did Martin make them?

I will say it will be interesting and a very encouraging sign is his dad is now a D1 QB coach at a P5 program.

Exactly.  Like I said, he's a little light but otherwise hes a good height and he's got the character you want with a winning pedigree.  Can't believe he wasn't more heavily recruited.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:57 AM, peanuts104 said:

Exactly.  Like I said, he's a little light but otherwise hes a good height and he's got the character you want with a winning pedigree.  Can't believe he wasn't more heavily recruited.

He's 3 pounds lighter than the #1 QB recruit in the country.  His weight is not remotely a detriment at this point.

• Lovely Take 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Other schools aren't ready for this. 

He's the hero the mean green deserve, but not the one we need right now, so we'll watch his Twitter.  Because he can take it, because he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, the rose-suited quarterback.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2