DRC: UNT students set to vote on fee for second time

Brett Vito

Watching how this thing is unfolding, I'm pretty certain it will ultimately pass.  It may not have on the first iteration of voting -- which many students probably forgot even happened.  This second iteration has been all for all day every night.  Can't imagine it'll fail this time. 

I hope all of us who were clamoring for its passage choose to open our wallets on the other side of the stadium commensurate with available disposable income. That would be win-win in my eyes. 

Here's a handy table for us to increase our contributions in kind by 42.5%

Last year contribution            This year Contribution
125                                             178

250                                              355

500                                              710

1000                                            1,420

2000                                            2,840

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

Here's a handy table for us to increase our contributions in kind by 42.5%

Last year contribution            This year Contribution
125                                             178

250                                              355

500                                              710

1000                                            1,420

2000                                            2,840

I increased by 140%   Why aren't we gouging the students for more!!!!!!1    Texas State!!!!!1!  UTSA!!!!!!11!1!  <Other poor, disinterested, desperate school>!!!!!!1!

• Haha 1

Like it or not, athletics are possibly the largest window to universities.   There are plenty of schools that are smaller than UNT that provide an education that can’t hold a flame to UNT, but have better name recognition than UNT.  When these kids are looking for jobs one day, anything they can do to bump up their resumes helps.  Investing in athletics is investing in the value of their degrees.   Good athletics is good marketing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

I want to be optimistic, but it's been a couple years since the ole UNT crotch kick got me really good.  This feels like a prime opportunity for UNT to make up for lost time on that front.

The University is pulling one direction and has been for the past few years.  Why on earth would the BOR, pres/chancellor risk undoing all the momentum that they've been building and not just find a way to add an erroneous fee somewhere else that covers this?  

I'm not trying to be a dill here and force more fees on students.  I'm going to be paying for college for 2 kids starting in 4 years, so I fully understand the stakes.  What I don't understand is how this is even debatable.  It has been proven over and over and over....with athletic success comes huge donation increases across the school as a whole.  It's so often said that athletics is a window into the school.  I think that really short changes the facts.  It's not  a window so much as it is a way to improve the QUALITY of the education for current and future students---and that ultimately improves the perceived value of the degree for all degree holding alumni.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

There are like two comments on that thread, one of which is an alum calling students chodes.  I don't know how well this accurately reflects things. The sample is microscopic. 

This is the 3rd thread this week about raising the fee. The first 2 were deleted because they got SO MANY negative comments.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I want to be optimistic, but it's been a couple years since the ole UNT crotch kick got me really good.  This feels like a prime opportunity for UNT to make up for lost time on that front.

The University is pulling one direction and has been for the past few years.  Why on earth would the BOR, pres/chancellor risk undoing all the momentum that they've been building and not just find a way to add an erroneous fee somewhere else that covers this?  

I'm not trying to be a dill here and force more fees on students.  I'm going to be paying for college for 2 kids starting in 4 years, so I fully understand the stakes.  What I don't understand is how this is even debatable.  It has been proven over and over and over....with athletic success comes huge donation increases across the school as a whole.  It's so often said that athletics is a window into the school.  I think that really short changes the facts.  It's not  a window so much as it is a way to improve the QUALITY of the education for current and future students---and that ultimately improves the perceived value of the degree for all degree holding alumni.

Because they're trying to modify 2 existing fees, removing 1 altogether (student services), and bumping up another significantly (Athletics).

..."add an erroneous fee somewhere else"...   huh?    This sounds dishonest and veiled.   Something I would not want leadership to do.

Unless it changed somewhere along the line, NT has had the opportunity to increase the Athletics fee by 10% each year since implemented... but has not done so.    It seems like this vote is attempting to make up some lost time.   If it fails, I would assume they just start cranking up the 10%/yr no-questions-asked, until they get it where they want it.

• Lovely Take 2

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

BUnless it changed somewhere along the line, NT has had the opportunity to increase the Athletics fee by 10% each year since implemented... but has not done so.    It seems like this vote is attempting to make up some lost time.   If it fails, I would assume they just start cranking up the 10%/yr no-questions-asked, until they get it where they want it.

This is not true.   Why would they bother with an election if it was?   The 1% added to the !0% is all that could be implemented.  

I hope it passes, but I think that NT has made a big mistake in the way they are trying to implement this.  Reducing the student service fee and increasing the athletics fees is just not the right optics to win an election.  It is confusing and is being used by opponents to defeat this proposal.   They would have been better off just proposing a lower increase to the athletic fees. 

• Upvote 2

I'll be SHOCKED if this thing is even close. Asking kids to vote to have their costs go up at a G5 school is tough, asking to do it at a place that doesn't normally hold athletics in a very good light seems impossible. I guess we will see, but I am not holding my breath here.

I will say this, though. If we do pass this vote, I will believe for the first time that the view of UNT Athletics within the community has finally come around to being something worthy of major support. This would make us look more like UH than UTSA, which would make future conference realignment something we would be a better player in.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

16 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

This is not true.   Why would they bother with an election if it was?   The 1% added to the !0% is all that could be implemented.  

I hope it passes, but I think that NT has made a big mistake in the way they are trying to implement this.  Reducing the student service fee and increasing the athletics fees is just not the right optics to win an election.  It is confusing and is being used by opponents to defeat this proposal.   They would have been better off just proposing a lower increase to the athletic fees. 

I just answered your question in the same exact post that you quoted me in... but deleted the answer when quoting.    

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't see any answer there.  

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Because they're trying to modify 2 existing fees, removing 1 altogether (student services), and bumping up another significantly (Athletics).

In order to do what they're wanting to do, it requires a student vote.   They would not be allowed to increase the Athletics fee $4.25 at once otherwise.