DRC: UNT students set to vote on fee for second time

Brett Vito

I voted today and it was a simple process that I did on my phone. I’ve been getting emails from the athletic department for two weeks so hopefully that helps with getting a positive message to the student body. From the students I’ve talked to the answer is usually they didn’t know about a vote on a fee or apathy about the vote. Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I wonder, if this vote fails to pass, will it effect Wren Baker's tenure at UNT?  Will he leave UNT much sooner than we would like?

It may have an impact..

WB and SL could then jump at a slightly less desirable gig potentially because the students/fan base isn’t willing to jump on to assist them and the program.

36 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Searching the NTDaily, and the most recent thing I can find mentioning this vote is from January 19th. My daughter was completely unaware of any vote.  This will pass.  The no's won't be aware it's happening.  

They will be aware of it because of emails, signs up around campus, and social media..

no idea how she wasn’t aware about it

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

Searching the NTDaily, and the most recent thing I can find mentioning this vote is from January 19th. My daughter was completely unaware of any vote.  This will pass.  The no's won't be aware it's happening.  

RRYrMv8.gif

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

This was exactly how UNTFlyer got the stadium vote to get passed. Run it steathily, it gets passed, the masses get pissed and complain loudly, then the athletic department benefits. Hope it happens again here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, untjim1995 said:

This was exactly how UNTFlyer got the stadium vote to get passed. Run it steathily, it gets passed, the masses get pissed and complain loudly, then the athletic department benefits. Hope it happens again here.

This sounds like the AD is mass marketing the vote by emailing everyone.  That's what RV tried and failed.  You are exactly right....keep it relatively low key and it will pass.  That's not what is happening here, it sounds.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I'll be SHOCKED if this thing is even close. Asking kids to vote to have their costs go up at a G5 school is tough, asking to do it at a place that doesn't normally hold athletics in a very good light seems impossible. I guess we will see, but I am not holding my breath here.

I will say this, though. If we do pass this vote, I will believe for the first time that the view of UNT Athletics within the community has finally come around to being something worthy of major support. This would make us look more like UH than UTSA, which would make future conference realignment something we would be a better player in.

I'll be shocked if it doesn't pass.  I think it'll pass handily ... at least 55% to 45%. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

That vote may have been the most heavily publicized student referendum in school history.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Well, while I have literally raised her on UNT football, that's not why she's here. I guess she was just out of touch or didn't take the initiative to call the athletic department to get the latest or something along those lines. 

The school has sent out multiple emails this week about this vote... literally all she has to do is check her inbox 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

12 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I shall be sure to regale to her on your behalf that she's not living up to your expectations. 

You said that people don’t know but is it’s very well known around campus the vote..

Sorry she isn’t aware but it’s literally all over social media, blasted out in emails, etc.. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 4