DRC position outlook series: Will QB Mason Fine stay healthy?

Brett Vito

On 2/13/2018 at 4:20 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I suppose that's kinda the argument here, right?   How valuable is Fine? 
When that same kind of throw needed to be made VS UTSA (with a free blitzer bearing down on him) Fine made it.   Shanbour didn't.   
Fine is critical to the success of the team against the good teams.    If Fine twists an ankle VS SMU, I'm fine with Shanbour finishing that game out and playing Incarnate Word... because they'll both be easier wins.    If we need to rely on Shanbour to win @ UAB, that's tougher to be as confident.   

If I recall correctly, vs UTSA the defender didn’t get his arms up and they were going for knockout hit on Fine.. Also the pass went 10 yards and mason wasn’t moving to his right or left I believe neither.

The Quinn throw vs FAU was moving to his left, throwing the ball 20-30 yards down field over a defender that had their arms up knowing it was 4th down coming from his throwing shoulder..

Quinn had a much more difficult throw when it comes down to ranking the passes.

11 hours ago, ttunt1970 said:

Between SHANBOUR, PEARSON, MARTIN & BEAN our QB situation is fine. SHANBOUR, PEARSON & MARTIN will another spring 

to get comfortable in the offense.

Quinn, I believe only has 1 more season then he is done and likely moving into a GA role with the staff. He will be a good guy to have Martin and Bean learn from as well.

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Quinn, I believe only has 1 more season then he is done and likely moving into a GA role with the staff. He will be a good guy to have Martin and Bean learn from as well.

Couldn't agree more.   The longer he's around in this kind of role, the better.   He's going to be a fantastic coach.

On 2/15/2018 at 8:47 AM, southsideguy said:

This is why you let your back up play some and not just be in there to hand the ball off.  Let them get a feel of the game but I guess you can't do that when we are winning games in the last minutes of games.

And they could have played him vs SMU, or FAU the first time when it was a blowout.. and they didn’t which is very odd