DRC: Who won signing day in C-USA? Hint -- think buffalo

Brett Vito

On 2/8/2018 at 6:24 PM, Ben Gooding said:

Move along, nothing to see here. Marshall has historical bad retention. I'll be very surprised if their actual haul is 25. 

Yeah this is the problem with NSD rankings especially at this level. I think last year they are still ranking UTSA really high because of the 4-star dude they got that was out here robbing people. smh. 

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

That's alright.  In 2014, Jeffrey Wilson's signing class, we ranked #9 and Marshall, ODU and Southern Miss ranked #1 - #3.  We either overachieved, or those rankings are like preseason ramkings...something for people to shout about.

Or we got Mason Fine, a once-in-20-years impact player at arguably the most impactful position in CUSA football.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Or we got Mason Fine, a once-in-20-years impact player at arguably the most impactful position in CUSA football.

Getting Fine was like getting Booger.   Finding a true Diamond in the rough at the most impactful position on their side of the ball.  

The problem with trying to luck into those one a generation players is that you end up having success about as once a generation.   

58 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yes, and the his recruiting class wasn't rated very high either.

If Fine was 3 inches taller, he would have had offers from every major program in the country.

The QB position - moreso than any other - is the one that can fool the ratings.  A few inches short.  Arm strength.  Etc.  All excuses that get coaches and ratings to lower their recruiting value.  But put them in the right system under the right staff and they can carry an entire team.

This isn't an argument against the ratings.  It's the exception.  The Booger, as Cerebus referenced above.  We cannot keep counting on Fines and Boogers or we will only have this success while they are here, once every 20 years.  Because as our recruiting continues to be average, we will have average results when they aren't here.

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree 100%, but I choose to see how classes develop over time. For instance, our 2012 class, if I am remembering the correct year, ended up being an almost wash out with very few, if any, really contributing. 

The 2012 class was also just awful, ratings-wise.     No correlation there?